Aftermarket Seats, Seat covers, and Seat recipes

• Our PRP Gen 2 seats still looking new.... but, we didn't have access to the newest rendition of the Polaris seats at half the price. Would do a serious consideration of those, if I had a do over.. and not upgrading to harnesses.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Installed the new Polaris quilted seats in @HeRSlings SS. Have two sets of the stock black and red seats in the garage. They will never go back in. Put PRP Gen 2 in my 15 before I traded it. Drove over 10k miles with them and they were great. At about 3k they sent me newer design seat pads (free) and they were great.
    Have the velocity seats in my SLR. They are really good but could use a little more padding in the bottom.
    My wife loves her new quilted Velocitys that also have extra padding in them. I think they are really comfortably padded. They were $800 from Polaris and used my $50 off on accessories coupon. Of course, in true Polaris fashion, if you want the quilted seats with red stitching it will cost $2000! If she decides she wants red stitching a local upholstery shop will redo them for about $200.

• So giving serious consideration to the Polaris Quilted seats.

Price is coming in at $999 Canadian, and have spent a day on the Velocity seats in an SLR and found a remarkable difference between them and the Stock Vynal seats. With PRP coming in at 1200 and 1400 for Gen 1 and 2 respectively, (Canadian exchange included), I just can't see an absolute reason to go PRP. (which is the seat I've been looking at prior to the quilted ones)

So, anyone with experience in both seats have any input as to which way to go? Or simply base it on the $$$ amount and go from there?

Price is coming in at $999 Canadian, and have spent a day on the Velocity seats in an SLR and found a remarkable difference between them and the Stock Vynal seats. With PRP coming in at 1200 and 1400 for Gen 1 and 2 respectively, (Canadian exchange included), I just can't see an absolute reason to go PRP. (which is the seat I've been looking at prior to the quilted ones)

So, anyone with experience in both seats have any input as to which way to go? Or simply base it on the $$$ amount and go from there?

I had a set of the Velocity seats for about 10 days before I sold them. The problem I had with the Polaris seats was the flex in the side bolster. Every sharp turn it felt like I was sliding out of the seat. I ended up with the PRP gen 1 seats and love them. They hold you in place nicely. In my individual opinion, they are well worth the money. You need to find some to sit in before you buy. BTW, wait for Black Friday sales at SlingMods!

:HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS::SILVERSS:My paint is fast, TURBO Silver!

I have had the PRP Gen II and the Velocity (in my SLR now) and bought my wife the quilted Polaris seats. Loved the PRPs, really like the Velocity seats and the quilted ones. For the price ($100 more than Velocity) she loves the quilted. I really like them too but would like slightly more side bolster.

• I had a set of the Velocity seats for about 10 days before I sold them. The problem I had with the Polaris seats was the flex in the side bolster. Every sharp turn it felt like I was sliding out of the seat. I ended up with the PRP gen 1 seats and love them. They hold you in place nicely. In my individual opinion, they are well worth the money. You need to find some to sit in before you buy. BTW, wait for Black Friday sales at SlingMods!

I have had the PRP Gen II and the Velocity (in my SLR now) and bought my wife the quilted Polaris seats. Loved the PRPs, really like the Velocity seats and the quilted ones. For the price ($100 more than Velocity) she loves the quilted. I really like them too but would like slightly more side bolster.

Well, I have sat in quite a few PRP seats, and know enough that I prefer the Gen 1 seats over the Gen 2. That being said, one interesting point you both make is the side bolster.

I'm a big guy, and I actually prefer less side interference than most people because it just isn't comfortable for me.... My wife might prefer it though so, may need to consult her further, and get her back into a few seats to point out the difference. Who knows.

Then again.... I may just buy the quilted ones and call them a Christmas present, lol.

Either way, thanks for the input.

• Hey all. Anyone know the seat weight of the stock seats? I understand they will change depending on model. I have the quilted seats and they are comfortable, but I was hoping to get a seat with the harness straps.

