gas cap gasket

• Is the rubber gasket that is in the gas cap important. stopped for fuel today and when I took the cap off the rubber gasket just fell out ie is all cracked up and pieces even broke out of the center. when I was done fueling I put the gasket back in the cap and it is intact around the edges so I suspect it it still sealing well, but I am sure it will deteriorate more and eventually will be useless.

What I want to know is can I just discard it and if I do am I going to start getting engine codes like you do in a car when you leave the gas cap off

also does anyone know where I can get a replacement? I looked on the polaris site and they dont list it as a separate part and I dont really want to buy a gas cap just for the rubber washer/gasket part

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL
    JRI GT coil overs, DDM short shifter
    Twist Dynamics Sway Bar & DDM mounts

MeanSling Sport Top & Other Misc Goodies

• It isn't a sealed system. Mine fell out long ago.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor"

"a turbo spooling up is just the small time we let you supercharger owners have some false hope of actually winning... " - rabtech

• It isn't a sealed system. Mine fell out long ago.

thank you. I am in California and I noticed that on the polaris site under parts there is some evaporative crap specific to California only, but the cap seems to be the same for all

• Yeah it is only a capture tank under the fin. Can yank that too if you reroute the hose. I just left it there though when I moved. Doesn’t hurt anything.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor"

"a turbo spooling up is just the small time we let you supercharger owners have some false hope of actually winning... " - rabtech

• Yeah it is only a capture tank under the fin. Can yank that too if you reroute the hose. I just left it there though when I moved. Doesn’t hurt anything.

Thank you very much for your help - I didnt think the gasket was a big deal, but its nice to have your confirmation

next time i fuel I will chuck it

:D

• If your really wanting a new one I found a new one to replace it at Ace hardware. Just a FYI.

Tell us more. Do you have a part number of which section it's in and what it's called? (plumbing, nut and bolt section, ect)

If your carpet has to match the drapes,
    shouldn't your trailer match your Slingshot?

• Tell us more. Do you have a part number of which section it's in and what it's called? (plumbing, nut and bolt section, ect)

yes! I wouldnt even know where to start looking in my ACE

• No part number it was when I first got my sling. They have a section with plastic and rubbers gaskets and stuff related to them. It was probly 2 years ago I got a locking gas cap and shipped the original to someone on here who needed it.

• Is the rubber gasket that is in the gas cap important. stopped for fuel today and when I took the cap off the rubber gasket just fell out ie is all cracked up and pieces even broke out of the center. when I was done fueling I put the gasket back in the cap and it is intact around the edges so I suspect it it still sealing well, but I am sure it will deteriorate more and eventually will be useless.

What I want to know is can I just discard it and if I do am I going to start getting engine codes like you do in a car when you leave the gas cap off

also does anyone know where I can get a replacement? I looked on the polaris site and they dont list it as a separate part and I dont really want to buy a gas cap just for the rubber washer/gasket part

Mine started falling out once in a while...it appears it was once permanently connected and that connection broke.

The gasket serves a purpose or Polaris wouldn’t have bothered...

Gasoline evaporates and the gasket is to, #1 prevent that and #2 to keep evaporating fumes from entering the atmosphere....think pollution...and you might start smelling gas fumes.