Whoa...voodoo bumper and 4 wheel conversion?

• Curious, how would this vehicle be registered and / or licensed, it is no longer a motorcycle or autocycle?

Bill

whatever it was when it was first sold - modifications done after the vehicle is first sold not change how it is legally classified

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• In Oregon a motorcycle/autocycle are limited to three wheels by regulation....................

Bill

As of July 1st Florida is the same ... the states new classification is very specific ... more than three cannot be registered as an autocycle .....

... ninja-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Also, I do not understand why would somebody want to do this? One of the reasons we purchased our SlingShot was because it is unique, this mod makes the SlingShot look like just another dune buggy or sand rail and not as versatile?

Bill

The reason why the quads are "popular" is because is a simple way to get something similar to a KTM Xbow/Ariel Atom without paying over $100k

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Bolt-on mods can not change the classification of the vehicle.

I respectfully disagree .....

The new Fl classification was written to specifically address this concern ....

Register it as an Autocycle in FL then add a fourth wheel you violate the classification so while it does not change the way it is titled you are now improperly registered and cannot legally operate it on FL public roads .... get stopped they will confiscate the tag and leave you on the side on the road with a summons as your quad waves goodbye on a flatbed ....

You think that these being produced in this state had anything to do with the way the new law was written ....... wink-squared

• Have you contacted the DMV or are you speculating, at least here in MN it will not(or that was the response i got last
    summer when I inquired).

Their answer was that as long as no frame modifications were made and the new modifications were direct "bolt-on" there was no change in registration and the only thing I had to worry about was the insurance company.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Have you contacted the DMV or are you speculating,

I know the legislator who wrote the new FL legal description for registration as an "Autocycle" ...

...... ninja-squared

EDIT: BTW.. I lobbied against it..wanted the SLingshot to remain a MC in FL ..

Edited once, last by Orangeman ().

• Bolt-on mods can not change the classification of the vehicle.

If this were true in this case, I would think that we would be seeing manufacturers putting out vehicles with a makeshift third wheel to classify as a motorcycle/autocycle to get around the automobile regulations and then offer a "kit" to "modify" it to four wheels after the sale, or did I just give somebody an idea?

Otherwise, I am thinking of poor LEOs that know that the law specifically states that a motorcycle or autocycle can have no more then three wheels in contact with the ground and see something like this go by?

It may be fun sitting in when this goes to court? :/

Bill

• Lol, and there are already numerous four wheeled vehicles out there available off of the show room floor that are so much better suited than trying to convert a SlingShot? :/:S
    Bill

I respectfully disagree. For example...how does this reasoning differ from adding a roof when there are NUMEROUS vehicles with roofs? Ya feel me? Your SS is your SS. Go nuts! (Unless its illegal of course!)

• I respectfully disagree. For example...how does this reasoning differ from adding a roof when there are NUMEROUS vehicles with roofs? Ya feel me? Your SS is your SS. Go nuts! (Unless its illegal of course!)

Oh, that is so funny asking me about putting a roof on a motorcycle................... :S

On that note, A friend and I happened to trade vehicles yesterday with me taking his two wheeler and he our SlingShot. To ride the two wheeler I was all decked out in proper PPE, it was in the mid-nineties OAT, and I really was a roasting while he was a complementing how much more comfortable the SlingShot was in such weather, even without a roof! :D

Bill

• In Oregon a motorcycle/autocycle are limited to three wheels by regulation....................

Bill

How a manufacturer registers a vehicle at the time of registering the original title is regulated , I would respectively challenge you Sir to show us where in those regulations , it is stated that no modifications are allowed to a vehicle after it has been titled. The key question here is , does modifying a vehicle with a bolt on mod that appears to alter it from the state which it was originally registered void its registration ? to this date I have yet to be made aware of any regulation in any State that cares to address that. please specify if you are so aware of one ?

• How a manufacturer registers a vehicle at the time of registering the original title is regulated , I would respectively challenge you Sir to show us where in those regulations , it is stated that no modifications are allowed to a vehicle after it has been titled. The key question here is , does modifying a vehicle with a bolt on mod that appears to alter it from the state which it was originally registered void its registration ? to this date I have yet to be made aware of any regulation in any State that cares to address that. please specify if you are so aware of one ?

Oh, so touchy aren't we? All I am questioning is where Oregon statute reads..............................

motorcycle
    "Motorcycle" means any self-propelled vehicle other than a moped or farm tractor that:
    (1) Has a seat or saddle for use of the rider;
    (2) Is designed to be operated on the ground upon wheels; and
    (3) Is designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground. [1983 c.338 §63]

Autocycle

“Autocycle” means a motorcycle that:
    (1) Is manufactured to travel on three wheels;
    (2) Has a steering wheel for steering control;
    (3) Has nonstraddle seating; and
    (4) Is equipped with a manufacturer-installed three-point safety belt or safety harness. [2017 c.296 §2]

.............and when that LEO sees this driving by with four wheels and it no longer meets either of these definitions?
    Bill