Also, anyone try the Sparko R333 seats? Cost wise, they are inexpensive in comparison. Realize I may have to get seat covers for rain as they don't look waterproof, but don't believe the quilted stock seats are too waterproof either as you can wipe them down and then sit on them and you butt is soaked. The Sparko R333 certainly look nice, but I'd like something for long trips too.

Thoughts?

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• Wasn't aware the quilted ones soaked up water.

but don't believe the quilted stock seats are too waterproof either as you can wipe them down and then sit on them and you butt is soaked.

Is this an issue? Should I be factoring in a pair of seat covers if I go this route? That would change my purchase option as well if it were the case.

Or, is this something that could be dealt with a waterproofing treatment of some sort?

• There seems to be a misunderstanding as to what weatherproof/marine grade means.

It doesn't mean they won't soak water but that with repeated exposure they won't develop mold(*).

Marine certified also adds a coating to protect against saline/sulfur.

So unless you are planning to let you SS sit in the rain all the time, a good leather/vinyl/pleather seat is all you need.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I haven't had an issue, but the wife and I are fairly easy going and just laugh at ourselves walking around with "wet ass". Probably wouldn't hurt to put a layer of scotch guard on them, but on the flip side, the seats were designed as @Neosolidus noted and I wouldn't want to keep the seat from breathing by using scotch guard.

Anyway...

Anyone have Sparco seats? I'm looking at the R333. Sharp looking seats, but I've spend a lot of money to keep the waterproofing of the unit and now contemplating seats that are not. I'd say stop being cheap and just fork over the money for the sling seats, but on the flip side, I like the Sparko R333 seats. They are a little heavy though at almost 40 lbs. Not sure what the stock seats weigh in comparison. Would rather go lighter, but not spending $4K on carbon fiber seats.

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• Is this actually true of the quilted comfort seats?

Bill

My wife has the quilted seats. They do allow more water to enter because there are many more holes from the stitching. However, You can decrease the amount of water entering if you use seam sealer for tents, flip the seats forward, put on seat covers, or just sit in them with your rain suit on while riding. Then seats absorbing water are the least of your problems. :D

• My wife has the quilted seats. They do allow more water to enter because there are many more holes from the stitching. However, You can decrease the amount of water entering if you use seam sealer for tents, flip the seats forward, put on seat covers, or just sit in them with your rain suit on while riding. Then seats absorbing water are the least of your problems. :D

Thanks dangerdarrell, (scratch quilted seats!)

Bill

• wjfyfe , the quilted seats are very comfortable but don’t have enough side bolster. My wife sat in some at the dealership in Waynesville, NC before we bought her 15. She liked them but now wishes we had spent the extra $500 to get the PRPs like I had in my 15. Any seat will absorb water at the seams. The original seats didn’t because they were basically welded seam plastic over foam. Not as comfortable as the newer seats but more waterproof. I have four of them in my garage. One full set going to someone at the Kerrville meet.

• I now carry 4 heavy duty trash bags behind my seats. I have the PRP, and they will take days to dry out if you ride in really hard rain or if it sits uncovered in the rain. If storms are evident, I'll put on the trash bags before riding into the rain. If seats are already wet, I'll put on the trash bags to keep my clothes from getting wet. Not a prefect solution, but it is something that helps. V-SHOT showed us this trick at Maggie last year, and it was really wet there that week!

• I now carry 4 heavy duty trash bags behind my seats. I have the PRP, and they will take days to dry out if you ride in really hard rain or if it sits uncovered in the rain. If storms are evident, I'll put on the trash bags before riding into the rain. If seats are already wet, I'll put on the trash bags to keep my clothes from getting wet. Not a prefect solution, but it is something that helps. V-SHOT showed us this trick at Maggie last year, and it was really wet there that week!

For a moment i read " he was really wet last year".....

Man what a scare!

• For a moment i read " he was really wet last year".....

Man what a scare!

Ask him about the ride from Cherokee to Maggie Valley. Not wet like you are talking about.... but I actually could wring water out of my underwear when we got back. Never been in a downpour like that before that day or since! Just hate that I only had one pair of shoes with me on that trip..... :huh: