FDA Deeming Regulations on E-cigarettes released today

• I know there are a number of vapers on this forum and many of you have been able to get off of the nasty cigarette habit because of e-cigarettes. If you want to continue to vape, using your favorite paraphernalia and juices you had better take a look at the links below and get involved! Under the new FDA regulations released today all companies manufacturing e-cigs and juices would have to apply to the FDA for approval of their products. I have heard the cost could be $300,000 to $1 million dollars per device or flavor of juice and could take up to three years for approval. If they have not applied for approval within 90 days of the adoption of the regulations, they will not be able to sell their products during the approval process! This new regulation will effectively put most manufactures out of business. The only companies able to jump through the hoops and pay the bucks will be BIG TOBACCO and they will control the e-cig market. This is not to mention the taxes that our government will place on our products!

The new regulation just came out today and is several hundred pages long. Obviously I have not read it. Some of the above information may not be 100% correct, but I guarantee you it will have a serious impact on our vaping! So please, if you care, check out the links below and let your representatives know how you feel and maybe even how e-cigs helped you break your cigarette habit and improved your health.

Keep clam and Vape on brothers and sisters!

http://sfata.org/category/sfata-blog/

http://tobaccoanalysis.blogspo…ming-regulations-are.html

http://blog.casaa.org/2016/05/…ions-release-and.html?m=1

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Ben Franklin)

2002 FatBoy FLSTF
    2016 Polaris Slingshot

• I will throw my 2cents out on this...the biggest problem is the kids using these....12, 13 yo etc...nicotine is addictive...lots of the "juice" have varying levels of nicotine...there is nothing keeping these young kids from purchasing and using...it is a problem

• Funny how all this works. The early adopters that struck it rich in the early gold rush of vaping are also hoping for fda regulation. It would crush all the "bathtub mixers" of juice leaving the big players in power. Just another way your helpful government helps to squelch competition!!

• I will throw my 2cents out on this...the biggest problem is the kids using these....12, 13 yo etc...nicotine is addictive...lots of the "juice" have varying levels of nicotine...there is nothing keeping these young kids from purchasing and using...it is a problem

I have no problem with sensible regulations on e-cigs, putting an age limit, that's sensible. But if you take the time to see what the government is really doing with these regulations, it's a crime. They don't really give a rats ass about anybody's health, it's all about the money.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Ben Franklin)

2002 FatBoy FLSTF
    2016 Polaris Slingshot

• Unfortunately the " bathtub mixers" and even the big players are throwing all kinds of stuff that doesn't play well with the respiratory system...increase in popcorn lung, asthma etc...younger kids don't have fully developed systems making them more likely to have long term effects...

• I see it from a medical point of view...in my world as an adult you are responsible for your decision...kids now that is a totally different story....now do we want to get into the genetic mutations conversation...
    Night guys got to get up early!!!

• Unfortunately the " bathtub mixers" and even the big players are throwing all kinds of stuff that doesn't play well with the respiratory system...increase in popcorn lung, asthma etc...younger kids don't have fully developed systems making them more likely to have long term effects...

I agree whole heartedly. The popcorn lung issue may be a tad overblown considering regular cigarettes contain diacetyl. Even so it shouldn't be allowed in the liquid. That being said with our loving government involved diacetyl is still considered safe by the fda and is still present in tons of different products that are fda approved.

• I agree whole heartedly. The popcorn lung issue may be a tad overblown considering regular cigarettes contain diacetyl. Even so it shouldn't be allowed in the liquid. That being said with our loving government involved diacetyl is still considered safe by the fda and is still present in tons of different products that are fda approved.

