Hahn Turbo – Installation, support and general comments

• I have an exhaust fumes problems with my side exit Hahn Exhaust.

Fumes were ok when i had the stock fenders but of course i have the much improved stickerdick fenders now and well the misses and myself do get the exhaust way more.

So what to I do?

1. Revert back to the old fenders?

2. Modify the pipes to point down instead of straight out the side?

3. Do a welter exhaust side exit, and some other header i think?

4. I think one or two people on this purchase did use a different exhaust than what Hahn provided and have the stickerdick fenders as well. I would be interested in hearing from them on. SaltyClownNY ? or Casey_SS ?

I also think that Funinthesun mentioned that the Welter side exhaust may not work if you have the Optima (Yellow) battery which i also have so just looking for suggestions with this in mind.

Thanks all in advance! (I want to get anything ordered asap as my sun lasts for a limited time up north! Plus a happy wife means a happy life and right now the ss toy is not useful to her! (Well kinda good for me but well perhaps not long term)

• There is nothing wrong with using the Optima battery with the Welter exhaust. the Group 25 is 1 inch shorter in length than the Group 34. The problem is if you use either one of these batteries make sure that the battery is pulled all the way (as far as it will go) to the outside until it is almost against the cover and make sure it is tight so that it will not move around and slide to the center and touch the exhaust pipe. The exhaust "WILL" melt a hole in the bottom of the battery if it is touching the exhaust pipe. It did cost me a 1 year old battery because this was not done. I also now have a stop/heat shield attached to the inter rail now also.

• Couple things I would try...

I too have a Welter exhaust. Duel rear and I also have a yellow top battery. No issues, but FunCycle - all good points.

I was down in Maggie last year when Welter introduced the "fix" for fumes. VERY expensive for some plastic pieces that taped onto the bottom of the sling. Not sure if anyone can speak to their success or not, but I heard a few people were loosing them as they fell off down the road. All it was were 3 pieces of 45deg. angle plastic pieces that moved the air downward as you drove. I didn't experience any issues, so never purchased them... until NOW. I put a top on the sling and now getting the smell. I actually don't mind it, but may have eaten too many paint chips when I was a kid too.

My fix will be to try a piece of rubber door molding. They sell it at Home Depot where it's metal stip with a piece of rubber mounted at a 45deg. angle on it. Get a 5 foot strip and mount it along the bottom of the sling to do the same thing, but at least if the rubber hits something, it will give a bit and I'm sure the faster I go the more it will flatten out which I won't be smelling it anyway with more airflow.

Now in your case, your's is coming out the side. I wonder if a piece of the same molding up front mounted in just the right spot would solve the issue? May be worth a try. It's something similar to this, but I know I've seen them at a 45 deg. angle....

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fr…oor-Sweep-A79SN/301161844

The entire principle was to disrupt the airflow a bit under the sling. I'm traveling home this weekend and will be fitting my sling with one. If I can't find the 45deg. one, I'll have to make one. I have a siding break at the house and can make something I'm sure.

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• Home Depot has the Everbilt Sheet Metal Aluminum 6 in. x .025 in. x 18 in. long If I remember it takes two pieces 11 inches long and one 14 inches long. I bought the metal and never made the pieces. I have one of the plastic pieces I picked up in the street in front of the Comfort Inn somewhere. Cut the metal 2 inches wide and bend at 45 degrees long ways. You could use hose screw clamps around the frame to hold on after taking a 1/2 or 3/4 flat chiseil to cut a two holes to run the clamp thru on each end.

• Thanks FunCycle for the specifics on using the Welter exhaust with the Optima battery. I will keep this in mind if i purchase this exhaust.

SaltyClownNY thanks for the information about your config and your current situation with your top and exhaust. I will look into placing the metal strip somehow on the side to disrupt the air flow. I suspect if i can figure out something it will work but might look weird on that side of the ss.

• Maybe all of you gas naturally smells. I had the alpha side exhaust and don’t get any smell unless stopped at a light sometime. But after the alpha blew apart I replaced with the 1320 exhaust and went to my muffler shop and he made the tail pipe bend an come out of the old alpha hole. No problems, no smell , not real loud , and works great. Just my .02$and haven’t bottomed out on speed bumps at all.

Keep Three Wheels Down

• Maybe all of you gas naturally smells. I had the alpha side exhaust and don’t get any smell unless stopped at a light sometime. But after the alpha blew apart I replaced with the 1320 exhaust and went to my muffler shop and he made the tail pipe bend an come out of the old alpha hole. No problems, no smell , not real loud , and works great. Just my .02$and haven’t bottomed out on speed bumps at all.

The gas smells generally start showing up with a Top AND a tall windshield. That may be a reason you haven't experienced any problems with exhaust fumes. I have a MadStad 13" Single Adjustable windshield and it allows airflow under the shield into the cockpit and I haven't noticed any exhaust smells unless I'm sitting stopped at a light.

• The gas smells generally start showing up with a Top AND a tall windshield. That may be a reason you haven't experienced any problems with exhaust fumes. I have a MadStad 13" Single Adjustable windshield and it allows airflow under the shield into the cockpit and I haven't noticed any exhaust smells unless I'm sitting stopped at a light.

