MeanSling Sport Top and rain?

• After quite an extensive behind the scenes conversation with Patrick, with him very patiently answering all of my questions, I brought the idea before Justina to get her thoughts. My main consideration was making a more comfortable ride in the rain, but the first thing she brought up was shade, then the second question, which I had not considered at all, was if it would help in keeping road debris out of the cabin? See, she has been clobbered twice now, the most recent a couple of weeks ago when we came up on a backhoe being towed when it caught some overhanging branches, bringing several down upon us, (thank-goodness for helmets!)

Our MeanSling Sport Top is now on order!

Bill

• Order placed later Saturday evening, Here it is Sunday evening and we get the following message:

"Bill,

Your top is being packed up now. It will ship out tomorrow before I
    head out of town. Be on the lookout for the FedEx tracking number. It
    will be emailed to you later tomorrow.

Thanks again. Feel free to call with any questions.

Patrick"

Oh, we don't have to wait for the tracking information, I see it has arrived in our email just now!

8o8o8o8o8o8o8o8o8o

Bill

• Ma Nature obliged me with some showers this evening allowing me to check out the Sport Top in the rain and here are my findings. I was hoping that maybe the windshield would blow most of the rain up on to, or over, the top. Well, no such luck, the rain still comes in under the top getting me wet from the chest on up. And while stopped? That gap in front of the top over the dash allowed rain to get me wet from about the knees on down, plus the water dripped off of the leading edge of the top. So, in a disappointing conclusion, the top helped some by keeping me drier from the chest on down while moving, and from the knees on up when sitting still, but overall not really enough to make any significant difference. I came back about as wet as if we had no top. :(

Bill

• Ma Nature obliged me with some showers this evening allowing me to check out the Sport Top in the rain and here are my findings. I was hoping that maybe the windshield would blow most of the rain up on to, or over, the top. Well, no such luck, the rain still comes in under the top getting me wet from the chest on up. And while stopped? That gap in front of the top over the dash allowed rain to get me wet from about the knees on down, plus the water dripped off of the leading edge of the top. So, in a disappointing conclusion, the top helped some by keeping me drier from the chest on down while moving, and from the knees on up when sitting still, but overall not really enough to make any significant difference. I came back about as wet as if we had no top. :(

Bill

Adjust your Madstad so it is standing straight up and not leaning back at all and with about a 1 inch gap at the bottom. I have found this will help push a majority of the air (and rain) over the top.

• Adjust your Madstad so it is standing straight up and not leaning back at all and with about a 1 inch gap at the bottom. I have found this will help push a majority of the air (and rain) over the top.

Thanks SlingRazor, coincidentally that is pretty close to where I had the windshield adjusted, all the way forward and approximately 1.25 inch gap at the bottom...............but your post has returned my confidence that this should work, I'll keep experimenting. Since not much water seems to sneak underneath the windshield, I'll try sneaking up a bit higher.

Bill

• Thanks SlingRazor, coincidentally that is pretty close to where I had the windshield adjusted, all the way forward and approximately 1.25 inch gap at the bottom...............but your post has returned my confidence that this should work, I'll keep experimenting.
    Bill

May I suggest you experiment with some rain gear...? Your going to be needing it. :D

• Thanks SlingRazor, coincidentally that is pretty close to where I had the windshield adjusted, all the way forward and approximately 1.25 inch gap at the bottom...............but your post has returned my confidence that this should work, I'll keep experimenting. Since not much water seems to sneak underneath the windshield, I'll try sneaking up a bit higher.
    Bill

You can check it when it is not raining. When you get it correct there will be very little air flow coming under the top from the windshield. Just adjust it , drive it, check the air flow by placing your hand just below the edge of the top. You will feel the difference as you adjust the angle and height.
    Where does the rear catch for the top grab the pin? Is there room behind the catch and the back end of the pin? You can adjust the top further to the rear to allow the airflow a change to be pushed over the top. How high do you have your top set? Mine is on the lowest setting on the back and the lowest level pair of holes on the front. Having the top adjusted as low and back assists the airflow over the top.

• Do you have a MeanSling top and Madstad windshield?If so, please help.
    Those with the top are trying to provide some help to a member.

