Aligning the hood after screwing it up! :(

• Copied from another thread -
    Since I removed my hood to install extended range hood hinges, I decided to install my Hahn CoolRam Airbox designed for my Hahn turbo. I previously had the Hahn CAI which uses the same box with the opening for the air tube on the driver side instead of the turbo's passenger side. While installing the new airbox, I realized the support brackets had not been made properly because the holes to connect the brackets to the airbox were not drilled properly. I drilled new holes so the airbox would mount lower with the front end of the airbox resting on the bracket behind the center headlights.[s][/s] When I went to test close the hood with the new hinges, I went to gently push down on the same locations I have always used to make sure the latches were securely closed and I was EXTREMELY unhappy when I saw I now have 2 star-shaped cracks in my hood paint from the edges of the airbox pushing up against the hood. Since I had my Slingshot painted yellow a couple years ago, the repair is not going to be easy or cheap and I am very displeased. I will be going out to try and trim some of the upper front corners off the airbox for additional clearance. Hahn supplies some heavy rubber molding that fits over the edges of the airbox and seals against the hood, but I hadn't installed that since I wanted to check clearances. My earlier Hahn CAI used the same rubber molding and it pushed up against the hood making it harder to latch, so I had used some foam molding designed to seal window AC units in place, but I hadn't yet installed the foam molding.

UPDATE - After looking at my installation some more, it looks like I may have screwed up in that I secured the rear of the airbox first. Had I mounted the brackets to the airbox and then tried the install, I probably would have realized that the front edge of the airbox needs to be below and not resting on the edge of the frame behind the center headlights. That would have placed the CoolRam airbox low enough to not contact the hood! Looks like the cracks are indeed my fault for failing to think thru what I was doing and not taking the time to find the instructions I have for my turbo install. Of course, it being my fault just makes my day suck even more! At least I have an excuse to try repainting my Slingshot at some point (although I definitely lack @Painter's skills)!
    I now think the improper location of the airbox was also why my hood didn't seem to closing and latching properly. I had thought the hood had somehow gotten repositioned during the hood hinge install, but now it seems the problem was me having installed the airbox too high and basically causing the hood to get propped up!

After reinstalling my airbox using the holes hahn drilled for the support brackets, I believe I now have the airbox in the correct position.

If you follow @'samowens44'' TD Hood Hinge Install video, everything should work properly once you reattach the hood to the hood brackets. Unfortunately, because I incorrectly positioned the Hahn turbo airbox and didn't realize that its incorrect positioning was the reason my hood wouldn't close properly, I proceeded to loosen the bolts holding the hinge mounts in place. Since the gas cylinder that assists with proper hinge operation was still installed, as soon as I loosened the hinge bolts on the passenger side, the gas cylinder forced the hinge mount forward and really threw off the hood's alignment. I strongly suggest that if anyone who has the MadStad/Twist Dynamics extended-range hood hinges ever needs to adjust the hood hinge mounts, REMOVE the gas cylinder before loosening the hinge mount bolts!

Now that my hood alignment has shifted so much, it will take careful tweaking of the hinge mount positioning to ensure that the rear latch pins are properly oriented above the rear latches. It doesn't take much movement to make a big change in the latch pin locations. One I have the rear latch pins properly positioned, I think all I will then need to do is to adjust the front latch positioning so they are properly positioned under the latch bolts attached to the upper hood hinge bracket.
    I also plan on calling MadStad tomorrow about using 2 gas cylinders instead of the one used in the current design. I think having a gas cylinder on each side should balance the forces of the gas cylinders.
    I plan on posting an update later.

• Major bummer the hood got stars in it. Didn't have that problem with the air box myself but it definitely didn't fit like a glove for us either. Maybe time for some racing stripes or some creativity.

I took off my old Hahn CAI airbox last June getting ready to install my Hahn turbo kit and tried to rely on my memory when I went to install the turbo version. If I had simply read the instructions, I would have avoided both the damage to the hood AND the need to realign the hood and the front latches. (I need a head-banging against a brick wall emoji here)

• I took off my old Hahn CAI airbox last June getting ready to install my Hahn turbo kit and tried to rely on my memory when I went to install the turbo version. If I had simply read the instructions, I would have avoided both the damage to the hood AND the need to realign the hood and the front latches. (I need a head-banging against a brick wall emoji here)

We have all done something similar. Had a stupid mistake a few weeks ago that I really wanted to kick myself for.

• Major bummer the hood got stars in it. Didn't have that problem with the air box myself but it definitely didn't fit like a glove for us either. Maybe time for some racing stripes or some creativity.

After a little research, I think I may have found a couple of decals that should cover up the stars. I just need to check size and placement to make sure everything looks good. Of course, I still need to get the hood properly aligned first!

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• After a little research, I think I may have found a couple of decals that should cover up the stars. I just need to check size and placement to make sure everything looks good. Of course, I still need to get the hood properly aligned first!

Nice, glad to hear that and hope it ends up looking better than before. Definitely get that alignment dialed in!

• My Daughter's schedule finally aligned with mine and we reinstalled the hood after I removed the MadStad extended hood hinges and reinstalled the stock hinges and we got the hood to properly close with just a few adjustments.
    Now I just need to get my nerve back to try reinstalling the MadStad extended hood hinges and hopefully, things will go more smoothly.

• @BKL
    Tell me got some ride time in since July...

If not, might I suggest you do some ride time to re-align your own stars and get right with nature...

We get enough down days for too many reasons...
    Use those for days in the garage.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• @BKL
    Tell me got some ride time in since July...

If not, might I suggest you do some ride time to re-align your own stars and get right with nature...

We get enough down days for too many reasons...
    Use those for days in the garage.

After having screwed up and unnecessarily complicated my hood alignment, I was not in a real hurry to get things fixed. I have gotten way too soft and used to AC and try to avoid doing much outside when it's hot,especially when the temps & humidity are both in the 80s-90s.
    I got in a few day rides without my hood and took my time reinstalling the factory hood hinges. When my Daughter and I actually put the hood back on, I was pleasantly surprised at how little hassle we really had getting everything to lineup and actually close and latch properly. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how smoothly things went this afternoon.
    And I did enjoy my almost 100 mile ride this evening.

• @BKL I have a Video on Installing the Twist Dynamics Cold Air Intake. I am posting it here as at the very end of video around 14 min 40 Sec I place my GoPro under the hood for a view of how the air box fits when closing the hood. You can see it is a tight fit with the hood and no room for incorrect mounting. Just want to show something you can not normally see. Hope your post and troubles will help others avoid this damaging mistake. Glad things are getting back to normal for you.

• After having screwed up and unnecessarily complicated my hood alignment, I was not in a real hurry to get things fixed. I have gotten way too soft and used to AC and try to avoid doing much outside when it's hot,especially when the temps & humidity are both in the 80s-90s.I got in a few day rides without my hood and took my time reinstalling the factory hood hinges. When my Daughter and I actually put the hood back on, I was pleasantly surprised at how little hassle we really had getting everything to lineup and actually close and latch properly. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how smoothly things went this afternoon.
    And I did enjoy my almost 100 mile ride this evening.

I have two major DIY Mod sitting on a table just waiting for the temp to drop 10 degrees so i can continue.....feel you!

• @BKL I have a Video on Installing the Twist Dynamics Cold Air Intake. I am posting it here as at the very end of video around 14 min 40 Sec I place my GoPro under the hood for a view of how the air box fits when closing the hood. You can see it is a tight fit with the hood and no room for incorrect mounting. Just want to show something you can not normally see. Hope your post and troubles will help others avoid this damaging mistake. Glad things are getting back to normal for you.

@samowens44, my BIG mistake was relying on my memory of my Hahn CAI install from 2 years earlier and I ended up mounting the airbox so it was too high. When I went to push down to check that my hood was securely latched, I ended up pushing the hood against the top of the too-high airbox. Not realizing my problerm was the too-high airbox, I thought the problem was the newly installed TD/MadSatd extended hod hinges and when I went to adjust that, the gas cartridge pushed the hinge way out of adjustment. Once I reinstalled the original hood hinges, I was able to adjust the hood pretty quickly since there was no gas cartridge trying to push things. Too bad my comedy of errors was such a PITA to fix. :D