Dash cameras

• One of the 6 (overall) track camera ideas I had was to create 2 mounting assemblies between the top and bottom of each roll bar (I feel that spot had the best potential for wide angle and would be better for displacing air off the lens; mount angle would focus to a distance of 800-2500ft; recessing the camera toward the rear of each mount to reduce sun flare). I figure a more sturdy (always on/powered) mount would work best, complete with a mic facing backwards to capture the sound of the exhaust (that is, for those who have them out the back of the SS). Each roll bar could be fitted (one forward facing and one rear).

Seeing that both the Virb and GoPro have different mounts and plug inserts... I have only been draft the design for the Virb. I am only 2 major pieces away from completing the "equipment" part of our workshop. Then, I need to build out my cleat wall to get all the crap that is laying around everywhere in the shop... off the floor! :S

If this is of interest to everyone, I may make it my first "official" project. To be fair, I already planned on making it... just wasn't the first item on the agenda. But hey, this is the world of SS ~> THERE ARE NO RULES!!! :thumbsup:

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• I personally may not ever mount a camera on my SS but when the conversation came up you were the first one that I thought of for designing and making the mount. It just sounded like something that might be right in your wheelhouse. I'd like to see you be successful early on in making equipment that is desired by the masses! Looks like you are prepared to knock this one out of the park.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• I like the idea of this, but was looking into molding something into the piece between the seats. I think this area would allow for easier wire concealment, but not sure how good it would look. I think a slim profile housing would allow for it to have a more factory look. With this design I am also looking at utilizing a pin hole hd camera w/ audio and remote recording to a module possibly located in the glove box? This is all brainstorming...thoughts?

Semper Fi

"Will Work for MODs!"

• I like the idea of this, but was looking into molding something into the piece between the seats. I think this area would allow for easier wire concealment, but not sure how good it would look. I think a slim profile housing would allow for it to have a more factory look. With this design I am also looking at utilizing a pin hole hd camera w/ audio and remote recording to a module possibly located in the glove box? This is all brainstorming...thoughts?

Not sure... but I worry the camera line-of-sight could be obstructed from that location depending on the windscreen size and shoulders/helmets in turns (the body shifts a lot more than we think in the twists). Mounting it above the helmet line gives a wide-angle/adjustable view. Hiding wires to look factory is not at all hard from the roll bars (I plan fabricating a wire housing to run down the underneath part and fit between the plastics at the seam).

Another option is placement at the front headlight assembly... I "kinda" eluded to it here: es-designworks.com

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• Not sure... but I worry the camera line-of-sight could be obstructed from that location depending on the windscreen size and shoulders/helmets in turns (the body shifts a lot more than we think in the twists). Mounting it above the helmet line gives a wide-angle/adjustable view. Hiding wires to look factory is not at all hard from the roll bars (I plan fabricating a wire housing to run down the underneath part and fit between the plastics at the seam).
    Another option is placement at the front headlight assembly... I "kinda" eluded to it here: es-designworks.com

the only problem with cameras located forward of the wind screen are big fat juicy bugs
    I have a few hours of footage that are lets say - messy

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Not sure... but I worry the camera line-of-sight could be obstructed from that location depending on the windscreen size and shoulders/helmets in turns (the body shifts a lot more than we think in the twists). Mounting it above the helmet line gives a wide-angle/adjustable view. Hiding wires to look factory is not at all hard from the roll bars (I plan fabricating a wire housing to run down the underneath part and fit between the plastics at the seam).

I took that aspect into consideration also which is why I wasn't sure about direct placement in that area as far as height.

Semper Fi

"Will Work for MODs!"