Rack and Pinion bad again

• Like I said it sucks when we find out our ride may have issues but it’s awesome that there are so many out there that are on top of it and share their knowledge. Thank you so much!

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• just went out and checked mine, on the right passender rod I could move it maybe a 1/16th to 1/8th inch and the left driver side rod was tight , what do you guys think? my ss is a 2017 sl with 2600 miles on it

The book says, "No play is allowed".

Lot of racks being replaced because of the play on the right side...

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I have the Canadian light conversion kit and halos being delivered today. Thought it was gonna be a fun wrench install day. It will be but looks like I’m going to be pulling back these boots as well to check this out. Sucks we have this going on but grateful for those on the forum that are diligent with this.

@DERI was changing wheels last week and noticed some play on both sides with the passenger side being the worst.Took to dealer and new rack is on the way2016 sl. 16000 miles
    New rack under warranty

• I had a real bad vibration like I was driving on a brick road. Found out it was rack and pinion so the warranty covered it. But it also happen after I hydroplane over a curb tearing up front end blowing a tire and bending the rear rim. New one works great.

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing:

• When inspecting underneath the boot can you be specific as to what I should be looking for please. I have never dealt with steering mechanism’s and have no clue what is normal and what is not. Any input would be helpful thank you

• This is a video I posted that led to my steering rack replacement...

The left side has no play, rattle...

The right side has play and rattles. Simple enough of a check.

As to what I lightly greased is the straight rod under the boot before the knuckle that attaches to the tie rod and then re-do the boot and zippy tie. The end of the video shows a close up of the rod that slides back and forth out of the steering rack and where the bushing wears.

Original posting
    Steering tie rod rattle

• When inspecting underneath the boot can you be specific as to what I should be looking for please. I have never dealt with steering mechanism’s and have no clue what is normal and what is not. Any input would be helpful thank you

Weeeeell SHIT! looks like I have to make a trip to the dealer. My rattle is not as pronounced as yours however there seems to be some play. Disappointed that there is one more thing I have to look at at the dealer but really grateful to everyone pointing out this issue. Better to find out in the garage then on the road! Once again thank you for the great video and input!

• You don't have to take it to the dealer.
    This was info presented for knowledge of.
    If it is not an issue for you, just be aware.

But, if you have this issue....
    other than you, the dealer would be the only one that would determine whether a new rack will happen.

An audible rattle while driving is what led me to look at the front end and lead to the steering rack output...

Prior to that I was a happy fu..

• Thank you for the update. The driver side seems to have no play at all and rigid. The passenger side has a little click click click from side to side. Once I get done with my light install I am going to take it to the dealer and just have them take a look at it. Peace of mind is a good thing. When I think of all the hard twisty driving I have been doing on mountain roads with unforgiving cliffs the thought of having a steering issue is sobering to stay at least. This kind of puts a damper on my light install as I will have this in the back of my mind the whole time instead of the joy of a new mod.

• called the dealer yesturday to have mine checked because of the 1/16 to 1/8 inch of play that I have, supposed to carry it tuesday. today I was at another dealer and both 2018's they had in the show room with no miles on them has the same amount of play that I have, go figure?

Weeeeell SHIT! looks like I have to make a trip to the dealer. My rattle is not as pronounced as yours however there seems to be some play. Disappointed that there is one more thing I have to look at at the dealer but really grateful to everyone pointing out this issue. Better to find out in the garage then on the road! Once again thank you for the great video and input!

Ok, so I got my sling back from the dealer with a new rack n pinion would it be a good idea to fill the boot with grease like a CV joint or not??? Just was trying to do a little preventative maint.

• Just checked my rack.......the driver side is tigher than a **** ***** but the passenger side has a little play.

At the dealer right now to deal with the "catastrophic brake light" so having them check it.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Just checked my rack.......the driver side is tigher than a **** ***** but the passenger side has a little play.

At the dealer right now to deal with the "catastrophic brake light" so having them check it.

sounds like your rack is identical to mine. Would be really interested to hear if the dealer has any input on that when you’re done. Good luck with your brake issue I just went through that myself.