slingshot outrageous noise

• I use to get a defining noise on the turnpike every day going home from work. Had ringing in my ears by the time I got home. Like I had been to a rock concert standing in front of a speaker. I also changed to Royal Purple oil and not much changed. The I read about cleaning the belt. So tooth brush in hand I scrubbed every slot and to my surprise it cut it down in at least half. Plus the more miles I put on her the more the noise goes away.

Hmmm... someone named Chain who knows about belts :)
    Seriously though for the OP, at 10K it should have quieted down. Mine took several thousand miles. Having set up some rear ends in past, I've been of the opinion that Polaris didn't do a great job aligning the gears and we're only getting some relief as they wear in. It's a good thing to change the oil to get rid of those particulates.

• A question that I have for those that have issues with the drive line tunes, when we test drove our SlingShot for the first time we noticed the sound and asked about it, whereas the dealer was honest, telling us that it was normal, and just part of owning a SlingShot. We decided to purchase the Grasshopper anyways. Did any of you actually test drive the SlingShot that you purchased?
    Bill

I was allowed to be a passenger.... X(

• A question that I have for those that have issues with the drive line tunes, when we test drove our SlingShot for the first time we noticed the sound and asked about it, whereas the dealer was honest, telling us that it was normal, and just part of owning a SlingShot. We decided to purchase the Grasshopper anyways. Did any of you actually test drive the SlingShot that you purchased?
    Bill

I bought my slingshot Dec 31, my test drive was me taking it home on what felt like -20f weather (no trailer) and then didn't ride it for 3 months after purchase so by the time I was really aware of the it was too late.

Honestly my only issue with the angle drive whine is due to fear of failure vs the noise it makes since the noise is masked by exhaust and radio.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I bought my slingshot Dec 31, my test drive was me taking it home on what felt like -20f weather (no trailer) and then didn't ride it for 3 months after purchase so by the time I was really aware of the it was too late.
    Honestly my only issue with the angle drive whine is due to fear of failure vs the noise it makes since the noise is masked by exhaust and radio.

You only have to worry if the noise suddenly stops...

• I agree with Dale and many others. The rear end noise really effects the enjoyment I get from driving my SS. The number one question I get asked every time I give someone a ride for the first time is what's with all the noise. Does anyone know of any mods short of doing the four wheel conversion that would solve this problem? I know you can switch to automatic transmission and that would get rid of the bearing sound coming from the right angle drive but I believe they still use the belt drive so you would still get the whining sound from that. I would gladly pay for a mod that would alow me to hear music,wind and exhaust instead of howling during load and the sound of bearings while coasting.

• My 2 cents...

The Slingshot right angle gearcase cover is a structural part, but it's also thin. This means that as the force is transmitted 90 degrees, lateral vibrations are created as the gear teeth mesh. This turns the gearcase cover into an 8" diameter convex speaker cone. This serves as a great impedence match with the surrounding air for transmitting sound. There are those who have sound insulated the trans tunnel and rear areas of the car to reduce sound levels to the driver/passenger. A better solution might be to find a way to brace the gearcase cover to either shift it's resonant frequency much higher (so that the plastic panels can deflect the sound) or have a compliant rubber contact to damp vibrations. Covering the gearcase cover with a sound absorbing mat would not be a good idea as that would retain heat.

• My 2 cents...

The Slingshot right angle gearcase cover is a structural part, but it's also thin. This means that as the force is transmitted 90 degrees, lateral vibrations are created as the gear teeth mesh. This turns the gearcase cover into an 8" diameter convex speaker cone. This serves as a great impedence match with the surrounding air for transmitting sound. There are those who have sound insulated the trans tunnel and rear areas of the car to reduce sound levels to the driver/passenger. A better solution might be to find a way to brace the gearcase cover to either shift it's resonant frequency much higher (so that the plastic panels can deflect the sound) or have a compliant rubber contact to damp vibrations. Covering the gearcase cover with a sound absorbing mat would not be a good idea as that would retain heat.

Combined with it being solidly bolted to an open tube frame acting as a giant resonance chamber ......

..... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Going on our ride today coincidentally my wife and I mentioned how quiet our Slingshot is now after 12,000 miles. I remember hearing someone on an earlier thread quite some time ago say that after 7 to 10,000 miles things quiet down. Seems like that has worked for me however I do remember first driving it and wondering if something was seriously wrong because of that gear whine.

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• My SS RAD got much quieter after installing a rear exit exhaust system and started wearing a 3/4 helmet. My dealer tightened up the clearance between the ring and worm gear after installing new crush and oil seal. They actually got it a bit too tight and had to back it off some after I noticed it would not roll on a gentle slope. Now it is virtually silent below 45 mph has a bit between 47 & 50 but over that goes real quiet again until you back off the gas and it howls as normal, also when coasting above 50. Sorry for the long retort.

• What I find very interesting is how with most folks who "whine" about the angle drive, that their SlingShots whine obviously did not start until after the sale? When you think about it, this is pretty ingenious on Polaris' part how they stick it to folks like that and wonder how they continue to pull this off? :whistling:

Bill

• Polaris chose their angle drive design knowing it would make noise.Shortly after buying my 2015 Slingshot base model, I received the first Polaris Slingshot survey and one of the questions asked if I would be willing to pay more (as much as $1000, IIRC) for a quieter angle drive. I PDF'd the survey here - 2015 Polaris Slingshot Survey Topics

I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on SC's, exhausts, better stereo system, headsets, intercom system to keep from hearing that noisy right angle drive and your telling me I could have gotten all that straight from polaris for a measly thousand dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DANGIT MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• I had pulled over to adjust the top/windshield during some experimentation when a fellow came running over asking how I liked the top? It kind of caught me off guard because the only reason someone would ask that question would be if they had a SlingShot themselves? It turns out we now are not the only SlingShot in town, there is a 2018 SLR now running around, yippee! :D

This is only the second opportunity I have had to talk with another SlingShot owner in person, but to keep things pertinent to this thread, he caught my attention when he stated that he really liked the gear whine of the SlingShot. It apparently brings back memories of his younger years running straight-cut gears and he finds the whine comforting and reassuring that he is riding a "real" machine. I am going to have to find out more the next time I see him, but I found it refreshing to hear somebody compliment the angle drive of the SlingShot rather than complain! :)

Bill