Sourpuss it's classified as a motorcycle and your going to get wet if you ride in the rain. No matter what mods you add your going to stay drier if you prepare for it by wearing rain gear.

• Sourpuss it's classified as a motorcycle and your going to get wet if you ride in the rain. No matter what mods you add your going to stay drier if you prepare for it by wearing rain gear.

That's funny! I have rode my whole life and learned that if I set up the correct windshield that managed the airflow, I could ride in the rain from full tank to empty if I was above 30 mph. The same can be accomplished with the sling, that is why those of use who have purchased the products are trying to assist with factual information.

• You can check it when it is not raining. When you get it correct there will be very little air flow coming under the top from the windshield. Just adjust it , drive it, check the air flow by placing your hand just below the edge of the top. You will feel the difference as you adjust the angle and height.Where does the rear catch for the top grab the pin? Is there room behind the catch and the back end of the pin? You can adjust the top further to the rear to allow the airflow a change to be pushed over the top. How high do you have your top set? Mine is on the lowest setting on the back and the lowest level pair of holes on the front. Having the top adjusted as low and back assists the airflow over the top.

MeanSling Sport Top first ride

Your suggestions are interesting, Slingrazor, for I just came in from wiping down the grasshopper and again, coincidentally, I just now readjusted the top to it's lowest settings all the way around pretty much as you recommended. :)

Oh, and folks, please allow me to assure you all that we have been riding the Grasshopper for nearly 3 1/2 years now in the Pacific Northwest, We are very well experienced getting wet while riding this motorcycle in the rain, where the rain gear has it's permanent home in the bottoms of the baggage compartments! :P

If it is still raining tomorrow we'll continue this fun of experimenting! We're already very happy with the top for the other positive attributes that it has shown us, if we can keep a lil drier in the wet it will be just sprinkles on the icing of the cake! ^^

Bill

• MeanSling Sport Top first ride
    Your suggestions are interesting, Slingrazor, for I just came in from wiping down the grasshopper and again, coincidentally, I just now readjusted the top to it's lowest settings all the way around pretty much as you recommended. :)

Oh, and folks, please allow me to assure you all that we have been riding the Grasshopper for nearly 3 1/2 years now in the Pacific Northwest, We are very well experienced getting wet while riding this motorcycle in the rain, where the rain gear has it's permanent home in the bottoms of the baggage compartments! :P

Bill

Funny thing is we always found the rain gear up in Oregon to be the best quality and lowest cost (wonder why). Really like the Olympia gear we purchased up there a couple of years ago.

• That's funny! I have rode my whole life and learned that if I set up the correct windshield that managed the airflow, I could ride in the rain from full tank to empty if I was above 30 mph. The same can be accomplished with the sling, that is why those of use who have purchased the products are trying to assist with factual information.

I heard the same thing on the goldwing forum. LMAO everytime I heard it too. :D

• @Slingrazor again thank you for your assistance with this. The top was designed with a great deal of adjustment built in for various reasons. It is for this reason it is very hard to make any claims or statements regarding how the top functions in the rain. Various windshields, top placement, and angle of attack all play a major part in airflow into the cabin. At the same time this ability to adjust allow the owner to find that position that works best for them rather than having to except a fixed design.
    @wjfyfe really appreciate your insight and information you are posted for others to use.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• I was up and down part of the night so was out playing some more with the top and it ultimately become apparent that the SlingShot is not symmetrical from side to side, (I really should have realized this when MeanSling sent two differently dimensioned drivers side front tubes, DUH!) The instructions state to use one tube and if there is over a 3/4" difference in height from the passenger tube, install the alternate tube. We only had about a 5/8" difference so I left the original tube in place where I was finding that to level the top from side to side I was almost all the way down in the adjusting slots on the driver's side, and just the opposite on the passenger side, limiting my vertical adjustment options. Well, I finally decided to try changing out the driver's side to the alternate tube and now WALLA, I use the same holes on both sides now. 8o

Added note, and another DUH, if you are going to adjust the top to an ADJUSTABLE windshield, it will also help greatly if you make sure that the windshield is level! :S

Bill