New Owners Important Slingshot Infomation

• Index of Subjects, Click on subject link for access.

Maintenance Schedule
    How to properly check your oil level
    Elevating Slingshot for Service
    Transporting the Slingshot, Tie Down Locations
    Priming the Fuel System when run out of Gas
    Engine Error Codes and how to display cause
    Clock and Trip Meter Reset
    What to do when you get a "EPAS" Warning Light
    ESP Switch Explained, Located under the Black Mode Switch
    Video on How to Check Fuses
    How to access Battery and perform maintenance
    Hydroplaning, things to know
    Proper Fueling Techniques Video
    Headlight System Explained, US and Canadian Style
    Max Load Capacity 457 LBS Driver, Pass, Cargo and Accessories
    Mode Switch, Video Explanation
    Covering the Slingshot Procedure
    Trailer Options
    Insurance Policies and Average Cost
    Tire Rim Maintenance Made Easy
    Caution when Parking the Slingshot
    Important Information before Driving in the Rain
    Audio System Explained
    Check on Product Safety Recalls for Slingshot
    Mini Tool Kit and supplies to Carry
    Helmets and Seat Belts Requirements

New Owners, I would like to use this thread to give you some of the most important information about your Slingshot in my opinion. Most information presented is in your owners manual. I will also present tools used in performing maintenance. I encourage you to read the Owners Manual. It is filled with very good information and written in a clear easy to understand way. It is laid out well with a correct flow of information. In the back you will find an index that will lead you directly to the subject information you seek. For the folks that want to perform their own maintenance, you must use products that meet the specifications of the Polaris Products. You will find that Polaris suggest you use Polaris Products, and take your Slingshot to a dealer, but they also indicate if you have the skills you can perform the maintenance, but must maintain specs condition for the maintenance. The owners manual has many references to safety while performing maintenance, they indicate the level of danger for a procedure for maintenance. Wear protective eye wear, cock wheels when lifting your Slingshot, and all safety steps. Think safety for yourself and the people helping and are around you when you work. If you are not familiar with jacks and raising a vehicle, you should seek knowledgeable help before doing it. Most maintenance can be performed without raising the vehicle. Oil and Filter Change is the most popular Maintenance procedure that most new owners want to do themselves. I have a video that will show this procedure and doing it without raising the Slingshot. It is a thread on this Page. There is a maintenance schedule in the Owners Manual that will give all maintenance schedules for all maintenance for the Slingshot. When you perform you own maintenance you must check all scheduled items on the list that are required for the scheduled time. When you do your own maintenance you are responsible for all maintenance items. When you take it to the dealer, they have the responsibility. It is more satisfying as an owner to learn the procedures to perform you own maintenance and it is much easier for your time and not having to take to dealer and waiting to be completed. Your first major Maintenance that must be performed is the 500 mile oil and filter change. So my advice is come to this thread and I will try to give you information that will speed up learning about your Slingshot. There are many other members on this forum that are very knowledgeable, if you do not find an answer to a question you have about an issue on my section Page, please go to appropriate area and post your concerns and many folks will come to your aid.

Here is a link for the 2015 and 2017 Slingshot Owners Manual for access quickly. If anyone can give me a PDF Link, I will place here for other years. I could only find these issues online.

2015 Slingshot Owners Manual.pdf - Google Drive

2017 Slingshot Owners Manual.pdf - Google Drive

New Owners, I know the feeling you had when you took possession of the keys. Here is a video of our First Slingshot Pickup and drive for the first time. I still remember the feeling, and I have it captured.

Edited 40 times, last by samowens44: want to add a video to thread beginning ().

