Whoa...voodoo bumper and 4 wheel conversion?

• From all that you have said it seems FL its on its way to become another cali.......

Here in MN once you purchase a vehicle you NEVER have to take it anywhere for inspection even when you buy a vehicle from private seller, for example last year I bought and rebuilt crashed a jeep .

I did most of the work very slowly as a weekend project and when it came time to go to the DMV and title the vehicle all I had to present were receipts of the work(parts in my case) and I was good to go, from the sounds of it in FL I would have had to jump through a lot of hoops.

Also regarding the picture above there is a difference between mods being made for off road only vs a mod that will change the classification/title of your vehicle, if you argue that the Quad conversions are not street legal I would agree with you on the basis that they have never passed DOT testing and you could be stopped for that but not because it is no longer a motorcycle.

Just because your state has restrictive laws doesn't mean that every state is like that, another reason to always stay in the Yankee side . :POKESS:

I wish a few of the many people with Quads would speak up and shed some light into the debate, the guy with the quad that crashed on colorado last year is from FL, he would be a good source since he has had his quad for almost 2 years and drives it in the street and from FL to CO at least once and never posted of any issues.

The one quad that I know off locally is not part of the forum, he has had his for a year now and no issues here in MN/WI/SD.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

Edited 2 times, last by Neosolidus ().

• First, a question, when you rebuilt that Jeep did you make any changes contrary to existing regulations?

As far as the other quads out there, just because they have yet to be stopped does not mean that they are legal? (Or are we going by the saying that everything is legal until you are caught?)

The question here is going to be when that LEO ultimately stops a 4-wheeled vehicle with a motorcycle or autocycle license plate which clearly defies in place regulations. Like I have already stated, it is going to be interesting, and I can almost bet it will ultimately not be in favor of allowing these vehicles to remain classified as a motorcycle.

I have a sneaking suspicion that in the end folks are ultimately going to wish that they had left this all well enough alone and allowed the SlingShot to remain classified as it was when originally conceived, a simple motorcycle.

Bill

• if you argue that the Quad conversions are not street legal I would agree with you on the basis that they have never passed DOT testing and you could be stopped for that but not because it is no longer a motorcycle.

It is not an argument but rather a fact that as of July 01, 2018 the Quad conversion will not meet the the requirements for registration as an Autocycle in FL ...

the guy with the quad that crashed on colorado last year is from FL, he would be a good source since he has had his quad for almost 2 years and drives it in the street and from FL to CO at least once and never posted of any issues

Prior to July 01, 2018 Slingshots have been/are titled and registered as a motorcycle in FL, so Otters and all Quad conversions registered in FL prior to the new regulation taking effect fall under the old rules ..... how this is going to be handled going forward is still an unanswered question. The state hasn't even addressed if they are going to change the registration classification for Slingshots from motorcycle to Autocycle if registered prior to the new classification taking effect or if new tags will be issued. No doubt it will be an f'ed up mess for years, DOT employees will not be properly trained, and LEO's will choose to selectively enforce just like the Autocycle helmet question in other states. It was not fully thought out and few where willing to listen but unfortunately, in an election year, the insurance companies money was more powerful than logic. Still fighting for clarification as well as allowing street legal quads and side-by-sides on rural roads but again few are willing to listen. I hate it, but it is what it is.

..... bored-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• I would disagree to some of this statement. Personally, I feel the Slingshot is in a class of it's own for now, not really a motorcycle but is classified as one by the states. So, if classified by the states as such, then it is the same concept when it comes to the laws regarding it. So, motorcycles (including 2 wheeled ones, and the Slingshot) must have 2 or 3 wheels touching the road. By this standard for both, what was posted is very much on point..... a four wheeled motorcycle. By law, would be the same exact thing as far as the state is concerned on either the two wheeled bike with outriggers making four wheels or a Slingshot with quad conversion. Both, by definition of the state, are motorcycles with four wheels and subject to the same laws that most are discussing in this thread.

• First, a question, when you rebuilt that Jeep did you change the design?

I was talking regarding the fact that I bought it from a private seller, rebuilt it and then registered all the work which gave me HUGE tax savings(they were mods that would have been done even to a new jeep anyways) without having to show the vehicle, where in Florida just the private owner purchase would require me to present the vehicle at the DMV let along all the "repair/rebuild work".

What I am trying to get at is that not all states are out to get you.

• Here in California my Slingshot is classified as a motorcycle - there is no Autocycle option here.

When I bought it it was registered as a motorcycle and motorcycle plates were issued - every piece of paperwork I have on it says it is a motorcycle including the motorcycle insurance I am required to carry.

