Questions for first time buyer

• Hi,

I am looking at buying a SL and wondering from a safety standpoint would upgrading to the 305 back tire be a good idea? Also, I saw the Bilstein shocks are good add? Looking for advice. I also live in Colorado and plan to drive it back and forth to work on a busy interstate. I can say I have never seen one on the interstate. Is this a good plan? Thanks in advance

• Welcome aboard @Chad, if you prefer the color of the SL than it is a great plan. If you like the look of a lower trim better, you can always add wider rims and tires and shocks for the same price or less than Polaris charges to upgrade. Driving on the interstate is totally safe as you can get around most people with ease from an acceleration standpoint. You may want to upgrade the wind screen of you are doing a lot of interstate driving.

• The height is really a personal preference. Ask yourself, Do I want to look over or through? How tall is my torso? I have a Madstad 9 inch single. I had an F4 +3. I only switch because I realized I rather look over the windscreen. The F4 kinda requires baker air wings to meet the same comfort as the Madstad.

I'm 5'11" average build(not long legged or long torso).

• Welcome aboard @Chad, if you prefer the color of the SL than it is a great plan. If you like the look of a lower trim better, you can always add wider rims and tires and shocks for the same price or less than Polaris charges to upgrade. Driving on the interstate is totally safe as you can get around most people with ease from an acceleration standpoint. You may want to upgrade the wind screen of you are doing a lot of interstate driving.

I listened to a lot of talk about what you just said and I was glad I went with a 2017 SLR. I'm not experiencing many of the problems a lot of 15 and 16 owners have had and no need to do a bunch of upgrading. Nice that I went used for 20,500.00 and don't have to put up with fixing factory defects the factory wouldn't fix. Glad I spent a little more, it was worth it for me.

• You bring up a good point @War Hoop, though not sure why you had to quote me. The used market has a lot of steals out there that are very much worth looking at, as many have very low miles. And if somebody wanted something more unique with some great additions at a fraction of buying all those things new, used is great. Even if you just want a bone stock, Base, SL or SLR used can be a great money saver.

My first Sling was an SL, I changed everything that made it an SL(windscreen, wheels, tires, color and was searching for a radio). After totalling it in a blizzard, I went with a base model and made it unique to me.

I'm glad I spent a little less.

• Hi,

I am looking at buying a SL and wondering from a safety standpoint would upgrading to the 305 back tire be a good idea? Also, I saw the Bilstein shocks are good add? Looking for advice. I also live in Colorado and plan to drive it back and forth to work on a busy interstate. I can say I have never seen one on the interstate. Is this a good plan? Thanks in advance

welcome aboard

If you haven't gone to your local dealer to test drive one ..... do it - take out a base and the a SLR. Take it through town and then hit the highway. Even though you'll be ready to buy before you get back to the dealer, consider a used one as the prices seem to be favorable right now.

As for safety, respect it like a motorcycle - it's not a car and does not have air bags and crumple zones.

By this time you've bought one. Drive it and enjoy it like you stole it. You'll figure out pretty quick what kind of modifications you'll want - higher/lower windshield, seats, smoother ride, more power, etc. - fear not as you figure out how to make it YOUR Slingshot we will be here to help answer your questions and help spend your money

• In a few more weeks they will
    Be giving the old 2018 stock away

Maybe. I can tell you that over the past two weeks many dealers are NOT dealing on the 2018 base model. The best price I was quoted for the 2018 base model was $19,780 +tax, tags etc. I'm picking up a used 2017 with 275 miles on for $16,500 private sale, too good to pass up!

• Be prepared to drive or fly a distance and figure the cost of that into your price. There are deals out there. Make sure when dealing with a dealership you specify you want an "out the door" price and have them email it to you.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Thank you for all the feedback. I’ve found dealers aren’t willing to come off the MSRP very far. Where is a good outlet to look for used Slingshots? Thanks

Found mine on cycletrader. I only got the deal because the seller was extremely motivated to sell. Everything I've seen from 2015-2017 are still holding there value. I just got lucky.

• Chad where are you located at? If you're in the Southern region I can send you to a dealer who's always willing to go for volume/sales! I was able to get my SS SL for at the time for a ridiculous price new!

• @Chad as mentioned, cycle trader, auto trader and the like. You could Google "used polaris slingshot for sale" and get some good results. Here are a few.

2015-polaris-slingshot-for-sale

Polaris Slingshot For Sale - Carsforsale.com®

I also noticed some on slingshotforums.com in the "for sale" section.

Ball Equipment is in Michigan, they offer great prices. A couple forum members have come from out of state to purchase from them. @cball86 and @FixMyToysZach are the guys to talk to there. They may even chime in with an offer. You could also PM them to discuss pricing.

• If looking for a new Slingshot, use the Polaris website and email contact dealers within whatever driving distance you want and tell them what model you're interested in and ask for an all-inclusive out-the-door price that includes tax, tags, prep , etc. The 2019 models will be announced at the end of the month, give or take a few days, so deals should start showing up.
    If you want a used Slingshot, try SearchTempest to search Craigslist for a used Slingshot within whatever distance from your Zip Code you specify. If it's farther than you want to drive or go just for an initial look, ask if someone on the forum can do an initial look to give you an idea if you want to invest the time and travel to check it out in more detail. If you need to travel, you may even find fellow Slingshot owner who'll pick you up at the airport, train or bus station and take you to the seller.

• Thanks for the mention @WOLF

@Chad we have a few 2017 models in stock and can sure work out a good deal for you if you are interested. You can view our inventory here:

All Current Inventory

• Thank you. I found a 2016 SL with low miles. Any significant changes between the 2016 vs 2018? Thanks in advance