The 700 Club

• Car guys get this build! IMO its a Slingshot still just one withOUT a traction issue! The quad kit has fixed the traction problem and am able to put this 525hp to the ground. I'm in search of traction loss again, The LSA build should be fun. See ya'll much later
    Haters are my marketing team! :thumbsup:

• @Tango What the heck is wrong with it?

Not to derail the 4 wheel debate, it just needs some tweaks to fueling (a bit rich) and to idle (a bit too low).

Now back to the debate. I am on the fence with this one... is the 6 wheeled Hennesey Raptor still a Raptor?

For me, I see it both ways - yes a 4 wheeled Slingshot is still a slingshot just as a 3 wheeled Harley or Honda Goldwing is still a Harley or Goldwing (even though they are technically Autocycles after the conversion, in many states).

On the flipside it's also a valid argument that having 3 wheels is what makes a Slingshot a Slingshot or an Elio an Elio, etc. They were designed to be in this config and many motorcyclists would say trikes "aren't" real bikes.

Having said all that, the Fiero bodykit brings up another point... is the gullwing door Slingshot not a slingshot? Or any of the other body modified ones?

Another interesting point.. is a Cobra replica not a Cobra? Why not? What is more a Cobra - a heavily modified original Shelby Cobra or an exact replica Superformance Cobra? Both? Neither?

I tend to lean that if it starts with a Slingshot frame, it is still a slingshot no matter how many wheels, what engine, what body, what mods. In the end, they are all cool to me and would happily and proudly park next to any of them at a meet and ask how the hell they did that. :D

• Question... this has probably been answered, but can a quad be driven on the street?

It hasn't been "answered" just opinions given and the fall back position that it has yet to be challenged ....

However with most states now adopting the "Autocycle" classification and it specifically stating an Autocycle has three wheels I would bet we are real close to a legal decision .... especially with FL going Autocycle in July .....

..... ninja-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Question... this has probably been answered, but can a quad be driven on the street?

What I would like to know, and it may be different in different States, Is there a point in changing the physical layout of a vehicle where the law would require it to be re registered as something different than it was from the factory? I know that in California there is a special registration process for kit cars if I am not mistake this process is the only one can legally register an Arial Atom for use on the street. I wonder if changing a slingshot to 4 wheels could in some States actually invalidate the classification it received from the factory as a motorcycle. Knowing how messed up California is when it comes to having silly laws it really would not surprise me if they had some law like this on the books.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Exactly my sentiments as well...

And like I said, just my opinion, but logically, if my quest was speed... Start with 4 wheels and then put the baddest mother engine you can fit in it and make it work (V8, Hellcat or Demon, Coyote, Honda, whatever!)...

Now if you're on the quest for 1sts, then do like so many have awesomely done here... @rabtech, @oneshot, @StickerDick, @Tango, @Bob Runman @Slingrazor... Too many to list! Much respect! :thumbsup:

Like I said ..... that it has yet to be challenged and that they have been getting away with it so far is the "answer" you will get .....

I bet that changes soon .....

FL HB 215 Effective July 1, 2018

Reclassifying the SLingshot as an Autocycle and specifically defining its configuration ....

"
    55 (2) AUTOCYCLE.—A three-wheeled motorcycle that has two
    56 wheels in the front and one wheel in the back; is equipped with
    57 a roll cage or roll hoops, a seat belt for each occupant,
    58 antilock brakes, a steering wheel, and seating that does not
    59 require the operator to straddle or sit astride it; and is
    60 manufactured in accordance with the applicable federal
    61 motorcycle safety standards in 49 C.F.R. part 571 by a
    62 manufacturer registered with the National Highway Traffic Safety
    63 Administration. "

PDF

..... nerd-squared

• I have 15 in the USA and this one is going to Canada and we have a zero problems with the law or registration.