• You forgot to warn them of the financial danger of hanging out in this forum - Many new owners may not be aware of all of the goodies they will learn about here :)

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL
    JRI GT coil overs, DDMWorks short shifter
    Twist Dynamics Sway Bar with DDMWorks mounts

• Here is the required Scheduled Maintenance at the Mileages reached. Also is the Introduction to Maintenance and How important it is. The Code at the beginning in first column is explained in the Maintenance Key Chart

• The first thing new owners want to do after getting used to enjoying the first rides and the excitement of owning a Polaris Slingshot. You have discovered you get questions all the time as you travel around and park. Once you get through this period, you will start wondering about accessories and what is available and how will your warranty be affected. Also, the title of this Post is Fueling the Slingshot. So here is my information about these subjects and what Polaris Says about it.

• The Polaris Slingshot has a specific way to check the oil that may be different than what you know from driving your vehicle and vehicles over the years. Look at the procedure for checking your oil level on the Polaris Slingshot. It is in the Owners Manual and here is the area highlighted for you. Now I am also highlighting the Pre-Ride Inspections. Yes Polaris recommends you do this total check each time before you drive your slingshot. I am point out one item, the Engine Oil Level Check. Folks this is suggested, but if you drive the slingshot without any coolant in the system and you restore the engine, Polaris will show you this pre-ride inspections area and if you had done it your engine would not be restored. Just letting you know you have responsibility to keep all levels proper for your warranty to be in effect. Knowledge is your best friend, read the Owners manual.

• You forgot to warn them of the financial danger of hanging out in this forum - Many new owners may not be aware of all of the goodies they will learn about here :)

Yes, Edward, I may do a special post on that issue and want help forum all with what to list for their first ads. I welcome our members to post in this thread on what has been posted so far. Let's build their experience in levels. I still have a lot of basic task I want to post here. Thanks for that idea.

• In this thread, all post are from information in the 2017 Owners Manual, some years may be different. Always check your year owners manual for your Slingshot for proper information. Changes may be made from year to year.

Elevating the Slingshot, getting it in the air to have access underneath. There are not too many reasons you need to go under the Slingshot to perform most Maintenance and if you do need access it is only necessary for your arms to reach areas of importance. There are requirements of raising the rear wheel for checking the Drive Belt Adjustments. You will not find a recommended way of raising the rear wheel in the Owners Manual. I do show how I raise the rear wheel to check and make adjustments to the Drive Belt in my several video dealing with the Drive Belt. Cleaning the wheels and rims is a valid reason to raise the vehicle. It sure makes it an easy task. Yes, I have a video on the subject. Here is the Polaris Slingshot recommended places to raise your Slingshot.

• Elevating the Slingshot, getting it in the air to have access underneath. There are not too many reasons you need to go under the Slingshot to perform most Maintenance and if you do need access it is only necessary for your arms to reach areas of importance. There are requirements of raising the rear wheel for checking the Drive Belt Adjustments. You will not find a recommended way of raising the rear wheel in the Owners Manual. I do show how I raise the rear wheel to check and make adjustments to the Drive Belt in my several video dealing with the Drive Belt. Cleaning the wheels and rims is a valid reason to raise the vehicle. It sure makes it an easy task. Yes, I have a video on the subject. Here is the Polaris Slingshot recommended places to raise your Slingshot.

@samowens44 here is where you would want to refer to the owners manual since I believe the frame change in 2017 gives a different set of spots for those pre 2017 vs post 2017

• As new Owners arrive to the forefront of our new exciting sport, "Slinging", they are will be exploring towing the slingshot. Trailers will be covered in a special post, but for now, folks may have a trailer that will fit the Slingshot. Tying down the Slingshot is important to do correctly. There are a number of different system of tie down systems. I am only going to show what the owners manual covers for towing. If you want to do a different system this will be a question to present to the forum and folks will show their experiences. I use this system for tie down and have used it for over 15,000 miles of trailer across the nation. Some people think of tow dolly's as an option for towing the Slingshot, Polaris addresses this option in their towing information.

