Forced induction Questions and Such for the Slingshot

• I do not have a tune update price from Bob yet and the tune update will definitely work with any of our SC kits, no matter when they were installed.

Dave does this tune also target that super rich stutter/bog that occasionally happen when shifting gears on hard pulls?

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• Of the turbo kits that have sold, I wonder how many were running 9lbs vs the 6lbs that some kits ship out with. I can imagine that the more you boost the more likely, over time, the heat issue would get worse.

I’ve been running the 9lbs for over a year now , since last years SSITHC, and (knock on wood) have not had a problem. I did have dr Dave install the arp headbolts and one of his magic clips on on my alpha setup and all has been well... so far. And for the record, I don’t baby this engine. Quite the opposite, I run the piss out of it. For a while there I was actually trying to blow the engine so I could find an excuse to have Dave build one for me. I even spoke to Dave about pricing etc... still running strong...very strong. I’ll even go as far as saying that it’s running stronger now than it ever has. Oh, one more thing, since swapping out the side exhaust for the stealth (which I did not particularly like the look of by the way) I’ve gained gas mileage and a bit more torque on the low end. So, I still say a PROPERLY installed/configured turbo unit is just as safe as a supercharger. Just to give you an idea of how hard this engine has been run, take a look at a map just south of Deming, NM is highway 9. I filled up in Columbus NM, and ran that whole stretch of highway from Columbus to El Paso with the cruise set at 125 indicated (in 5th gear), 105 deg outside air temp. She ran like a champ. Used up the ENTIRE tank of gas in 80 miles 8o . This was over a year ago...so yeah, turbos are pretty reliable. :thumbup:

• Yeap, we did a lot with the tune for the supercharger. The new tune we worked on for awhile to make the power more linear for both the turbo and supercharger kit. Also, worked on and hopefully fixed some of the throttle hanging issues that people were seeing with naturally aspirated and forced induction setups and finally did testing on the cams
    for the supercharger and finished a tune for that also. We tested a lot of things while Bob was here, long days but the new tunes are REALLY smooth.

I heard a certain someone's ~> VERY INTERESTED!! :thumbsup:

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• I’ve been running the 9lbs for over a year now , since last years SSITHC, and (knock on wood) have not had a problem. I did have dr Dave install the arp headbolts and one of his magic clips on on my alpha setup and all has been well... so far. And for the record, I don’t baby this engine. Quite the opposite, I run the piss out of it. For a while there I was actually trying to blow the engine so I could find an excuse to have Dave build one for me. I even spoke to Dave about pricing etc... still running strong...very strong. I’ll even go as far as saying that it’s running stronger now than it ever has. Oh, one more thing, since swapping out the side exhaust for the stealth (which I did not particularly like the look of by the way) I’ve gained gas mileage and a bit more torque on the low end. So, I still say a PROPERLY installed/configured turbo unit is just as safe as a supercharger. Just to give you an idea of how hard this engine has been run, take a look at a map just south of Deming, NM is highway 9. I filled up in Columbus NM, and ran that whole stretch of highway from Columbus to El Paso with the cruise set at 125 indicated (in 5th gear), 105 deg outside air temp. She ran like a champ. Used up the ENTIRE tank of gas in 80 miles 8o . This was over a year ago...so yeah, turbos are pretty reliable. :thumbup:

I'm definitely not doubting that. I am running the Hahn kit at 6 lbs...had a surprising run (65mph-120mph) against someone that had a 9lb setup with port fueler set up on his Hahn kit... and I was able to pull away from him. I am seeing some odd rumors that the new kit from Hahn with portfueler and AEM piggy back is only dynoing around 270-280 HP. Not sure how true that is...but I don't think I should have been able to pull away from the other sling especially with the extra weight of a passenger in my slingshot.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• I'm definitely not doubting that. I am running the Hahn kit at 6 lbs...had a surprising run (65mph-120mph) against someone that had a 9lb setup with port fueler set up on his Hahn kit... and I was able to pull away from him. I am seeing some odd rumors that the new kit from Hahn with portfueler and AEM piggy back is only dynoing around 270-280 HP. Not sure how true that is...but I don't think I should have been able to pull away from the other sling especially with the extra weight of a passenger in my slingshot.

Oh, Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest you were doubting anything, I was just responding to the 6 vs 9# springs and the proverbial Turbo vs SC reliability. I will say this, Turbos are really susceptible to changes in airflow (in or out). I know diddly squat about the Hahn setup, but for example, as in my case, something as simple as swapping out the exhaust from Alpha Side exhaust to the Welter Stealth made a considerable difference in how the turbo spools up therefore I have a completely different feeling powerband that I had to get used to again.

• @Casey_SS You need to find a company that specializes in fuel injectors. I think Dave is still recommending the place I use by my house called AUS Injection.

http://www.ausinjection.com/

It is around $80 to send them off and have them tested. Honestly, it is much better to send out yours and a buddies and have 8 tested at the same time. Then, determine if you want them cleaned and match two pairs of 4 to the closest flow rates.

Another company that gets good reviews is Fuel Injector Clinic. Good reading at their website below...
    http://fuelinjectorclinic.com/flow-testing

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

Edited once, last by TravAZ ().

• Thanks " TravAZ for the info, maybe this winter we can get a few people from the "Group :00000014: " to combine our injectors and get them flow matched. Maybe send in 3 or 4 sets at once. Probably a better change of getting more close together.

I wonder how expensive it is to just by 4 flow matched injectors? I'll have to look into that.