True but most of them aren't cherry coke or bubblegum flavored

• Leading e-cig researcher Dr. Konstantinos Farsalinos

“Although I agree that we should know if e-liquids contain diacetyl and acetyl propionyl, I must note that the study has missed some very important points. One is the assessment of the levels found in their samples. The levels presented in Figure 2 are quite low, much lower that what we found in our study. In many cases, levels of these compounds are absolutely minimal, and it is NOT expected to raise any concerns about human health effects. Additionaly, the authors FAILED to mention the presence of these compounds in tobacco cigarette smoke. This omission creates the impression that e-cigarettes are exposing users to a new chemical hazard, while in reality their exposure will be much lower compared to smoking.”
    [/quote]“tobacco cigarette smoke contains high levels of diacetyl and acetyl propionyl, on average 100 and 10 times higher,”
    [/quote]“the article is creating false impressions and exaggerates the potential risk from diacetyl and acetyl propionyl exposure through e-cigarettes. They failed to mention that these chemicals are present in tobacco cigarette smoke and violated a classical toxicological principle that the amount determines the toxicity and the risk.”
    [/quote]

2002 FatBoy FLSTF
    2016 Polaris Slingshot

• Leading e-cig researcher Dr. Konstantinos Farsalinos

“Although I agree that we should know if e-liquids contain diacetyl and acetyl propionyl, I must note that the study has missed some very important points. One is the assessment of the levels found in their samples. The levels presented in Figure 2 are quite low, much lower that what we found in our study. In many cases, levels of these compounds are absolutely minimal, and it is NOT expected to raise any concerns about human health effects. Additionaly, the authors FAILED to mention the presence of these compounds in tobacco cigarette smoke. This omission creates the impression that e-cigarettes are exposing users to a new chemical hazard, while in reality their exposure will be much lower compared to smoking.”

“tobacco cigarette smoke contains high levels of diacetyl and acetyl propionyl, on average 100 and 10 times higher,”
    [/quote]“the article is creating false impressions and exaggerates the potential risk from diacetyl and acetyl propionyl exposure through e-cigarettes. They failed to mention that these chemicals are present in tobacco cigarette smoke and violated a classical toxicological principle that the amount determines the toxicity and the risk.”
    [/quote][/quote]
    Again my big issue is the appeal/marketing towards kids....their organs are not fully developed. The damage sustained is a real problem. This opens the door for genetic mutations. We could also go down the nicotine addiction issue with these younguns!
    The Greek physician you are quoting has some valid points like the byproducts of tobacco when heat is applied...but he may have a bias

I'm not finding any affiliation with American Lung Association or the likes but I will have better resources at work.

• The Greek physician you are quoting has some valid points like the byproducts of tobacco when heat is applied...but he may have a bias

Agreed, he is an advocate for e-cigs, however I did read that he became an advocate because of his research into both cigarettes and e-cigs. I don't disagree with you @DKF Texas, about underage vaping and sensible regulations. For us old farts that have been smoking cigarettes for most of our lives e-cigs have been a real blessing. What ticks me off is all the restrictive BS added to the FDA reg that drives up prices and hands the business over to BIG TOBACCO most likely because they stuffed a bunch of money into someone's pockets.

2002 FatBoy FLSTF
    2016 Polaris Slingshot

• Agreed, he is an advocate for e-cigs, however I did read that he became an advocate because of his research into both cigarettes and e-cigs. I don't disagree with you @DKF Texas, about underage vaping and sensible regulations. For us old farts that have been smoking cigarettes for most of our lives e-cigs have been a real blessing. What ticks me off is all the restrictive BS added to the FDA reg that drives up prices and hands the business over to BIG TOBACCO most likely because they stuffed a bunch of money into someone's pockets.

Just to poke....maybe he got paid too...Greece is broke

• Just to poke....maybe he got paid too...Greece is broke

Hahaha at least you can rest assured he's not a government agent!

I wish that we could live our lives basking in the warm glow of absolute truths, or blissfully wallow in the silky mud of encompassing ignorance. All these questionable studies and overblown news headlines terrify me.

• Don't know for sure about health effects but one thing I do know for sure .... The government saw another HUGE cash cow they were not cashing in on. That is their "concern" for the public safety - more money for them to squander!!

