Slingshot Has a Grease Fitting on U-Joint

• To our New Owners that want to make sure all the maintenance is done for their beautiful New Slingshot, here is an item that may get missed. At the back of the Drive Shaft located on the U-Joint is a Grease Zerk. It would be good to squirt a few squeezes of grease into this fitting at the 6000 mile maintenance period and all other scheduled Oil Change periods. This video will demonstrate the special tools and how to best gain access to the location. A U-joint that does not receive proper lube will possibly fail at 50,000 miles and beyond. First indications of a worn U-Joint is vibrations at between 50 and 60 MPH, getting stronger as it wears. Good Luck on taking care of your U-Joint.

• If I may add. If you have your dealer service your SS make sure they know about this. I am working with a dealer near me now who the tech says there is not a grease fitting. His service manual shows I for Inspect for this part but mine, which is 2015 version of the manual shows an L for lube. I am thinking the dealers manual is 2018 version which most if not all 2018 do NOT have a zerk fitting.

My last email to the dealer I asked just let me bring the SS in, if there is a zerk please have the tech grease it. If not zerk, than guess I was wrong. I do not think I am wrong...mine is a 2016 model. It has 5300 miles on it.

Sam, since I doubt I will ever meet you face to face, let me say thanks for all you are doing for the SS community. I sorta wish we where neighbors.

• My '18 does have a zerk. I believe most do; its quite small and not easy to see without a good light, or being outside in good daylight. I greased mine with a needle at 3K miles just to see that it works.

18 SLR Lemon/Gray
    Vanderhall Venice (traded for SLR Apr '18)
    '16.6 SLR LE (traded for Vanderhall Oct '17)
    '11 & '14 Can Am RT's
    60 Years of 2 Wheeling

• If I may add. If you have your dealer service your SS make sure they know about this. I am working with a dealer near me now who the tech says there is not a grease fitting. His service manual shows I for Inspect for this part but mine, which is 2015 version of the manual shows an L for lube. I am thinking the dealers manual is 2018 version which most if not all 2018 do NOT have a zerk fitting.

My last email to the dealer I asked just let me bring the SS in, if there is a zerk please have the tech grease it. If not zerk, than guess I was wrong. I do not think I am wrong...mine is a 2016 model. It has 5300 miles on it.

Sam, since I doubt I will ever meet you face to face, let me say thanks for all you are doing for the SS community. I sorta wish we where neighbors.

Thanks for that nice comment. Hope I get to meet you and many of our Slingshot Family. I am in a great area for Slingshot Rides, hope you find time in the Northeast Georgia Mountain and let's Carve some great mountain roads with our Slings.

• I want to give additional information based on a comment post from @FunCycle. His comment was that he used a pipe nipple of small diameter in his grease gun to help with a one handed operation. Well I did not have the nipple, so I looked around my garage and found a stiff wire of about 3/8th in. I had some small hose clamps along with some Zip Ties. Folks, I always try to use something I already have available and will produce the results I want. Your job is to look at my approach and find ways of improving the device. If you have the Nipple, that is great to use. Let your mind loose and see how it works.