Took SS for 5000 mile service but dealer said no zerk fitting

• Hi Guys,

there has been many threads on the zerk fitting for the U Joint. For those of you who take your SS to the dealer for service you might want to ask them if they grease the zerk fitting. I asked the dealer I took my SS after the service and they said...

From the tech responding to first email
    DEAR DAVE
    THE THERE IS NO GREASE ZERKS FOR U-JOINTS FOR LUBRICATION, SERVICE WAS PERFORMED AS PER SERVICE MANUAL

I then sent them a picture of my copy of service manual with there is an L for drive shaft but they did sent a picture where they have an I. I also sent them a link to Sam's great video. This was the response
    my email
    Hope yourFriday is going well.I read your emailand I think we still disagree regarding the zerk fitting exists ( you wrote greasefitting in the email) and if such an operation is part of the 5000 mile servicefor a 2016 slingshot.I do believe thereis a zerk fitting (grease fitting) and it is part of the 5000 mile service.My understanding the zerk fitting went away startingwith 2017.5Of course I can be wrong. I donot work on SS for a living but based on what I have read and my understandingof it there is a zerk fitting.
    In aprevious email I sent a screen shot of the 2015 slingshot manual where theoperation is marked L – for lube.Inthis email I am also going to include a discussion form a forum regarding thistopic and a video which walks a person thru the process.
    If afterthis you and Troy still believe there is not a fitting I offer this.I will bring the Sling Shot in for service.If there is a zerk fitting Troy greases the fitting as part of the 5000 mile serviceif there is not a zerk fitting Troy willnot grease it.Both at no charge to me.
    I am alsovery open to other ideas.Thank you forfollowing up with me about this.

Dave

first link is article, 2nd link is needle for grease gun and I have one, and the video...

Greasing the U-joint (if yours has one) some newer Slingshots don't have this grease fitting.

https://www.amazon.com/Plews-0…rsports-convert-amazon-20
    Polaris Slingshot U Joint Maintenance Procedure

their response

Hi there Dave! I got your text and spoke with Troy about the service you are wanting done. Since there is no grease fitting on that part, the drive shaft must be removed to grease it. The labor for that service would be $90.00. I would be happy to schedule that for you if you'd like. The next available appointment I have is Saturday July 21st at 2:30. Please let me know if you would like that spot and I'll put you down. Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing from you!

we talked on the phone and the next step was to ask Poloris

Hi there! I received a message back from Polaris tech. I copied and pasted the response so that you could see what the factory technician recommends. The first paragraph is my question to them and below that is their response. I hope this helps.

Is there a grease fitting on this machine to grease the driveshaft yoke? Please verify this by his exact model. My tech said he did not see one and is thinking the shaft must be removed to grease it. The customer does not want to pay anymore for us to do this part of the service as he is thinking it should have been part of his 5000 service.He has a picture of a 2015 service manual maintenance schedule where it says "L" instead of "I" in the driveshaft yoke section.
    Added On: 7/17/2018 12:43 PM by blvonveAll slingshot models use the same PN 1333009 driveshaft. The print shows no grease zirk on the U-joint.

The current manual does not indicate any requirement to lube the U-joint nor is there an "L" anywhere in the current periodic maintenance chart

the manual reads as follows:
    Prop Shaft Joint Inspection
    Inspect the prop shaft U-Joint and CV Joint for damage, wear, or leaking grease. If the joint exhibits any of these symptoms, it should be replaced.

Inspection
    1. Using gloves, grasp the prop shaft close to U-joint yoke and check for movement against each of the bearing caps. If any movement is detected the U-Joint should be replaced.
    2. Grasp the prop shaft close to the CV joint and check for movement within the CV bearings and the slip yoke. If any movement is detected the prop shaft assembly should be replaced

I see no mention of greasing the U-joint in the current manual. The early manual may have had an error that was corrected.

I see no need to grease the U-joint if it passes inspection.

I have the needle to attach to a grease gun to do myself. I just need a grease gun and the grease.

• My 2017 also has the jerk... I mean zerk. From reading the above it sounds like they stopped putting the zerk in on the 2017.5.??.

My 16.5 had one and so does my 18....which I have already greased at about 3K miles mainly just to see that the needle fitting on my grease gun worked. I believe that because the Zerk is so small, and the drive shaft has to be turned properly to see it, that it is often overlooked.

18 SLR Lemon/Gray
    Vanderhall Venice (traded for SLR Apr '18)
    '16.6 SLR LE (traded for Vanderhall Oct '17)
    '11 & '14 Can Am RT's
    60 Years of 2 Wheeling

• I guess that I do not understand what you are wanting the dealer to do if the u-joint in your SlingShot does not have a zerk? This has been discussed to death where some have a zerk, and others are apparently sealed and do not, I am suspecting it depends on the supplier your particular joint came from at the time of assembly?

Bill

• pull out your drink cup holders and then roll the slingshot slowly forward or backward so that you can look through the drink holder holes and see for yourself if it has a zerk. when you see it as I suspect you will get your phone and take a picture of the u-joint and zerk and send it to your dealer

here is a picture of mine - the zerk has a green dot of grease on it

as a side note if you do find that yours has the zerk get yourself a grease gun with a Lincoln needle fitting and lube it your self - it can be done from the top right through to drink cup holes and it will save you a ton of money that you wont have to pay the dealer

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I am not expecting the dealer to do anything - they said they called Polaris so I honestly believe they do not think any SS have a zerk or they do not wish they made a mistake. I know for a fact mine does have a zerk because about a year ago I pulled the cup holders and I saw it.

This is just a FYI for others.

• Go grab you a cheap grease gun and some Lucas Red N Tacky grease. Dont forget to grab the needle fitting that fits the hole in the center of the Zerk. About every couple of oil changes just pull the cup holder and give it a squirt or two until you see red grease start to come out of the caps. Then wipe it off with a rag and you will be in good shape.

I hate that some dealers go out of their way to NOT do what you asked them to do. Find you a dealer that knows how to do service work and swap to them. My first question to the service manager would be. When do you recommend to grease the u-joint on a slingshot that comes in for service? Depending on how he answers that question could help you find a good servicing dealer....

• First off check to see if you have a zerk fitting. Easy to do just follow the advice here in the forum. Most have one it seems but there are some that don’t. If yours does take it to that dealership and asked him WTF is that thing in the middle of my drive shaft u joint that looks like a zerk fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

Dochatley
    Dallas, Texas

• Here is what I did to my Grease Gun to stiffen the hose so I can use a one hand operation. Works Great! Good Luck on keeping your U-Joint performing for a long time. I bought a Polaris Grease Gun thinking it would have the correct nozzle. NO! I used materials I had available as I always do try first.