shocks - what are the differences

• One of the few mods I plan on making when I have the discretionary funds to do it will be to replace my stock shocks. Money for mods is not something I have to waste trying to get it right so I am hoping that the experts here can help to educate me. First my reason for changing the shocks is more for performance than comfort I really havent had any comfort issues with the stock suspension. What I want in better shocks is improved handling. having looked on the sites it seems my three major choices in manufactures are QA1, JRI and DDM. I also have options in 1,2,&3 way adjustability. I really dont plan on changing the ride height of my sling and I doubt I will be messing with stopping to adjust my shocks every time I decide to drive a fun twisty road

So, considering this can someone please tell me the differences between these 3 brands of shock and if one is superior help me understand why? Also considering my needs would I be best served getting a preset "sports" shock or something more adjustable and trying to set it and forget it?

up until now I had been thinking the JRI one way sports shocks might be what I should get, but I figured I would be wise to ask here before I find out I made a mistake :/

Thank you all very much

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• no one?

• @edwardaneal I went with the JRI grand Touring because I didn't feel like I would be stopping to adjust when I'm going to drive aggressively which seems to 'just happen'. I have been very happy with the choice but have not experienced the adjustables. The difference over stock is significant.

There's a bunch of info, threads and opinions on this.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I thought the DDM were also QA1? I know that Hahn and Twist Dynamics use QA1 as their shock provider. JRI has several lines for the slingshot. Also there are the Bilsteins. If you can get someone to get you the correct size, you can actually order the QA1 parts from Summit.

As far as ride...

JRI touring - very comfy. A substantial step up from the factory shocks. It was so much better that I could tell they weren't factory about 2 minutes in to a ride.

Twist Dynamics QA1 triple adjustable - the range of adjustment is just insane. It can be Cadillac soft or tightened up to be as still as factory with more control. You also get ride height adjustment.

Bilsteins - Hard to tell a huge difference from stock with out doing some heavy adjusting. It seems too stiff compared to the other 2.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• Shocks have been discussed to a nauseum, if you do a search easily 30 threads will show up.

I am not trying to be mean but you are not doing anything special where the advice already given to others wouldn't also work for you.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Shocks have been discussed to a nauseum, if you do a search easily 30 threads will show up.

I am not trying to be mean but you are not doing anything special where the advice already given to others wouldn't also work for you.

I did a search and I could not find a thread where the actual design differences were discussed - single tube like JRI or double like DDM?? - - I want to understand what this means and if one is superior

perhaps you can direct me to the thread since I couldnt find it

• There are basically 2 types of shocks being sold, twin tube and monotube shocks.

Our DDMWorks shocks and the QA1's (which have been branded as HAHN,Twist,etc) are twin tube shocks. Twin tube shocks are less expensive to manufacture, hence the lower price point that you will see with twin tube setups. Most OEM shocks on cars are twin tube shocks since they offer generally a good ride at a lower price point. A twin tube shock has essentially 2 tubes inside, with the piston moving through one of the tubes and the fluid inside the shock able to move around and into the other tube. The downside is that the piston area on twin tube shocks is relative small when compared to a monotube shock.

The JRI, Bilstiens and Ohlins setups are monotube shocks. Monotube shocks are what you will find on most performance cars from the factory and most performance aftermarket shocks. Monotubes are just a tube with a large piston inside, which allows for better control of the movement of the shock than the twin tube setup. Generally monotube shocks are also gas pressurized also (some twin tube shocks are gas charged also). If you are doing racing the Monotube will offer more consistent damping and better control, however at a higher price.

Our shocks are not manufactured by QA1, we found another manufacturer that is able to offer Slingshot specific damping and several other upgrades over the QA1 shocks and is the reason we chose to go with them for our setups. We also designed our setup for the majority of the customers we have met over the years now with the Slingshot. Most customers we have talked to want a setup that is nice and comfortable for long drives and cruising, but has the option to be sporty if they want to go play for the day. Also, price is always a big consideration with customers looking at shocks and that $1000 mark seems to be the price point most are willing to pay for a good setup.

