What in the world is Polaris smoking?

• Just got an email today from Polaris. They are offering the ride command for the low low price of 2,549.99 but then you also need the navigation antenna for 519.99, oh and don't forget the dealer install fees of who knows what. Are they smoking something none of the rest of us can get? For less than half that you can get some really good navigation units that also have cd/DVD capabilities. I guess they figure if we lay out what we have for a SlingShot that we have never ending deep pockets, kind of like the government and taxes.

Rant off.

LC

• Fully agree...you have to buy an audio kit also on top of the nav kit, in addition to the $2549 price. So it does very little in it's base configuration. Seems completely out of touch with reality. It's a shame as there's a huge mod market out there for Slings if you can be competitive with after market offerings.

• One of the things that I dislike about most of the in car navigation systems is that they rely on built in maps that often times can only be updated by the dealer. Some time back we had a car that even though it was only a year old didnt have several newer neighborhoods included in the map, when you drove into those newer neighborhoods none of the roads showed. At the time the version of the maps software was the newest and a year or so later when they did have updated software the dealer wanted to charge me to install it. Ever since then I just use my phone and either apple maps or google - at least with these the maps are constantly kept fairly current and they are free.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I haven’t played my radio since I bought my SS. Phones have turn by turn maps on them.

I mostly stream music from my iPhone through the stock radio and I also use the phone for navigation. the one thing I do love about the stock system in my 2016 is that no one in their right mind would ever want to steal it. For me with my sling as my daily driver I see no reason to put in a better system that will just tempt people to want to take it from me - stock piece of junk is perfect for my needs and actually sounds pretty darn good when I stream my phone or pandora

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• One of the things that I dislike about most of the in car navigation systems is that they rely on built in maps that often times can only be updated by the dealer. Some time back we had a car that even though it was only a year old didnt have several newer neighborhoods included in the map, when you drove into those newer neighborhoods none of the roads showed. At the time the version of the maps software was the newest and a year or so later when they did have updated software the dealer wanted to charge me to install it. Ever since then I just use my phone and either apple maps or google - at least with these the maps are constantly kept fairly current and they are free.

Use an aftermarket radio that supports Android Auto or Apple Car Play and you can easily access your Nav program on-screen from your phone w/o having to pay thru the nose for a map update.
    See - The Best Car Stereos With Apple CarPlay and Android Auto: Reviews by Wirecutter | A New York Times Company or
    Android Auto: the Best of Your Phone in the Car

• Use an aftermarket radio that supports Android Auto or Apple Car Play and you can easily access your Nav program on-screen from your phone w/o having to pay thru the nose for a map update.
    See - The Best Car Stereos With Apple CarPlay and Android Auto: Reviews by Wirecutter | A New York Times Company or

Thanks for posting that. I’ve been talking to Shawn at SlingTunes about installing the Sony unit. Going to do it at Eureka Springs next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• Use an aftermarket radio that supports Android Auto or Apple Car Play and you can easily access your Nav program on-screen from your phone w/o having to pay thru the nose for a map update.See - The Best Car Stereos With Apple CarPlay and Android Auto: Reviews by Wirecutter | A New York Times Company or

NOW THATS AN INTRIQING SYSTEM @BKL thanks for the cool article , I want one ! Sony XAV-AX100

• What a lot of people are forgetting is a lot of these aftermarket units are not waterproof. They are designed to be inside a car. You can always plan on when its going to get wet.

It's not so much that we've forgotten, but that we've just come to realize and accept that we need to provide our own water protection, as best we can and within the limits of what we deem acceptable. There are only a couple of marine units that support a camera display, so you just need to get a waterproof cover and hope for the best. To me, the biggest problem with using a marine unit that supports a video/camera display is that these units require a remote to access most features rather than allowing the use of a switch to activate the camera display feature.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I still use the radio and sometimes it plays by itself but that is a whole other story. My Ipod is ok but I like that old song that pops up on the radio and I like, man I not hear that in a long time, loved that group. But that just the way I roll even though the radio sucks I still use it.

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing: