The Important 500 Mile Oil Change for New Owners

• Getting into your new Slingshot is the most exciting part of the equation for the thoughts of purchasing the Polaris Slingshot. You should start reading the Owners Manual right away for all the important safety tips, operation, controls and Maintenance. At 100 miles rides a day it will not take you long to reach a critical part of Slingshot Ownership, the 500 mile first oil change. The owners manual will cover this period of time leading up to 500 mile point. You should take it easy, do not do quick starts or quick changes in speed. The reason for all of this is a controlled wear of the moving parts in the engine. Excessive forces will create uneven and excessive wear points. Once the 500 mile point is reached, the oil and filter in the engine must be changed. At this point, your engine is ready to perform at peak performance. You can let it go and have fun. Always keep in mine that a three wheel vehicle does not perform like a 4 wheel vehicle, so be careful with speed in curves, watch road conditions for sand, gravel, obstacles in the road, and drive at your skill level.

Here are a couple of video with detailed view of the products that can be used and the procedure to change your engine oil and filter. It is not hard to do as you will see. Think safety from beginning to end of project. The old oil can be taken to any Auto Parts Store and discarded for free. Doing this yourself will save money and time. An Hour should be set aside for the project. Once this has been completed, you have 6000 miles of fun time driving and adventure ahead of you. Always look at the maintenance schedule and requirements in the Owner Manuals. Good Luck!

• I would advise to bring to dealer for oil change. They do more than just change oil. During my visit the software was updated.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

Agreed. I always like to play it safe on oil changes and let the dealer take care of it. For the little extra money, you get a backed warranty, and a general inspection of the entire vehicle.

• I have recommended doing the maintenance checks that are in the Owners Manual. Owners can always contact the dealer and check for any software updates and schedule the work. Most folks can perform the basic Maintenance that is on the schedule and not void the warranty. If a person has a question, most dealers will help a owner with questions of maintenance. If a person does not feel confident or wants someone else to perform the maintenance, then they should take it to the dealer.
    One other important reason for all owners to be familiar with the Maintenance of their Slingshot is that Polaris has a required step called a Pre Ride Inspection to be performed before each ride. There is a warning about the failure to do so. Lets say you do not check the oil level and the engine is damaged from lack of proper oil. Same goes with the coolant. It is the owners responsibility to preform this pre ride inspection or take it to the dealer and have them do it.

New Owners, I will help you take care of your Slingshot. Non of this is beyond the average person to do themselves. The Owners Manual is well written and clear to understand. In the maintenance schedule there are preference pages for each maintenance item for information on how to perform the required maintenance. If it is required to be performed by the dealer, it will state so. Here are the sections discussed below.

Now perform the Pre Ride Inspections!

• Is the drive shaft yoke the zork fitting on the u joint? I have having a friendly discussion with my dealer. At first they said it did not have one, I mentioned I believe the 2015 - 2016 do. The maintenance chart in their book shows Inspect for drive shaft yoke, but I am guessing their book is 2018 or 2017.

I agree with Sam, who has many great videos, one advantage of doing some maintenance your own or at least understand to some degree what needs to be done is it can only help some day.

• Is the drive shaft yoke the zork fitting on the u joint? I have having a friendly discussion with my dealer. At first they said it did not have one, I mentioned I believe the 2015 - 2016 do. The maintenance chart in their book shows Inspect for drive shaft yoke, but I am guessing their book is 2018 or 2017.

I agree with Sam, who has many great videos, one advantage of doing some maintenance your own or at least understand to some degree what needs to be done is it can only help some day.

Thanks for bringing that subject up. I do have a video on greasing the Zerk on the U-Joint. I will post it soon on a thread of it's own soon, for now, I will post here for you. Now you should not need to do this until the 6000 mile service.

• I did my 65,000 mile oil change yesterday. Does that count? I already have another 500 miles on it today.

New Owners, @FunCycle is a true rider, I have a range of 300 miles in a day, any more and I trailer. I hope he changed his Angle Drive Fluid that was scheduled for the 50,000 mile scheduled maintenance. It will be a while before I will have a video on how to do that. I know he has done it, as he posted about a fluid pump to use for inserting the oil in the Drive.

• New Owners, @FunCycle is a true rider, I have a range of 300 miles in a day, any more and I trailer. I hope he changed his Angle Drive Fluid that was scheduled for the 50,000 mile scheduled maintenance. It will be a while before I will have a video on how to do that. I know he has done it, as he posted about a fluid pump to use for inserting the oil in the Drive.

I will probably put another 1,200 miles on this weekend (4 days) headed back up to the Smokies again. We did 1,240 miles 2 weeks ago. Also at the end of July supposed to be a small group going back up, have not determined the area yet.