For comparison, we have driven every suspension option out there at this point (except the JRI hydraulic height adjustables, I have never seen those yet). For around the $1000 mark you have our DDMWorks shocks, the QA1's (HAHN, Twist), Bilstein and the single adjustable JRI's. The JRI and Bilsteins are monotube shocks and definitely work well, offer height adjustability, but no control of the damping. I would probably say the JRI's are a little more comfortable than the Bilsteins, with the Bilsteins having a little better handling (higher damping) than the JRI's. The QA1's and our DDMWorks shocks both are going to offer height and damping adjustability at that price point and if you are not tracking the Slingshot heavily, the advantage of the monotube over the twin tube shock is not something you will notice. The specific damping of our DDMworks shocks over the QA1 shocks is definitely noticeable and ours can be set to a very comfortable ride or pretty sporty. I know it is not a surprise coming from us, but our shocks are definitely a better performer than the QA1's at the same price point. There are starting to be a good amount of the sets out there, people like @MACAWS has had both sets and can probably give some feedback here also.

Once you get above that $1000 price point, you get into the JRI double and triple adjustables along with the Ohlins. They are great performers, with the Ohlins basically the best handling setup for the Slingshot there is, but also the most expensive.

That is a quick explanation, let us know if there is anything else we can answer, back there working on the turbo kit today :)
    Dave

- Also here is another quick explanation about twin tube vs. monotube -

KYB Americas | The Differences Between Monotube & Twin-tube

Pros and cons of monotube and twin tube -

Monotube Vs Twin-Tube - What is the Difference? What is Better? - ISC Suspension

• Thank you Dave - - this is exactly the information I was looking for :D

• Are these ever going to be offered with powder coated springs to match color schemes of different Slingshot's? Big thing holding me back from buying the DDM's.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• Have ordered some Scale coil overs with reverse adjustment on the rear unit. @Canoehead convinced me as he said his look real good and work really well in the original box. I am not impressed with their customer service at this point but hopefully the product will impress when I see the box. :D

• Have ordered some Scale coil overs with reverse adjustment on the rear unit. @Canoehead convinced me as he said his look real good and work really well in the original box. I am not impressed with their customer service at this point but hopefully the product will impress when I see the box. :D

Any chance you can PM me the set you went with? I am looking around and they are on my radar.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• Are these ever going to be offered with powder coated springs to match color schemes of different Slingshot's? Big thing holding me back from buying the DDM's.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

As a matter of fact, we were just about to introduce these -

We have the following colors available -

Standar Color is our Silver Finish

Optional colors - $100 option
    Red
    Yellow
    Black
    White
    Purple
    Blue
    Orange Mettalic
    Green Metallic

The options are up on our site and ready to order!

DDMWorks Slingshot Coilover upgrade

Let me know if you have any other questions,
    Dave

For comparison, we have driven every suspension option out there at this point (except the JRI hydraulic height adjustables, I have never seen those yet).

@mniron has them and he was at the Texas rally! Well, you can see them in Maggie Valley if interested...

I think @jorgebri60 has them too... As his are alpha jris that looked different... But not sure...

• I purchased a set of the DDM tripples with Red Springs and I am having them installed as we speak. I can tell you that they are great looking and beefy feeling in the hand. I love that they hcame with everything necessary to install with adjusting wrenches and all. They are rebuildable if ever needed which was a great selling point.

@Dave@DDMWorks spent quite a bit of time with me explaining them and the differences before I bought them and I love his customer service. @Angie@DDMWorks is always at the phone ready to take a call and answer any question and that is a comfort as well.

Lets face it...these mods are not cheap by any measure and Im not rich...if I am going to spend this kind of money it has to be with someone I trust and so far DDM WORKS and thier staff has impressed me with the level of customer service I have experienced already.

Thank you @Dave@DDMWorks and @Angie@DDMWorks and look for me to be asking some more questions about a Supercharger Setup in the near future.

Reap

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• I just installed a set of Scale Innovative series and I must say the quality and the performance change is nothing less than awesome. So easy to make changes and be able to equalise shock heights due to the scale. 12 settings from soft to hard also allow you to dial in your ride with a twist of a knob. They do have different spring rates and a multitude of colours. Plus they're made in Canada and with the exchange rate and free shipping to the USA it might work out to be a hell of a deal for you.

All the oil might be in Alberta but the dipsticks are in Ottawa!