I can mod this thing until I turn blue and and each year when the registration comes due I will get a renewal notice in the mail to register my "motorcycle". I will never need to take it any place for any kind of inspection, not even for smog.

if a law were passed that said quad conversions on motorcycles were not legal and I went ahead and did one it would be an equipment violation if I were to get pulled over for it. I would be given a ticket and I would have to correct the equipment violation and go get a sheriff or CHP to sign off saying that I had in fact corrected the violation and I might have to pay a fine

even with this violation my slingshot would still legally be a motorcycle and I would never be required to go re register it as a kit car or anything else - Once it is a motorcycle it is a motorcycle forever and equipment violations do not change what it it - they are simply fix it violations that must be made right

So I would like ask those in states where the law says a motorcycle by definition must have 2 or 3 wheels - - would a quad kit actually change the classification of the vehicle and require it to be inspected and re registered or would it simply be an equipment violation that had to be fixed if and when a citation were issued?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• In Indiana the SS is an autocycle. It follows all motorcycle laws and stipulations, with the following changes. You must wear the seatbelts. You do not have to have a motorcycle endorsement. That's about it. As for mods (here at least), I don't think a quad conversion will be an issue here, at least not until something is written into the laws that specifically calls the quad conversion to be not legal to run on the road. There are several bikes like the one I posted above in my previous post, and no one bothers them. I just don't see it being a problem here.

Of course, I have no interest in a quad conversion for mine. I'm just glad they did let us put them on the road. No other vehicle gives me this much joy whenever I'm out in it.....

• Hahaha so even Cali does it right... my apologies I figure it would be you guys leading the pack of states trying to over complicate a simple matter.

So Vermont ( @Shatneyman AO) and FL are the places to stay clear from lol.

Anyways has anyone ever heard any of the quad owners complaint about getting pulled over/cited?

• OK, I got some further clarification where I contacted DMV myself and the response that I got is that when the SlingShot was manufactured it met regulation as a motorcycle/autocycle. If this mod is added, if you are stopped by law enforcement, just because the SlingShot was (legally) classified as a motorcycle when it was manufactured, with adding the fourth wheel you are now operating an illegal vehicle that no longer meets current regulation and thus would be at the mercy of law enforcement and/or the court(s). The result most possibly being prohibited from operating the vehicle until it has been returned to it's original,"legal" condition.

Bill

• I'm glad that's one mod I never considered. I always thought it looked cool...alot of planning and design went into it but it was nothing I could see myself doing.

Although from what I hear... @ericastar76 might want one for those "over the hill and thru the woods " journeys she seems to like! 8o:whistling::saint:

SSreaper

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• OK, I got some further clarification where I contacted DMV myself and the response that I got is that when the SlingShot was manufactured it met regulation as a motorcycle/autocycle. If this mod is added, if you are stopped by law enforcement, just because the SlingShot was (legally) classified as a motorcycle when it was manufactured, with adding the fourth wheel you are now operating an illegal vehicle that no longer meets current regulation and thus would be at the mercy of law enforcement and/or the court(s). The result most possibly being prohibited from operating the vehicle until it has been returned to it's original,"legal" condition.

Bill

sounds pretty much like any illegal equipment violation - either fix it, or stop driving it. Here in California simply changing my exhaust system could have the same results were I to be cited for it.

I guess the question one should ask themselves before making potentially illegal mods is how likely are you to be cited?

If I change my exhaust system so long as I dont make it too loud I would say the odds of getting a ticket were close to non existent. we have no inspections and so no one would even know it wasnt stock. Adding a quad conversion is very different - its right out there for the world to see and if it is illegal I would think the police would be very likely to pull you over and write you up.

I would say before making any mod do your research - find out if it is or is not legal where you live, and if its not legal then ask yourself if you want to take the chance - putting a stock exhaust back on to un do the mod and get the fix it ticket signed off on as having been fixed would be a pain, but its doable - - - removing a quad conversion and going back to three might not be so easy

one thing for sure - if you change any equipment and replace it with something that might get you an equipment ticket I would recommend strongly that you keep all the things you removed just in case you have to put them all back

Edited 2 times, last by Edward Neal ().

• To my knowledge none of the mods sold or being installed on the sling shot are street legal(dot approved).

While I have heard of plenty of ppl getting stopped due to lights and loud exhaust , I am yet to hear about anyone getting pulled over due to a quad conversion.

It's like tinting the windows in your car passed the 50% legal limit, chances are that unless you do something else you will never get pulled over

• It's like tinting the windows in your car passed the 50% legal limit, chances are that unless you do something else you will never get pulled over

So what your telling me is that Im not really getting pulled over because I have limo tint on my car ?!? :/ Thats what I have been telling everybody and the fact I was doing 100mph + each time had nothing to do with it! :thumbsup:

SSREAPER

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• I agree, edwardaneal, this appears to be a case of it is legal until you get stopped! :)

In the end all one would be out of is a lil time and money, right?

Back in my 2 wheel days I had friend who got so many tickets for loud exhaust on his bike it seemed like it was once a month. Every dang time he would put the stock pipe back on then go find a sheriff or CHP to sign off that he had fixed it and then he would go home and put the straight pipe back on - I don't know if it has changed, but back then there was no fine involved - just prove you corrected it and then start over

• Back in my 2 wheel days I had friend who got so many tickets for loud exhaust on his bike it seemed like it was once a month. Every dang time he would put the stock pipe back on then go find a sheriff or CHP to sign off that he had fixed it and then he would go home and put the straight pipe back on - I don't know if it has changed, but back then there was no fine involved - just prove you corrected it and then start over

My local court house charges a "convenience court fee of 37.50" for their inconvenience of dealing with the repair ticket.