Members List and Message Board

• Fellow Members, I just had an idea and was trying it out. I want to always stay in the guidelines of our Website. I have disabled the Threads Slingshotinfo Members List and Slingshotinfo Message Board. i will go back to doing my tech Threads and Video. Sorry want to head off any issues before they become one. I will continue the path I am on with my Section Page. I want to thank all the members that signed up for the members list, we had about 26 members. I will delete the info.

• Fellow Members, I just had an idea and was trying it out. I want to always stay in the guidelines of our Website. I have disabled the Threads Slingshotinfo Members List and Slingshotinfo Message Board. i will go back to doing my tech Threads and Video. Sorry want to head off any issues before they become one. I will continue the path I am on with my Section Page. I want to thank all the members that signed up for the members list, we had about 26 members. I will delete the info.

Not sure what the problem was, don't know, don't care, just know that you are welcome to save the info that I posted and feel free to pass it along to any "members" here that want it. You never know when someone may be traveling this way and need a hand.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• I appreciate it @samowens44.

I can turn on a chat feature on this forum. It can even push messages to a client that is on the cell phone. It will also push them to the forum members when they come online.

I had brought this up a while back and after we tossed the idea around we decided that it would cause members to gather in their on little worlds and they would stop posting on the main forum.

I hope you understand why I don't have that functionality turned on. I am not upset. I just wanted to make sure I listed my reasons against something like private chat.

I will look at the chat feature again and see what it looks like and how it can be used effectively.

• I want to thank all the folks that signed up on the Members List I created. I wanted to produce a place for members that did not mind sharing their contact info for other to see for contacting one another and one place to see where folks live to find someone close enough to ride with. I was looking at bring our members closer. I was going to group the members into states and cities for quick view. We have no way of seeing who is close to us in one place. I wanted to create Group Rides for members within areas, to bring members closer. This is what I am all about, bring people together. With SSITS, I was trying to give members a way of communicating with each other for what @Bill Martin was trying to do with his idea of Greet and Meet. I made the list open for all to complete the contact data themselves. All of the folks that signed up did not mind sharing info. That is what I stated, that other could see it. 26 members came quickly and told me it was a good idea. A members List with contact info like a directory is great way to communicate at big events to find one another and plan group get together.

I will leave it to the administrators to see if they want a Members Directory Page that is part of our Website. I feel @ericastar76 could be the right person to construct it as part of our website. It could be secure and an easy entry system for members to share contact infor in one place. This way everyone could get what they want. Thanks for listening

Now for the Message Board I created. The intent was to draw folks together for discussions of back and forth type quick communications. My Message Board was a real time place to communicate. As many members could type and view at the same time. Totally different than just a chat line. I have a real time place to discuss something that a few people want to talk about. Like planning a meeting at SSITS. Anyway, it is totally new way of discussing one thought at the same time without waiting on posting to happen. It was meant to bring our members together, just another tool to do it. A chat line is still posting and waiting where everything slides down. Mine keeps you right in one place to type and view all at the same time. The people that tried it liked it. If you didn't try it, then you are unaware of what I am talking about. It was not meant for people to go and group together. All members can go and be on the message board and view what the discussion is all about. If they want to comment, they can grab a line, enter ID and start talking with the discussion. All real time. I think it is beyond fantastic it is totally new, almost like talking together.

• I appreciate it @samowens44.

I can turn on a chat feature on this forum. It can even push messages to a client that is on the cell phone. It will also push them to the forum members when they come online.

I had brought this up a while back and after we tossed the idea around we decided that it would cause members to gather in their on little worlds and they would stop posting on the main forum

Peanut gallery here. I agree with Rab. I've seen a forum die off when the posting rate went away because people were using the "instant chat" feature. People were sharing ideas and such in the chat, which was unsearchable and non-archivable, so there was no history of solutions and great ideas to share.

As for the member list...isn't that what the map is for? Or is the member list a different animal?

• I hope the members that tried the Message Board would comment of their thoughts about it, to let the members know what you think of the merits of the idea. I don't want a chat line myself, as that is not what I was creating. I want real time communications for our members. @StickerDick and his new Fender is an example of what this area would be better for discussion. Real time questions and answer could be held with all members watching and jumping in. no 98 pages to go through to see what everyone is saying. I may be onto a new way to hold our discussion in a place without being displayed in pages. I wished all the folks that think it is a bad idea would have tried it. I could post the Message Board here, If the Administrators will allow me to post. Then all members could go and try it, to see how it can be of value to our group. I think it would bring us together.

