Lightening the SlingShot

• This is just a curiosity thing where I know beginning with the 2016 model the first couple of modifications Polaris made to the SlingShot themselves was to lighten the hood, frame and ? When looking at the parts manual some of the earlier structures have been substituted and no longer available? What I am curious about is how they changed these components compared to our 2015?

Bill

• The first thing I am aware of they did to cut weight was to downsize the battery. I have also seen photos showing changes were made where the swing arm connects to the frame replacing a heavy cast steel section with a tubular steel section - like you I would love more information on this.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Yep, when they added the fan shroud and muffler heat shield to the SlingShot, Polaris downsized the battery at the same time to maintain the weight..............

Bill

I have a 2016 and it came with the smaller battery, but not the fan shroud or muffler heat shield - if I understand it correctly those were not added until they did the 2016 1/2 changes

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Come to think about it I think you are right, the 2015 heat reduction kit included the smaller battery, the 2016 did not.....................

We have installed the muffler heat shield only, we did not add the radiator shroud and are keeping the larger battery............

Bill

• Some areas they actually increased size. The lower chin wing brace has been made stronger and larger compared to early models.

Hoops were also reworked in 2017 and have larger openings than the earlier versions. Do not know if this translated to reduced weight but if it did it would be very little. More than likely ballanced out with the addition of SlingShade mounting points.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• 2016 1/2, (maybe the '16 too), they greatly reduced the size of the side panel supports/bracing, located directly under the side panels, in the interior top portion of the side panel- lightened the load, and guaranteed if you put any weight on the side panel, you would get star cracks in the paint, at a minimum.

• yep. I'm about to put in a warranty claim for several pieces of bodywork. The side panels have started to "crack and star". And the back deck has some weird wavy look starting to appear. I looked under it and nothing is even close to it. I guess heat may have warped it a little. I'm sure Polaris will want many photos. It's a good thing I got the 5 year warranty....