Rear End Noise Questions

• But didn't you hear... Polaris engineering has never seen a bad bearing.... confused-squared

was talking about this with the dealer today. They have been talking to Polaris too much. His response was that the bearing failures are caused by a type of driving.... :00008862:

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• was talking about this with the dealer today. They have been talking to Polaris too much. His response was that the bearing failures are caused by a type of driving.... :00008862:

LOL! You mean like the kind of driving they show in their own commercials?! Check out the guy coming around the corner here...

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• If t was based on driving then all of us from SSITS would be at the dealer!!

I was....hahaha! Polaris actually was there when mine was pulled. Bearing pulled properly and hand delivered to their engineers so they could see where the failure was occurring. Apparently most of the bearing were being "destroyed/damaged" further during removal.

• I am currently experiencing sever Slingshot withdrawal pains since my Slingshot has been at the dealer since last Wednesday to have a leaking front angle seal and a warped rear brake rotor replaced. The service rep told me they also wanted to replace either the right rear seal or, hopefully, the troublesome bearing since they were going to have the rear torn apart anyway. The mechanic originally felt I had a warped rear rotor that was causing the clicking noise and showed me how it was making the noise. Unfortunately, I can't remember which of the two (seal or bearing) he was referring to. Hopefully, I'll get it back tomorrow afternoon.

• Opinions on driving it to the dealer 120 miles away?

Can you put it up on jack stands, and rotate the tire by hand to listen more closely? You may be able to narrow it down to either the belt rubbing mightily against the front sprocket, or you can tell it's really the bearing. It might be as simple as the belt being way too tight. With it up on jack stands you can get up close and personal to have a better idea where the noise is originating from.

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

Edited once, last by roadog1aj ().

• I think Roadog is on the right track. Jack it up and spin the wheel. When you raise the back end the belt gets loose. If the noise goes away when it's jacked up, chances are good that your belt is too tight. Might save a trip to the dealer.

• Well, I still don't have my Slingshot back from the dealer. They are trying to get a timeline on the brake sensors as Polaris apparently has no idea when they will be available.
    I too, had a clicking noise coming from the rear of my Slingshot and feared it was the bearing, but my mechanic swears I had a warped rotor and replaced that. Hopefully, I'll find everything silent or whatever passes as normal according to Polaris, when I pick it up Wednesday.

• I have a different sound coming from the rear. A really loud pop when going through the gears under power. It's happened only about a dozen times, but always when excellerating or downshifting. Not a continuous clicking like in these videos but a loud pop. Any ideas?

• The sound in the original video only happened in the video was never able to get to duplicate. The reason I did the video was driving and had all kids of noise coming from the rear end while driving. It sounded like the older cars where the heat shield came loose and heard the rattle of metal. I thought that my skid plate come loose and was dragging, it was so loud I could hear it over my turbo exhaust. It did that twice. 2nd time when I got home I took the video, next day wouldn't do it on the way to the dealer to show them. Then next 1000 miles it was quiet. It will make different sounds and come and go drive it and keep videos of all the different noises.

• I have a different sound coming from the rear. A really loud pop when going through the gears under power. It's happened only about a dozen times, but always when excellerating or downshifting. Not a continuous clicking like in these videos but a loud pop. Any ideas?

That is most likely caused by the drive belt being just a wee but too loose. I had the same loud pop sound when I was heavy on the gas, and going from 1st into 2nd gear. The belt was just loose enough to jump a tooth under the heavier torque. I tightened the drive belt just a bit, and haven't had that popping sound since

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• A month or two after purchase, my 2015 Base made a god-awful scraping/chirping noise in the rear-end. I was backing out of my driveway and my neighbor across the street heard it too. Neither of us found anything and it never made that noise again.
    At one time, my Slingshot's rear-end was making the same clicking sound heard in the video, but that is also the sound my mechanic attributes to the warped rear rotor.
    With any luck, I'll get my Slingshot back today or Thursday, once I can get the Wife to give me a ride to the dealer (100 miles).

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Went and got my Slingshot back from the dealer. The warped rear rotor and front seal on the angle drive ere replaced. Unfortunately, the brake sensors are back ordered. Once they come in, the mechanic will be checking the seal again just in case. Unfortunately, nothing else was done to the rear drive, but replacing the warped rotor seems to have cured the clicking noise I was hearing.

• I would drive it to the dealer. Wouldn't think twice about it.

I bet once you drive it about 5 miles you could pull over and roll it back and forth and it would be much quieter.

Let me know what you find out.

that's what happened with the sounds we were hearing... Parked in the garage, and roll it and it clicked, and popped. Drove it to the dealer and it was as quiet as a church mouse... So I'm taking a stab in the dark here, but cold belt versus warm belt is the variable? Or does the bearing do that

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)