John
    2017 SL LE Midnight Cherry
    :COILOVERSS::TURBOSS::MOTOROILSS::FILTERSS::COLDAIRSS::DONKEYSS:

• Thanks " TravAZ for the info, maybe this winter we can get a few people from the "Group :00000014: " to combine our injectors and get them flow matched. Maybe send in 3 or 4 sets at once. Probably a better change of getting more close together.
    I wonder how expensive it is to just by 4 flow matched injectors? I'll have to look into that.

What is the part number of the injectors? Are they just stock Slingshot injectors? If so, there are a ton of people like myself that would probably would sell them for cheap.

Around $250 for 4 injectors is the price point for the bigger 60lb ones used in the boosted stock ECM tuned configuration.

Why don't you just do yourself a favor and rip out the portfueler stuff and run the stock intake, 60lb injectors, and a Bob tune. We all know that is what is going to happen at some point anyways.

• What is the part number of the injectors? Are they just stock Slingshot injectors? If so, there are a ton of people like myself that would probably would sell them for cheap.
    Around $250 for 4 injectors is the price point for the bigger 60lb ones used in the boosted stock ECM tuned configuration.

Why don't you just do yourself a favor and rip out the portfueler stuff and run the stock intake, 60lb injectors, and a Bob tune. We all know that is what is going to happen at some point anyways.

I spoke to Bob and Dave at Maggie Valley and the thought was to use the Portfueler intake from Hahn and just swap the primary to secondary to cap off the injector holes and run the injectors supplied by Hahn in the stock position.

Bill tells me they are 60# flow match injectors he provided to me. I've questioned him numerous times and he keeps telling me they are flow matched.

Now maybe the you or the forum can educate me. Are all flow matched injectors sold with a data sheet showing their flow? If so I nor anybody I know got a data sheet from Hahn with that information.

Thanks

John

• Just ask him or someone close to his camp where he purchases his injectors from. Shoot the supplier a call and check. Not all "flow matched" injectors come with data sheets. Often they just flow a bunch of them and package sets of 4 close together and call it a day. "Flow matched" is a very broad description. You really want to get the % of variation at idle, 50% throttle, and 100% throttle.

I doubt your injectors are that far off. It is pretty rare so see them much over a 5% difference at 50% and 100% throttle. You are probably just seeing odd air intake volumes with the portfueler intake manifold.

The real question is, why the F would he put 60lb injectors in for secondaries? That seems really over kill and not correct. Over 400 whp Slingshots don't get close to running out a fuel with running only 60lb injectors. You have a 40lb and 60lb running together it would appear. This would mean the 60lb pulse rates would be pretty low and lower pulse rates usually show more of difference from one to another.

Lots of odd stuff going on here...

• @Dave@DDMWorks is there a way I can pull my injectors I got from Hahn to test them to make sure they are flow matched?

Sorry, I have been out of the office for the last 5 days without great internet connection. It looks like @TravAZ got you the answer though as to the place we have been sending all injectors we have tested. We have used Ausinjection for a lot of sets now, since that way it has been consistently the same company flow matching them and they also give a report and we have some consistency between sets that way.

I would be very interested still in that intake manifold and if it is causing any flow differences between cylinders though and also agree with @TravAZ that it is really weird that Hahn is running the main injectors and 60# injectors as the secondaries.

If there is anything else we can answer or help you with, just let ne know,
    Dave

• Bill has no camp as far as I know, what staff he did have are gone. Nobody when he did have staff ever answered the phone. Well that's not entirely true. His wife answered the phone once. She gave me her cell so when something that needed prompt attention, I would call her. Instead of Bill, when he would not answer my calls.

I'll check the part numbers on the injectors, but I believe while I was at Maggie Valley with @SaltyClownNY, @Dave@DDMWorks looked @SaltyClownNY injectors and they were #60 if I remember correctly.

John

• Bill has no camp as far as I know, what staff he did have are gone. Nobody when he did have staff ever answered the phone. Well that's not entirely true. His wife answered the phone once. She gave me her cell so when something that needed prompt attention, I would call her. Instead of Bill, when he would not answer my calls.
    I'll check the part numbers on the injectors, but I believe while I was at Maggie Valley with @SaltyClownNY, @Dave@DDMWorks looked @SaltyClownNY injectors and they were #60 if I remember correctly.

If I remember right, they were the same part number as the #60 injectors we use on our supercharger/turbo kits.

Here is a picture of the 60# injectors we use -

Hope that helps,
    Dave

• Hey, question I've been thinking about... need some help with some info from folks like @Slingrazor and @ericastar76 who I believe are running stock engine and superchargers. Whats the high end of "safe" limits on the stock engine for boost pressure? I know some are running the 95 pulley and getting around 340HP, but what is the boost level for that? By my calculations, it's about 15 - 16PSI on a stock engine, no? Who else is running the supercharger with 95 pulley?

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• @SaltyClownNY I am running a 95 mm pulley. I do not run a boost gauge but I don't think we are making much more than 10psi boost on stock internals. I believe @Slingrazor stated 10 to 10.5 in one of his posts.

Thanks Rob! Now are running a stock block?

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• @SaltyClownNY I am running a 95 mm pulley. I do not run a boost gauge but I don't think we are making much more than 10psi boost on stock internals. I believe @Slingrazor stated 10 to 10.5 in one of his posts.

Thanks Rob! Now are running a stock block?

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• Is there any word on the cost of a new tune from bob for an old supercharger? Also what is the cost on a map clip? Generally mine runs quite well but cold starts take a bit of feathering the throttle.