The Sling is acting weird....

• So we took the SS out this morning and I noticed that when I am coming to a stop it is bogging down and acts like it is going to die. I watch the RPMs and they are dropping below 500, but it is only for a second. We had it out for several hours yesterday and I noticed no issues. Any ideas?

Semper Fi

"Will Work for MODs!"

• Is it the first time it has ever done this? Is it running good during all other conditions?

Sounds like the typical rev drop you get during certain driving conditions to me...

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• Actually no, it did it when I first got it and was running regular fuel. I switched to premium and it hasn’t had any issues since. It’s not throwing any codes and seems fine all other times. Just when stopping.

Semper Fi

"Will Work for MODs!"

• One thing to always check if your Slingshot is acting weird is the vacuum cap underneath the throttle body on the intake manifold. There is a nipple that has a cap on it and it sometimes will work its way loose. Usually on boosted setups, but I have seen this happen on a NA setup too.

If you see a nipple with no cap, you have a problem. On the below picture, the left side of my far bottom right blue hose is going to where that nipple is on the stock Slingshot. It is capped when stock.

Doubt this is the issue, but it is a quick thing to check and to zip tie so it doesn't fall off at a later time.

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• Don't have my Sling to slide out to look at....

@TravAZ if I remember correctly, there are two stems below the valve body... the one with the cap points back toward the cabin, the other not used points toward the left wheel and has no cap.

Good idea to zippy tie the cap when you check...

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Gas station tanks are underground ...think condensation ...

Plus it depends on where the gas station buys it’s gas...

Dry gas and Lucas gas treatment... 93 octane...

Main reason I only run 93 in all my vehicles for the last 40 plus years...no crap in my tanks...

But I still use Lucas in all of them a few times a year to make sure the injectors stay clean...

Ethanol in the cheaper grades eats rubber and kills carburetors in small engines and messes with big ones too...

• It could also be a gas pedal issue...

Do you fill your tank to the tippity top?

Big no no...clogs up the vacuume stuff...

Never over fill any gas tank in any vehicle...when the handle shuts off stop and hang it up...

That’s why they tell you that....I always thought it was BS....until I had to replace stuff because the vacuum test sucked in gasoline....

• I only fill it until the pump shuts off.

I will have to check this out...

Semper Fi

"Will Work for MODs!"

• The slingshot does not have a fuel/fume recovery system. Released as a motorcycle, it circumvents the EPA requirement for automobiles.

The are two tubes that hang down and exit to the right of the battery and left of the swingarm. One tube is a fuel overflow should you spill fuel into the collar of the filling neck. The other is a fuel tank vent. If the vent tube were to become blocked, kinked, pinched, a vacuum in the tank could occur. Engine shutdown, and at worst, tank collasp, or pump failure could occur.

Because @D.W.Slusher is only experiencing a stumble on stops, tank vacuum is not the problem.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• The slingshot does not have a fuel/fume recovery system. Released as a motorcycle, it circumvents the EPA requirement for automobiles.
    The are two tubes that hang down and exit to the right of the battery and left of the swingarm. One tube is a fuel overflow should you spill fuel into the collar of the filling neck. The other is a fuel tank vent. If the vent tube were to become blocked, kinked, pinched, a vacuum in the tank could occur. Engine shutdown, and at worst, tank collasp, or pump failure could occur.

Because @D.W.Slusher is only experiencing a stumble on stops, tank vacuum is not the problem.

....ok so does that mean I can continue to fill her up to the tippy top ( because I always did ....Id fill it up so far you would think I'm pissing 93 octane.....) But now I know otherwise......

.......always say, you learn something new everyday....

• If the SS is more like a car since it has a car's engine, I'd say that you have a vaccum leak somewhere. You also might want to check the Mass Airflow Meter (it signals the ECU about the proper air coming into the engine) to make sure there are no leaks that way. What is happening is that the ECU is trying to give fuel to the motor under an idle condition when rolling to control the rpms from falling too much and creating a stall. The air/fuel must be matched to what the ECU is trying to compute. So if the air is off when it dumps more fuel, it'll hesitate. Further if the proper gas isn't there but the air quantity is, it will also cause a stall.

Bad gas shouldn't cause a stall only at idle. It would have a rough idle all the time.

• You also might want to check the Mass Airflow Meter (it signals the ECU about the proper air coming into the engine)

The Slingshot does not use a mass air flow sensor like most cars that use this engine ......... only an intake temp sensor and MAP sensor on the intake ....

.... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......