Bob, just wondering (not against the 4-wheel conversion as you'res is the best) but have you checked into the insurance issue with that here in Florida? Just like the 4 seater version, I would hate to have one and legally tag it as a slingshot and insure it as one, only to have an accident and be denied coverage based on changing the vehicle from a 2 seater trike to a 4 passenger, or a 3-wheeled trike to a 4-wheeled vehicle. Again, just I'd like to know if anyone has gotten an insurance answer (hopefully in writing) so I would feel a bit more confident to attempt this

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Yes Orangeman - there is also an autocycle bill the house has been looking at text H.R.2381
    If this passed as it is written "autocycles" would also be required to have steering wheel air bags - as it now exists the slingshot would not meet the definition of "autocycle" in this bill

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• What does something like that run price wise?

Per his responses on Instagram $13,700. That may be the price on this build. Maybe the start a little cheaper if you chose different options...

I personally could care less on what anyone "calls" it when a quad kit is installed. All I know is that this type of setup will just kill any Slingshot in the typical stock 3 wheel configuration. This type of setup is not for someone that worries about classifications. To appreciate this, you really need to understand the performance and how it relates to other very fast and expensive vehicles. It is a legitimate go cart with 4 wheels that you can drive legally on the street and will likely embarrass Arial Atoms, KTM X-Bows, and other super cars in performance metrics.

I have one of the fastest, if not the fastest, track Slingshots in the country. I am quite literally out of things to add to it that would make it faster on a track in a 3-wheeled configuration. I like the looks of a 3-wheeled Slingshot better, but you never get the crazy fast acceleration feeling in a Slingshot because rear traction is such an issue. At some point you just hit a performance wall with 3 wheels, to go any faster you would need to add a quad kit.

Props to Bob and making this kit a reality so people can buy it. For around a $50k budget/build, this is a tremendous value compared to other vehicles with this type of performance.

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• Yes Orangeman - there is also an autocycle bill the house has been looking at text H.R.2381
    If this passed as it is written "autocycles" would also be required to have steering wheel air bags - as it now exists the slingshot would not meet the definition of "autocycle" in this bill

That old bill originally proposed by Elio over five years ago has been brought to the floor a half dozen times and never voted on, it will die soon since Elio is out of lobbying money .. it also states an "Autocycle" would have to be front wheel drive ...

The bill I quoted has passed and been signed into law...it goes into effect July 1st ....

..... nerd-squared

• So at the end of the day , the Slingshot brings all of us a smile with every mile and I’m trying to figure out how many cold ones I have to buy for my Slingshot extended family and friends .

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

• Per his responses on Instagram $13,700. That may be the price on this build. Maybe the start a little cheaper if you chose different options...
    I personally could care less on what anyone "calls" it when a quad kit is installed. All I know is that this type of setup will just kill any Slingshot in the typical stock 3 wheel configuration. This type of setup is not for someone that worries about classifications. To appreciate this, you really need to understand the performance and how it relates to other very fast and expensive vehicles. It is a legitimate go cart with 4 wheels that you can drive legally on the street and will likely embarrass Arial Atoms, KTM X-Bows, and other super cars in performance metrics.

I have one of the fastest, if not the fastest, track Slingshots in the country. I am quite literally out of things to add to it that would make it faster on a track in a 3-wheeled configuration. I like the looks of a 3-wheeled Slingshot better, but you never get the crazy fast acceleration feeling in a Slingshot because rear traction is such an issue. At some point you just hit a performance wall with 3 wheels, to go any faster you would need to add a quad kit.

Props to Bob and making this kit a reality so people can buy it. For around a $50k budget/build, this is a tremendous value compared to other vehicles with this type of performance.

Excellent point.

You can now purchase a KTM Xbow in the US but only use it for track days. For about half the price, a 4 wheel Slingahot would be quite the competition and at least as much fun.

• It's a slingshot, it's not a slingshot, Potato, potatoe, tater.... whatever. I'm tired if spinning that rear tire every time I mash on the pedal. This is while at already rolling mind you. As soon as funds allow, I've been planning on Hitting up Mr. Bob. It's been on my list of stuff I want to do for a while now. Why look for more power if we can't use it :| ?
    Oh and NO!!! I WON'T KEEP IT STOCK!! It's no fun that way :D .