SS pulling a trailer

• So I am aware the Sling Shot was not designed to pull a trailer, but I was just wondering if any of you have tried pulling a small trailer behind you? I have a small 16' jon boat and started thinking that maybe the SS could pull it short distances.

• I've towed a Lesure Lite camper about 12000 miles including thru the desert. The camper and cargo prolly weighs in at 600 lb. The cargo for the most part is carried in a basket carrier mounted to the aftermarket top that I have. The only way I know I'm towing is the mpg goes way down especially on the super slabs.

Also meant to mention the Rivco hitch mounts to the frame. If you use the ones that mounts directly to the trail arm you will have much more vibration on your trailer. The hitch comes with plug and play harness.

• Over 2700 miles pulling my Escapade Motorcycle Cargo Trailer with Alpha's hitch on mine with zero issues. Kind of forgot it was back there and my Escapade has a air ride trailing arm suspension, so no vibrations observed. I felt like it added some stability in the rain/wet roads, but I still slowed down and pulled over and waited in the heavy down pour when water was pooling.

Tongue weight is big, while I could stand on my Alpha hitch and it seems solid and I'm 300 lbs, it's still unsprung weight on that swing arm. I end up with about 50lbs of tongue weight with my trailer loaded last fall. About 20 lbs more than I'd like, but that's how my trailer loads out as I have a small cooler on the tongue in front of the trailer for cold refreshments on the road. As far as the hitches I've seen for a standard motorcycle type cargo trailer, I like and prefer Alpha's, if I pulled anything bigger, I'd probably go with Wicked as it mounts to the frame. I'm not crazy about the drop needed using a Wicked, but the others like the Rivco or Bushtec, it's too unappealing to me. Looks count for something I guess, but that's just me.

• So I am aware the Sling Shot was not designed to pull a trailer, but I was just wondering if any of you have tried pulling a small trailer behind you? I have a small 16' jon boat and started thinking that maybe the SS could pull it short distances.

I've been pulling my jet ski and various other trailers while beta testing my hitch system. I have had no issues pulling 800+ lbs, with about 70 lbs tongue weight. I've pulled up and down hill, in town, and on the freeways for over 700 miles. The SlingShot is a pulling machine! No matter which hitch you decide to get, you should have no problem pulling your jon boat.

• I pulled this teardrop trailer for over 2000 miles on my honeymoon, towed amazing using the Wycked hitch and gooseneck
    Trailer is 550 lbs. dry...had 200 lbs. in gear.
    The slingshot had plenty of power and worked well in extreme heat and through mountain passes
    I used a fish scale to measure the tongue weight and pack smart and drive smart

• I pulled this teardrop trailer for over 2000 miles on my honeymoon, towed amazing using the Wycked hitch and gooseneck
    The slingshot had plenty of power and worked well in extreme heat and through mountain passes

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for posting right away! Congrats on the recent marriage! The Wycked hitch seems to be the best hitch out there for the Sling. That's a nice looking trailer. Nice to see another Fast Orange Slingshot - love mine...

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

Looks pretty cool your setup. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Do not resent growing old. Many are denied.... The Privilege :REDSS: :SUPERCHARGERSS: : :HEADERSS: : :COILOVERSS: Wycked hitch

• Love my Wycked Hitch also. Pulled small cargo trailer to Grand Canyon and back with no issues at all. I use the drop hitch instead of the goose neck adaptor. I never knew the trailer was back there at all. Will have trailer and hitch at the rally in Arkansas next week if anyone wants to look at it.

Alpha Supercharger is still spinning fine... it gets rode hard, every time.

• @RichArlt, what can you tell us about that trailer? Empty weight, full weight, tongue weight when loaded? How did it feel behind the Slingshot?

From a previous post about my custom trailer. (I bought a Harbor Freight frame, built a new custom axle for it, and put the steel/aluminum body on it). Hope this answers your question @KayTwo! I could tell it was back there, especially when hard braking, but I had no issues!

The post title was; "Boy Does the SS Pull a Trailer!"

Sep 1st 2016+11 (click on this link for the brief video)
    1800+ miles, 20.8 mpg, 65lbs tongue wt. 1087 lb. trailer average weight (I tested it heavy!).

Edited 2 times, last by RichArlt: Added video and details ().

• Harleyujoe I tow a Leesure Lite camper, I've had no problems hrdroplaning with or without the camper but on occasion when I pullout for a 90° turn the camper has made the rear wheel break loose with little acceleration. Pucker factor takes over then lol. I would think hydroplaning would be worse if it happens while towing, no brakes on trailer its just pushing you.....my 2.

• Harleyujoe I tow a Leesure Lite camper, I've had no problems hrdroplaning with or without the camper but on occasion when I pullout for a 90° turn the camper has made the rear wheel break loose with little acceleration. Pucker factor takes over then lol. I would think hydroplaning would be worse if it happens while towing, no brakes on trailer its just pushing you.....my 2.

One of my buddies hydroplaned and wrecked while towing a light weight trailer, I think he's elaborated on that in the forums. From my research, if you feel your rear wheel break loose and hydroplane, do not hit the brakes as that can put you into an immediate spin. Added weight over the back tire (tongue weight) and a good tracking trailer in tow can actually help you ride out a hydroplaning rear wheel if you lay off the brakes. I've practice this in the snow and slush last winter with my jet ski in tow (in a parking lot of course). I think I saw this topic in the new SS owners manual?

If you're caught in standing water, drive under 35 mph, pull over when it's safe and let the puddles clear......Just my 3 cents worth.