Aftermarket Seats, Seat covers, and Seat recipes

• Thanks for the review. I sat in a 17 at Biketoberfest and they felt nice, like memory foam. Can either of you guys confirm that you sit about an inch lower. I have been thinking about aftermarket seats but I would like to sit lower since I have a top.

• @funinthesun great review on the new Velocity seats! I sat in a new SLR at my local dealer and thought the seats looked better and felt better than the original stock seats. It also seemed to me that it was easier to get in and out of the SS with the new seats. Maybe you and @Port Saint Sling can answer a question for me. It appears that, with the Velocity seats, the red portion is a different material than what is used in the SLR seats. The SLR seats have a textured material in that area and the Velocity seats have a smooth, glossy, material. It also looks like the Velocity seats don't have the colored piping of the SLR seats. Are these assumptions of mine correct?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Ben Franklin)

2002 FatBoy FLSTF
    2016 Polaris Slingshot

• Thanks for the review. I sat in a 17 at Biketoberfest and they felt nice, like memory foam. Can either of you guys confirm that you sit about an inch lower. I have been thinking about aftermarket seats but I would like to sit lower since I have a top.

I can't be positive but I think I actually sit slightly higher now.

• @funinthesun great review on the new Velocity seats! I sat in a new SLR at my local dealer and thought the seats looked better and felt better than the original stock seats. It also seemed to me that it was easier to get in and out of the SS with the new seats. Maybe you and @Port Saint Sling can answer a question for me. It appears that, with the Velocity seats, the red portion is a different material than what is used in the SLR seats. The SLR seats have a textured material in that area and the Velocity seats have a smooth, glossy, material. It also looks like the Velocity seats don't have the colored piping of the SLR seats. Are these assumptions of mine correct?

I'll probably be at the dealer within the next week, I'll check the comparison for you.

I really do feel like they are about an inch shorter than the orginal ones and the seat cushion does feel like it could be memory foam. If you press your hand into the cushion and remove it, you'll see the foam slowly return to the resting position whereas a cheaper foam will usually spring right back into its former shape. But Polaris should have said they used memory foam in the seats IF they really are memory foam.

@funinthesun great review on the new Velocity seats! I sat in a new SLR at my local dealer and thought the seats looked better and felt better than the original stock seats. It also seemed to me that it was easier to get in and out of the SS with the new seats. Maybe you and @Port Saint Sling can answer a question for me. It appears that, with the Velocity seats, the red portion is a different material than what is used in the SLR seats. The SLR seats have a textured material in that area and the Velocity seats have a smooth, glossy, material. It also looks like the Velocity seats don't have the colored piping of the SLR seats. Are these assumptions of mine correct?

Correct, the red material on the sides is a smooth panel, but I do not recall what the SLR seats from the factory is in that area. It could be a different material, but it does dress it up having the red on the sides vs the black on the factory SLR seat. And you're also correct that these do not have the colored piping that the SLR seats do

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Correct, the red material on the sides is a smooth panel, but I do not recall what the SLR seats from the factory is in that area. It could be a different material, but it does dress it up having the red on the sides vs the black on the factory SLR seat. And you're also correct that these do not have the colored piping that the SLR seats do

This is the picture of @Ice9812 black Velocity seats. If you look closely it appears that in that area, that is red on your seats, they have used a textured material like on the SLR seats. Maybe @Ice9812 can confirm that. I prefer the textured material over the smooth and would probably go with a set of black if I could confirm the textured material.

One other question, do the velocity seats come with new seat mounts or do you use the original stock mounts?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Ben Franklin)

2002 FatBoy FLSTF
    2016 Polaris Slingshot

• It's just a difference of interpretation. The old seat base and the old seat back are screwed into the seat frames. The screws are almost like drywall screws that screw into plastic "bosses" on the back (or bottom) of the replacment cushions. You'll have to remove the 4 bolts on each seat (plus the seat belt electrical connection under the drivers seat) and remove the seats from the slingshot. You can then swap the old cushion assemblies for the new ones without unbolting the two frames from each other. Total swap time can be done in an hour or so - less as you do more of these upgrades. The hardest part is getting the seats out carefully if you have a top since you have to bend over and find the room so you don't scratch the interior panels. If you have a removeable steering wheel, I'm sure that would help a LOT for the drivers seat swap.

