Red Button doesn’t start Sling...HELP!

• Swapped with another Yellow top from my Chevelle. Same issue. 12.8 volts at battery. Everything lights up. No button fire. I took the button out as well and tried cross the black with either the blue and red and it still didn’t fire. So I am thinking it’s not the stupid button either. Still could be the clutch switch, but I did jumper it. I have an appointment at the dealer for Friday. Just kills me I can figure it out.

Have you tried to push to start?

• McCaws I did jumper the clutch switch. I have not jumped started it. I am going to tow it to the dealer Friday morning. When we take it off the trailer I will try that. I am thinking it’s the solenoid as well at this point. Cause I may be putting power through the button but if the solenoid is dead it would do the same thing...

You guys are super helpful...

• TOW? OH CRAP Towing is another issue. You seem pretty mechanical so removing the front wont be an issue, if not it will scrape and possibly bend the front lower lip getting up on the tow truck bed. 2c ...
    4 screws on each side.

• Pull the starter relay and check for key on 12v lower left terminal. With trans in neutral jumper key on power to starter solenoid, if it starts then it's a problem before the relay. One side of the clutch switch is ground, the other wire is input to the cpu. The start switch has three wires. One is 12v key on, the middle wire is ground for the light in the switch and the third is input to the CPU. You can jumper the two outside terminals to bypass the start switch.

• Have you pushed it back and forth a good deal? As mentioned above, I have seen a couple of Slingshot do this and we pushed them back and forth a few feet and then the button worked. Not sure why, but I would try it...

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• @King I was able to get the starter to turn over the engine but it won’t start. Not sure at this point if it’s missing another connection. Acts like no fuel or something. @TravAZ I did rock it and move it forward and back a good 6 feet with nothing. I have not rolled it back out the driveway to jump start it yet. Figure since it doesn’t appear now to be the starter if that would work. Seems really strange to meat this point.

I tried to jumper the clutch switch which does nothing again.

• TOW? OH CRAP Towing is another issue. You seem pretty mechanical so removing the front wont be an issue, if not it will scrape and possibly bend the front lower lip getting up on the tow truck bed. 2c ...
    4 screws on each side.

Had to have mine towed a few months back and the flat bed they sent was jointed so that it went close to flat - got my sling on with no issues it was like this: - - the driver said of the ten trucks they have only one doesnt do this - it even had a cable guide that hooked in the bed by the break that kept the cable flat to the bed so it didnt hit either

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• @King I was able to get the starter to turn over the engine but it won’t start. Not sure at this point if it’s missing another connection. Acts like no fuel or something. @TravAZ I did rock it and move it forward and back a good 6 feet with nothing. I have not rolled it back out the driveway to jump start it yet. Figure since it doesn’t appear now to be the starter if that would work. Seems really strange to meat this point.

You might have to get it hooked up to the dealers computer at this point. The thing is the people here know more about the SS than any dealer out there.

Sounds like fuel pump not pressurizing since you are bypassing things. Does it make the noise like when you boot things up before you start it. Maybe ECU messed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

Dochatley
    Dallas, Texas

• If you can jumper the starter relay with the key on and it cranks but no start then it's a problem with the ECM. Try swapping out the ecm breaker and check all the fuses including the main fuses next to the battery. I would say the starter problem is just a symptom as it's controlled by the ecm along with fuel and spark.

Edited once, last by King ().

• Any chance you’re close to San Antonio TX? Otherwise got another SS you can swap ECMs with to test?

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• @2W2X1 The dealer called and it was my ECM. It was dead. The have no idea why. They hooked up diagnostics to it and it came back as bad. Horrible. I had a tune on my here too. So this will be $500 plus finding another used ECU

• Glad you got to the bottom of it. A re-tune from bob should be $20, not another $500. Is the dealer not replacing the ECM for you? Out of warranty??

I have a spare ECM here at the house. Happy to offer it up for a fair price... not sure what that is, but hate seeing a brother down.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1