• @samowens44 here is where you would want to refer to the owners manual since I believe the frame change in 2017 gives a different set of spots for those pre 2017 vs post 2017

This will be a good place to make note to using your year Owners Manual for proper points for your vehicle. There is no way I can post every option for all years. I am posting only 2017 year Slingshot information. I will post this at the beginning of this thread. Thanks Ross.

• Here is one thing that may save you from a tow truck. You may run out of gas with your exciting ride. You may get a can of gas and think all is well, I will be home soon. You need to know this information before you run out of gas. How to prime the fuel system when you have reached this point. This information is in the 2017 Owners Manual, check your year in case there may be differences. Prepare for the unexpected, read the owners manual. You do not want to be without the proper knowledge to get on the road with the least delay.

• Taking a break, much more to come! If you are a guest viewing this, become a member and start posting your issues, questions, and input with your knowledge. Yes, we want to know what issues you have had, or anything that will help all our family members. Thanks for viewing.

• More information for all that will be of great value is the Error Code Display. Again, this is all in your Owners Manual. Be sure to check your year model, all my displays of information are from 2017 models. Most stuff will be the same, but check and read your manual. I mean it, it is well worth the effort.

Now when that error check engine light comes on, you will know how to isolate the problem. When you get the code and don't have a list of the codes, just post a thread to ask for help. You may get someone that know just what to do to fix it. Be prepared and always ready for the unexpected.

• I know the sales guy did not go over how to set the clock on the Slingshot. Well here is the procedure, it is in the owners manual. Don't drive around with the clock wrong. Someone is going to say, clock, I did not know there was a clock where is it. At the bottom of the speedometer under the odometer. Now set that clock!

• This condition may come up in some cases of getting ready to leave and get distracted and leave the key in the on position and come back later to find your power assistance does not work and you have a EPAS lamp lite. You may be out somewhere and feel like it is unsafe to drive and call a tow truck. Be ready for this condition, it has happened to a lot of folks and it is alarming at first. Now you will know what to do. This again is in the Manual.

• Here is what that button below the Mode button on the console does and how it does it. Watch the video and get a full understanding of two features it controls. For your safety, you should understand these features and how they effect the stability of your Slingshot before using this control button. Your Slingshot has 3 wheels and not 4. This makes the Slingshot less controllable under certain condition that require the special Stability Control system. It helps control the intended direction of steering to complete the direction as safe as possible. There is software that is monitoring your steering and when conditions are out of limits, the program uses the ABS Braking and engine power control to interact to keep you in a safe path. When you depress this control button, you are taking this software out of the control and you are less safe for your driving experience. The average driver should not use this button, it is there for special performance driving conditions to perform special performance actions. Mainly "Drifting" Performance Driving. This would not be a legal street driving condition, but used on a special track competition.

Here is your Owners Manual section on ESP.

Folks, these features will not protect you under every condition you drive under. You still have to maintain a safe driving attitude. You will not be protected by unsafe driving practices. Please read carefully the attached documents from the Owners Manual. Very important, the ESP will not be effective under Hydroplaning conditions, so when you see water in the road ahead, slow down and be ready for the effects, there are no controls you can apply that will work. Your best plan is to be ready to avoid this condition.

• As a new owner enjoys the newness of their Slingshot and all the attention that goes with it, here is an area that is important and may help with a power issue. The most common problem that can happen to new owners is plugging in a device, charger, or high energy product that blows the fuse supplying power because of too much current draw. Plugging a Tire Pressure tool into the power port can draw too much current. At first you may not no what to do, with a understanding of where the fuses are located, how to find and check the fuse will allow you to troubleshoot the circuit with ease. Replace blown fuse and be back in business. Here is a video that will help with this issue.

I show using a volt meter, you can use a test light to check the fuse for proper operation. Good Luck and be prepared. Knowledge is your best friend for the unexpected!

• @samowens44 your work & videos have been very helpful to me as I have made my decision to purchase a 2019 slingshot.
    Hope that you will continue to update your helpful info for those of us with newer models!
    Thanks again!!

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.