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• This is the picture of @Ice9812 black Velocity seats. If you look closely it appears that in that area, that is red on your seats, they have used a textured material like on the SLR seats. Maybe @Ice9812 can confirm that. I prefer the textured material over the smooth and would probably go with a set of black if I could confirm the textured material.

One other question, do the velocity seats come with new seat mounts or do you use the original stock mounts?

you're correct the area is textured like the SLR seats. Also I definitely sit about an inch high in these seats compared to the origina stock seats

• Okay, I put in the new Polaris Sport Velocity seats this weekend (cause the wife saw all your pictures and liked the looks) so I will offer my comparison to the stock SL seats. The base on the new ones is more level vs the old which angled down toward the back. The new backs had a pronounced lumbar support which push me more forward and this combined with the level base cushion has me sitting closer to the steering wheel by 1" (belly to lower steering wheel) and about 1" higher (line of sight over windshield). Hope this makes sense. First impressions they sit me different and was not sure, but after 10 hours between Sat and Sun I am starting to like them. Hitting hard bumps you actually feel your ass (I am not recommending you feel your ass) compressing into the foam base and the lumber hump feel nice after you get used to it. When hitting the twisties hard you do feel the additional side bolsters, but they are soft and still allow you to move some, I would say they are slightly better than stock. For compare I am 6' 1" and 270 lbs (this is all food abuse not muscle). As far as getting in and out, it is not any more difficult then before and as I am up a little higher, it actually seemed easier. I am not the type to give great reviews just because I spend my money on a product, but for the price this was a good purchase. Love the looks of the new Red trim over the old as it matches the SL paint much better.

• I tried searching but didn't find any info so figured i would ask.

I decided to switch the seats after inspecting them today(took them off for the audio install) noticed that the back seam of the driver side is breaking/peeling rather than dealing with a warranty claim(shouldn't be happening with 5x miles.

Looking on CarID(don't want the PRP Seats) found the Sparco Expedition and NRG(leaning toward those Faster RED NRG) and Cipher CPA 1031.

Anyone has any experience mounting any of these?
    Will they mount to the stock hardware or do i need a bracket?

• Check this out: (no, stock bracket won't work)

Polaris Slingshot Aftermarket Seat Bracket by Planted Technology

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• yeah saw those, now trying to narrow down the actual seat based on other people experience with them since i like all three, according to the website the bracket is needed for Cipher seats but possibly not for the Sparcos/NRG which is what confuses me.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I like my Ciphers! Much sportier IMO than prps, but the others you posted look similar...

Yeah that's my problem with the PRP and Corbin, they look more like what you would find in an 80's muscle car rather than a 2016 sporty batmobile...... :00008172:

How comfortable are those Cypher and did they fit the stock bracket or did you have to buy an aftermarket bracket.

• Comfortable around town... Have a gel cushion for long trips... It was a life saver driving from California to Houston (thanks to Ed, aka Zorro, from TDS for throwing it in)...

Aftermarket brackets... Planted I believe...

• Comfortable around town... Have a gel cushion for long trips... It was a life saver driving from California to Houston (thanks to Ed, aka Zorro, from TDS for throwing it in)...

Aftermarket brackets... Planted I believe...

Are they more comfortable than the Stock seats? Have you sat on a PRP and if so how do they compare?

Anyone with the PRP SS(gen2) how comfortable are they on long rides, i don't like the look of the PRP but at the same time I am trying to find something that would be equal to it in comfort since that is the main thing i need.