US is cracking down on custom tunes?

• Seems the DOJ and EPA are cracking down on custom tunes that defeat or assist removal of emissions equipment. They've gone after one manufacturer of tuning equipment and say it's a warning to others.

Aftermarket Defeat Device Maker Defeated by EPA | auto connected car news

• the one way many manufactures of after market things that might change emissions do to avoid problems is to labeling them as "for off road use only" - - this shifts the liability to the person who buys it.

I would imagine people who are selling tunes would do the same thing

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• the one way many manufactures of after market things that might change emissions do to avoid problems is to labeling them as "for off road use only" - - this shifts the liability to the person who buys it.

I would imagine people who are selling tunes would do the same thing

We talked to a couple companies that do emission testing locally about this a couple years ago along with a former EPA technician. Although a statement like that does push some of the responsibility to the customer, the general consesus of all the official people we talked to, said that if you are big enough and know in general that your product is being used mostly on the street, that disclaimer will do anything to defend you. If your sole business is off road vehicles and someone gets your parts and uses them on the street is one thing, but if you are designing and marketing the products in such a way as the average person sees it as a performance upgrade for their street vehicle, you will be held liable, if the EPA decides to come after you. A lot of the laws on this have been out there for years, it is just that those laws were not enforced and now we are starting to see enforcement of some of the laws that are on the books.

• We need to collectively request all the sellers of such items that most of us have already purchased or want to purchase....to please delete our names for their computer sales records...NOW.

And when is the last time you took your slingshot off road?

It’s street legal therein lies the problem.

• We talked to a couple companies that do emission testing locally about this a couple years ago along with a former EPA technician. Although a statement like that does push some of the responsibility to the customer, the general consesus of all the official people we talked to, said that if you are big enough and know in general that your product is being used mostly on the street, that disclaimer will do anything to defend you. If your sole business is off road vehicles and someone gets your parts and uses them on the street is one thing, but if you are designing and marketing the products in such a way as the average person sees it as a performance upgrade for their street vehicle, you will be held liable, if the EPA decides to come after you. A lot of the laws on this have been out there for years, it is just that those laws were not enforced and now we are starting to see enforcement of some of the laws that are on the books.

just like all the big drug busts in the months before the election....look what we did elect our party.

• I am sure all of the tuned cars , engines, and Slingshots produce more pollution than say a fleet of 18 wheelers, an ocean liner or cruise ship.

The epa hit the trucking industry hard. Started back around 2004. The price of trucks doubled over night. Reliability rent to crap and put a lot of people out of business. The epa got a boat load of money from Volkswagen and they are spending going after everyone.

• In California it is technically illegal to change any component of the intake or exhaust systems unless what you install has been approved by the California Air Recourses Board (CARB) the reason I say “technically” is because at this time there are no inspections, smog or other, for motorcycles. I do believe it is only a matter of time before smog inspections do become required as such I see no point in making any changes that can not be easily reversed for inspections

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

Edited 2 times, last by Edward Neal ().

• That makes me wonder why Polaris ever spent the money and weight to add a catalytic converter. I thought it was so they could sell them in California...because of their existing pollution laws. Now I’m wondering if there could be a federal law regarding motors over a certain displacement.

• That makes me wonder why Polaris ever spent the money and weight to add a catalytic converter. I thought it was so they could sell them in California...because of their existing pollution laws. Now I’m wondering if there could be a federal law regarding motors over a certain displacement.

Just because California does not inspect at this time does not mean they do not have requirements that must be met for a vehicle to be sold

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• You can place a high chunk of the blame on the dumb ass people that tune their pickup just so they can "roll coal" or leave a huge plume of black exhaust every time they leave the light. Been trying to educate these nitwits for years that if they keep blowing smoke at every opportunity they were going to attract to much attention of the environment loving public. So this is a real good case of a few ruining it for the many.

Off the soap box

LC

• @Dave@DDMWorks let's start looking into this.... :D
    Always a way to get what you want if you look for solutions outside of the box.

This Aftermarket Hybrid Unit Adds 175 HP To Porsche 991 and 981 Models

Now yes it's a little limited in use and does cost a bit more than a SC or Turbo but based on what I have seen people spend on thier slings it might still be an option... :rolleyes:

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• @Dave@DDMWorks let's start looking into this.... :D
    Always a way to get what you want if you look for solutions outside of the box.

This Aftermarket Hybrid Unit Adds 175 HP To Porsche 991 and 981 Models

Now yes it's a little limited in use and does cost a bit more than a SC or Turbo but based on what I have seen people spend on thier slings it might still be an option... :rolleyes:

And how does this help big oil?
    And corrupt politicians and lobbyists?

After the inventors mysterious pending death (suiciding himself) from falling over the railing of some high rise after being there for no good reason....the government will take control of this deadly invention and it will disappear forever.....

• And how does this help big oil?And corrupt politicians and lobbyists?

After the inventors mysterious pending death (suiciding himself) from falling over the railing of some high rise after being there for no good reason....the government will take control of this deadly invention and it will disappear forever.....

God knows I dont trust my government, but at least they are predictable. The conspiracy theorists on the other hand frighten me. They have a kind of crazy that leads to the creation of people like Timothy McVeigh