This is my ride

so what now

Keep Three Wheels Down

• This is my ride

so what now

Looking at your avatar pic, I thought your windshield was low enough to not create vacuum behind the windshield, a common occurrence with tall windshields. If you have no exhaust smell, consider yourself fortunate. Even though I only notice exhaust fumes when sitting at a light, that is too much for my Wife and she will not ride with me.

• Looking at your avatar pic, I thought your windshield was low enough to not create vacuum behind the windshield, a common occurrence with tall windshields. If you have no exhaust smell, consider yourself fortunate. Even though I only notice exhaust fumes when sitting at a light, that is too much for my Wife and she will not ride with me.

I have the UP Top and my stock wind screen has been cut down to a little less than 1/4 inch above the wind screen center bracket on my 2015. I also have the Welter Dual's, I have also been cat delete almost since day one with never a problem with fumes. Working on 79,000 miles now, it will probably be above 80,000 before Maggie Valley. I also made some changes a few months back and no longer have a dead air space in the cockpit and I have one more thing to add since I have the front fenders to get even more air flow in the cockpit.

• I get exhaust in the thing now, but only after installing a top. I too have the MadStad 13", but also have the Welter duel rear exit exhaust. I'm still getting gas fumes from the engine bay, but that's a different issue. I know the Hahn turbo runs very rich too. Was the top that did it with the exhaust. Will have to mess with it in the next few weeks.

Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• My angle drive has failed so need to get this into the shop now to get that fixed first. I'm out of warranty so its not going to be a cheap fix.

Have you spoken to your dealer about the angle drive? IIRC, somebody else had their angle drive replaced for $300 when it was out of warranty, but I don't think he had a turbo to give Polaris an excuse to refuse to cover the work.

• I get exhaust in the thing now, but only after installing a top. I too have the MadStad 13", but also have the Welter duel rear exit exhaust. I'm still getting gas fumes from the engine bay, but that's a different issue. I know the Hahn turbo runs very rich too. Was the top that did it with the exhaust. Will have to mess with it in the next few weeks.

I have a MadStad 13" Single Adjustable Windshield, a TD Top and a Hahn Stage 2 turbo setup with Hahn's Street Race exhaust. The only time I notice any exhaust fumes is if I'm stopped at a light and the wind is blowing the exhaust up the side of the body and into the cockpit. IIRC, the rear wind deflectors are reported to help stop exhaust fumes being drawn over the rear deck and into the cockpit. Increasing air flow under the MadStad windshield should also help reduce any exhaust recirculating into the cockpit. I also seem to remember reading the Underground Auto Styling rear wing that attaches to the top of the rear deck is also reported to help stop the exhaust fumes being sucked back into the cockpit.

• Awesome ride yesterday, but had a good amount of sputter from the engine over 5000 feet. I had thought that having the secondary ECU was to prevent that as it had it's own system. We were on it fairly hard, but noticed the AFR numbers started to dip a bit. Was in the 11-12 with RPMs up over 4000. Engine temp was a bit high as well at 215. First time I've gotten a sputter or it backfiring. Not sure if others have had similar issues.

• The only sputtering I've experienced with my Hahn Stage 2 turbo system was some occasional sputtering under hard acceleration starting at 4000 rpms. It also seemed to occur when the gas tank was about half-full or less, so I feared a fuel pump problem. After running 2-3 cans of Sea foam over 4-6 fill-ups, the sputtering cleared up, so I guess the gas filter was a little clogged and the Sea Foam cleared it out.

Compared to AFR numbers I've seen others post, my AFR readings have always seemed a little high, with idle AFRs around 15-16 and going as high as 20-22 when I take my foot off the gas, but dropping down to 11-13 under hard acceleration.

Good Luck in sorting things out.

• The only sputtering I've experienced with my Hahn Stage 2 turbo system was some occasional sputtering under hard acceleration starting at 4000 rpms. It also seemed to occur when the gas tank was about half-full or less, so I feared a fuel pump problem. After running 2-3 cans of Sea foam over 4-6 fill-ups, the sputtering cleared up, so I guess the gas filter was a little clogged and the Sea Foam cleared it out.

Compared to AFR numbers I've seen others post, my AFR readings have always seemed a little high, with idle AFRs around 15-16 and going as high as 20-22 when I take my foot off the gas, but dropping down to 11-13 under hard acceleration.

Good Luck in sorting things out.

Those number seem good, stoichiometric ratio for gasoline is 14.7:1 so in close loop you should be bouncing around 14 to 15 or so. Foot off throttle with high vacuum is normal numbers. as well.

11-13 under acceleration is also good. Getting down to 10 would be very rich, above 13 would be getting to lean under WOT, lean blows motors.

Lean is mean, but rich is a bitch.

John
    2017 SL LE Midnight Cherry
    :COILOVERSS::TURBOSS::MOTOROILSS::FILTERSS::COLDAIRSS::DONKEYSS:

• Well i was able to get my angle drive repaired and bought a new exhaust from Bill to vent my exhaust under the car now instead of out the side. Also installed the baffle kit to kill a bit of the noise.... So no exhaust smell in the passenger seat now and the wife can ride again with me! (My side exhaust and new fenders i put on recently was allowing a bit of exhaust into passenger area so i replaced the exhaust )