racks and wing

• Wow! I likey! To be honest I haven't been a huge fan of the wings. I do think they add a cool factor but most are just too big for the Sling in my opinion. They tend to take over the rear and give it a top heavy look, again, in my opinion. Yours looks sleek and proportional up there and I'm definitely impressed with your mounting system that allows you to still use the racks for cargo. Outstanding job and uber cool mod!

Did you have to modify or fab anything to get that on the edges of the racks? I'm sure someone will ask for a source for the wing. For those guys, I know where you can get the racks... ;):thumbup:

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• @SlingLow no fab was done to the racks it just so happen to work out that way. the only thing I had to do was drill 4 1/4" holes to bolt the wing to the racks. at first K didnt know if I would like the wing because it was a smaller one but I have to agree with you , its just right and not too overwhelming. here is the wing I orderd

• @SlingLow no fab was done to the racks it just so happen to work out that way. the only thing I had to do was drill 4 1/4" holes to bolt the wing to the racks. at first K didnt know if I would like the wing because it was a smaller one but I have to agree with you , its just right and not too overwhelming. here is the wing I orderd

Now that I like and easy to install

• looks nice but my question would be about downforce - if the wing is adjusted properly to provide downforce are the racks ridged enough to transfer the downforce to the rear of the sling or will they flex?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• the racks are made of 1/4" thick plate steel and are very strong.I think they will be ok, the wing is more or less for looks anyway.

I dunno about that. The location of your wing looks like it'll actually work the way it's supposed to. The rack should handle it though.

• I'm so disappointed. I saw the title of this thread and thought that finally someone was going to talk about Wing House or Hooters. Two of the best places for Wings and Racks. Oh well, better go take another nap

Awww... Don’t want you to be disappointed, Phil, so here’s a hot Hooters gal for ya’...

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• looks nice but my question would be about downforce - if the wing is adjusted properly to provide downforce are the racks ridged enough to transfer the downforce to the rear of the sling or will they flex?

Since downforce won't kick in until around 150 mph I think they're good. At 150+ mph I would expect the $37.50 wing to flex before these racks. Just my theory. You'll need to keep the Hooters gal off them though. No warranty will cover that!

• Since downforce won't kick in until around 150 mph I think they're good. At 150+ mph I would expect the $37.50 wing to flex before these racks. Just my theory. You'll need to keep the Hooters gal off them though. No warranty will cover that!

Are you saying that all of these airfoil type wings that I see people put on their slingshots are purely cosmetic?

• Are you saying that all of these airfoil type wings that I see people put on their slingshots are purely cosmetic?

I'm not an expert and there are many opinions on this. A general consensus is that they do nothing below 60-80 mph. The actual downforce created depends on many factors including size, angle and mounting location. In general, wings mounted to the body will be less effective than those mounted to the rear frame, or subframe. To maximize downforce, a combination of splitters, canards, diffusers, spoilers, nose-cones, air-boxes, wings, endplates, and underbody pans are used along with an aerodynamic design. Simply bolting on a wing has minimal effect, especially if it is not adjustable, in which case wind tunnel testing would be needed to maximize the downforce effect. They also create drag which can reduce top speed with the trade-off being downforce at high speeds.

So yes, they are mostly cosmetic although 'some' downforce can be created. Now let the experts ring in with a qualified opinion.

• I'm not an expert and there are many opinions on this. A general consensus is that they do nothing below 60-80 mph. The actual downforce created depends on many factors including size, angle and mounting location. In general, wings mounted to the body will be less effective than those mounted to the rear frame, or subframe. To maximize downforce, a combination of splitters, canards, diffusers, spoilers, nose-cones, air-boxes, wings, endplates, and underbody pans are used along with an aerodynamic design. Simply bolting on a wing has minimal effect, especially if it is not adjustable, in which case wind tunnel testing would be needed to maximize the downforce effect. They also create drag which can reduce top speed with the trade-off being downforce at high speeds.
    So yes, they are mostly cosmetic although 'some' downforce can be created. Now let the experts ring in with a qualified opinion.

Good to know - I really like the way the twist dynamic 57" carbon fiber wing looks, but I am not paying that kind of money if it doesnt actually provide a worthwhile improvement in traction