seat belt replacement

• 99 % of the time I do not wear a seat belt anyway in or on car, motorcycle or Slingshot. Have you ever had a seat belt hanging across your pace maker/jump start?

Nope, but I did witness a fellow with severe spinal nerve problems wearing an electrical stimulator break into a sweat on a manufacturing line...

His stimulator turned into a tazer and he dropped to the floor, writhing like a worm on hot pavement, stuttering out as best he could... Pull the plug! Pull the plug!

Jerked the leads and after a few minutes, he finally caught his breath. First words out of his mouth... "Anybody get that on video?"

Everybody damn near pissed themselves!

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Just read Polaris has a recall on seat belts because of connecting possible failure.

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

I believe the recall has to do with the seat frames and missing welds and not the seat belt itself. The steel cable that holds the seat belt buckle bolts to the side of the seat frame so that may be why they are mentioned in the recall

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Have you stopped to question why you did not get a single positive response to this question?
    Bill

I got several Bill. Some people actually answered the question instead of presuming they should give safety advise - I would almost bet that some of those who told me that I was ill advised to only use a lap belt don't themselves wear a helmet.

Which do you think is more likely to fail under the stress of impact. A non federally approved retracting three point harness like what came in my slingshot or a federally approved non retracting lap belt like is used on aircraft?

as a side note my new federally approved lap belt should arrive today

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• You have to understand Bill @edwardaneal. His modus operandi is to get on the forums dedicated to sharing info and ideas on modifying our equipment then question and disrespect everything he does not have, or do, which is basically every single mod. If he doesn't do it, no one should. Why he spends the time is a mystery to me. I thought when he moved to this forum he was starting to go with the flow. Guess I was wrong. I personally don't mind the seatbelt, but good for you coming up with an option that is suitable for you. That's what it's all about and don't let one dark cloud rain on your parade!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I personally don't mind the seatbelt, but good for you coming up with an option that is suitable for you. That's what it's all about and don't let one dark cloud rain on your parade!

For those who are interested this is the place where I found the belt that I ordered Seat belts Plus

They have a huge selection including 3 point harnesses that would probably be a perfect match to replace the stock belts that come in our Slingshots. and they also have full race harnesses and every other type of belt

The reason I mention this is because their belts are all available it a huge variety of colors so if you have a yellow Sling or blue or red - you could replace your stock belts or racing harness with color coordinated belts

Considering the degree to which people like to mod their ride I thought some here might like the option of having different color belts than stock

• new belt added, I now have both the factor three point with shoulder harness when I want it and I also have a lap belt that uses the same factory buckel for crusing around town on those 110 degree and hotter summer days - - in hind sight I should have ordered the belt in red - - oh well maybe next time

• new belt added, I now have both the factor three point with shoulder harness when I want it and I also have a lap belt that uses the same factory buckel for crusing around town on those 110 degree and hotter summer days - - in hind sight I should have ordered the belt in red - - oh well maybe next time

Now it's even more like a Rollercoaster! :thumbsup:

• @edwardaneal Thanks for posing this, and then following up with what you added and where you got them.

It is to each their own... no one has to do it my way or they are wrong.

I pulled my factory seatbelt connector out, put in the harness bars and 4 point harness in. I would have left the factory in, but couldn't get them to mount simultaneously . Some days I wish I hadn't put them because the harness is not as easy to use and I can't figure out how to get it out of the way so I can go without it. Other days, I'm glad they are there as the g-force going around the corner threatens to toss me out! I see the point of the lap belt only for ease of use. If I wanted safe, I'd have bought a Toyota Camry.

Alpha Supercharger is still spinning fine... it gets rode hard, every time.

• Thank you Texas

• RJS Latch & Link Harness, 3" Sub Belt, 72" Shoulder Harness

Anyone has any comments on their 5 point harness(linked above) it seems to be extremely well priced but until today I had not heard about these guys before.

They say all of their belts are tested in America and meet federal motor vehicle safety standards and they are made in the USA. the racing harnesses are also tested and SFI rated

• Anyone can open a website and claim to sell tickets to the moon, it doesn't make it true.

They also claim to have been in business for 20+ years but every search online shows them showing up out of nowhere on 2012 and nothing but bad reviews, albeit the people writing the reviews were highly incoherent and downright dumb(based on their post).

That is the reason why I am asking here where there are people who's opinion can be counted on if anyone has had any experience with their 5p harness.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• You are correct and I am not in anyway trying to say the racing belts they sell are any good.

Seat belts plus is just a vendor for the harnesses you are looking at the racing harnesses they sell are made by RJS Racing and Crow Enterprises - - I am sure you have already done this, but for others interested here are links to their respective sites

RJS Racing

Crow Enterprises

As to whether these belts are good or not I have no personal experience, but I would imagine if they say their products are certified by a sanctioning body as they do that this should not be too hard to verify

• @edwardaneal Thanks for posing this, and then following up with what you added and where you got them.

I pulled my factory seatbelt connector out, put in the harness bars and 4 point harness in. I would have left the factory in, but couldn't get them to mount simultaneously . Some days I wish I hadn't put them because the harness is not as easy to use and I can't figure out how to get it out of the way so I can go without it. Other days, I'm glad they are there as the g-force going around the corner threatens to toss me out! I see the point of the lap belt only for ease of use. If I wanted safe, I'd have bought a Toyota Camry.

Just out of curiosity when you put in the 4 point harnesses where did you mount the outboard side of the lap portion of the belts? The stock buckle side mounts to the side of the seat frame which does not seem to me like a good mounting point for a 4 point.

One way would be to go with a 5 point harness with a duck bill latch. Leave out the submarine strap. If you don’t want the shoulder straps just put them behind the seat and latch the lap belt. Hard charging? Pull the shoulder harness out from behind the seat back, latch up and go racing. Use to do it all the time in my ‘66 Midget. Only used the harness for gymkhanas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• Just out of curiosity when you put in the 4 point harnesses where did you mount the outboard side of the lap portion of the belts? The stock buckle side mounts to the side of the seat frame which does not seem to me like a good mounting point for a 4 point.

Yes, I pulled the stock buckle off and mounted it there.

Alpha Supercharger is still spinning fine... it gets rode hard, every time.