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• [/quote]Again my big issue is the appeal/marketing towards kids....their organs are not fully developed. The damage sustained is a real problem. This opens the door for genetic mutations. We could also go down the nicotine addiction issue with these younguns!
    The Greek physician you are quoting has some valid points like the byproducts of tobacco when heat is applied...but he may have a bias

I'm not finding any affiliation with American Lung Association or the likes but I will have better resources at work.[/quote]

And you think the American Lung Association isn't biased?
    The FDA isn't biased?
    The anti-smokers aren't biased?
    E-cigs have been tested and proven to be 95% LESS HARMFUL (NOT HARMLESS) than cigarettes.
    So i would rather see kids using a ecig over a tobacco cigarette any day of the week.
    And every website i go to, or every store i go to has 18 or over to buy signage or click here if under 18.
    It is not a perfect way to ban under 18's, but then there is supposed to be parenting being done too.
    So i suppose it is the guns fault when a 16 year old kills someone, LOL
    So if we make a product that increases chances of surviving a plane crash by 95%, do you think the government would put it out of business?
    If we invented a product that makes surviving a car crash 95% better would the government outlaw it's use?
    They made seatbelts mandatory by law, not illegal or so expensive that no one can make them.
    What the FDA just did is a perfect example of government stupidity and ignorance at it's best.

• No I just work at the #1 cancer center in the country, some say the world... I trust our studies. I have been there for 20+years...I just hate to see BS studies put out there prematurely...we don't have all the answers but there is no such legitimate study out there. Neither the CDC or FDA back the 95% claim....however the studies that do have been funded by the companies that own them....guess who that is RJ Reynolds, Altria and Lorillard... The big 3 of big tobacco...
    Back to my original point...Nicotine dependence...addiction whichever term you choose. The younger you start the harder it is to quit.
    Do what you wish to yourself as an adult God knows I have!
    By the way I am a lifetime NRA member...

• No I just work at the #1 cancer center in the country, some say the world... I trust our studies. I have been there for 20+years...I just hate to see BS studies put out there prematurely...we don't have all the answers but there is no such legitimate study out there. Neither the CDC or FDA back the 95% claim....however the studies that do have been funded by the companies that own them....guess who that is RJ Reynolds, Altria and Lorillard... The big 3 of big tobacco...
    Back to my original point...Nicotine dependence...addiction whichever term you choose. The younger you start the harder it is to quit.
    Do what you wish to yourself as an adult God knows I have!
    By the way I am a lifetime NRA member...

Ok, since you work for the #1 cancer center in the world, and you trust their studies.........
    Has ANY of their studies shown that electronic cigarettes are AS harmful, or MORE harmful than a traditional tobacco cigarette?
    And please post a link to the study, i would like to read it.
    Because i have read plenty of studies that say they are a hell of a lot less harmful than cigarettes.
    And i have read plenty of studies that tout DETECTABLE levels of this or that, but way on down the study they finally have to admit that DETECTABLE means it is so low that it can not be accurately measured, which means by default that the levels are greatly lower than the detectable levels the FDA report are even "cause for concern" and lower than even their "Nicotrol inhaler" test results.
    I just can't figure out why the FDA wants to stamp out ecigs when they are a proven BETTER ALTERNATIVE to traditional cigarettes, would improve the health and life of anyone that smokes cigarettes, and is still safer for teens to use than cigarettes, which we all know they would be using if the ecig was not available.
    I am pretty sure ecigs are safer to use than anything else a teen can get a hold of like alcohol, weed, crack, spice, guns, knives, automobiles, breathing air next to a running auto, and your worried about ecigs.
    And BTW, Nicotine does not cause cancer. So no worries there, but i have heard cigarettes might. :rolleyes:
    I would be comfortable saying that drinking a energy drink is more harmful than inhaling nicotine. they both constrict blood vessels, increase heart rate, but nicotine is not loaded with chemicals and sugars.
    But that is just my opinion, and i don't have some fancy smanchy cancer center backing me up, even though i have supplied pure liquid nicotine to some for testing purposes (research), LOL :thumbsup:
    The only response i ever got from them was they had to smell it to make sure i didn't send them water because it was so clear and clean.