• Actually, my thread for the Slingshotinfo Message Board came up under searching the internet. So more new people would be drawn to the idea. I want it clear I am not talking of group chat, I am talking about a new way for our discussions of a hot topic to not end up with 288 pages. It could be a lot more fun and draw a lot of folks to the discussion. Just state, lets take this to the Message Board. Now I think there are members using Ipads and Iphones that were not able to do the edit on the message board or the Members list. The reason you couldn't do it is that you need to download the Google Doc App to be able to go to edit mode.

• I hope the members that tried the Message Board would comment of their thoughts about it, to let the members know what you think of the merits of the idea. I don't want a chat line myself, as that is not what I was creating. I want real time communications for our members. @StickerDick and his new Fender is an example of what this area would be better for discussion. Real time questions and answer could be held with all members watching and jumping in. no 98 pages to go through to see what everyone is saying. I may be onto a new way to hold our discussion in a place without being displayed in pages. I wished all the folks that think it is a bad idea would have tried it. I could post the Message Board here, If the Administrators will allow me to post. Then all members could go and try it, to see how it can be of value to our group. I think it would bring us together.

What good is it to others a month down the road if it is unsearchable and non-archivable?

Not casting stones, just looking to understand.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Peanut gallery here. I agree with Rab. I've seen a forum die off when the posting rate went away because people were using the "instant chat" feature. People were sharing ideas and such in the chat, which was unsearchable and non-archivable, so there was no history of solutions and great ideas to share.
    As for the member list...isn't that what the map is for? Or is the member list a different animal?

I would have to agree with you @KayTwo on what can happen to a forum once it is splintered.
    @samowens44, your idea of a message board has its merits in the correct environment.
    I find the organization of hearding the cats to be a great way to proved the social networking and technical information in a fun to use way. When I see an idea or topic I am interested in, I like to be able to go back through the history of it to underdtand how it evolved. If I have a question I can easily post it or PM one or a group with great results. If it has already been discussed, someone usually will point me in that direction.

Rarely do I go anywhere without my phone which gets updates through my gmail account when someone PMs me or mentions me in a post. Within my household we have to be connected through various message boards for my children. This becomes a pain sometimes because you lose track of the information; did I see it in a text, email, or one of the message boards? I like the ability to have everything Slingshot in one place.
    Sam's idea is a good one, but lets use the chat function to facilitate it.
    Question, what percentage on the forum have actually taken the time to update the map and list their location in their profile? If more members would take that step it would create an easier way to contact those around you for rides or help.
    @rabtech maybe it's time to make a hard push for members to update their location to improve the forum's function.
    Take this with a grain of salt because it is just one opinion among others.

• I did find the User Map and have updated my location, I will promote it right now. Thanks for mentioning the User Map @Slingrazor. Great for showing locations. I am in the center of the map for this display. Right in the Northeast Georgia Mountains. I encourage all to update the map now.

• I did find the User Map and have updated my location, I will promote it right now. Thanks for mentioning the User Map @Slingrazor. Great for showing locations. I am in the center of the map for this display. Right in the Northeast Georgia Mountains. I encourage all to update the map now.

On the map site it is nice to see where everyone is from,but if you have to get in contact with someone in case you need help on the road, you don’t have their phone number there.

Same user map I mentioned in my comment above. We've been making pleas for people to use it for two years. Hope you get a better result than others.

@rabtech, @dutt63 makes a good point. Any way to attach cell numbers to peoples profiles or map locations, for those who choose?

• On the map site it is nice to see where everyone is from,but if you have to get in contact with someone in case you need help on the road, you don’t have their phone number there.

Now the user map could be a great place to have our contact info along with where we live. I could go with that, I will be on a campange to promote the user map. I see a tutorial coming up in HD 4k video. Some people may not know how to do it. That is where i come in. Now if @rabtech will see if cell numbers can be entered for the folks that don't mine sharing. I use my Google Voice number, it is a safe way to share your cell number. We all have our assignments, now lets ralley the troops.