An California Insurance story

• Are you in a state that requires a special license or endorsement to ride a motorcycle, but it is not required for the Slingshot? if so you might find this interesting and helpful

As you may know I live in California. When I got my Slingshot last April one of the first things I did was call my insurance broker to get the thing insured. In the process She asked me several questions including if I had a class M1 license. In California the Class M1 is specifically for 2 wheeled motorcycles and is not required for the Slingshot. Another question she asked was if I had taken a motorcycle driving course which is clearly not relevant to the Slingshot. These questions are automatically asked as a part of getting motorcycle insurance. Anyway, I answered "no" to both of these questions and I got my insurance quote - which I felt was way to high. At this point I went to the websites of a few different insurance companies and got online quotes and in the process was again asked these questions and the quotes were as higher or higher than what my broker had given so I just called my broker back and got the over priced policy.

So yesterday I get the renewal bill for my insurance in the mail and I am looking at it thinking this is ridiculous so I decided to price shop again and again on the online sites I am asked these two questions and the prices are a joke. I am thinking about it and I know it is these two questions that are causing me to get screwed - I am asking for "motorcycle" insurance, which is what the Slingshot is classified as in California, and then by answering these questions honestly I am telling them I am not licensed to drive it and I haven't taken the driving course - of course they they want a high premium. At this point I figure there has to be a way to get a lower rate and I start calling local insurance agency's for well known insurance companies. And the first thing I ask the agents is if they are familiar with the Slingshot. The first few are like my own agent and have no clue, but say it doesn't matter that if they put in my VIN it will bring it up. When they do this it comes up as a motorcycle and here come those 2 questions again. At this point I hung up and tried a different agency. I was looking up these agency's online and I noticed that one of the ad's had a picture of the agent with a big grin on his face and he was sitting on Harley. I figured perhaps this guy will know what the slingshot is and can some how help me. I give him a call and the first thing I ask him is if he knows what the Slingshot is - he excitedly says yes, his friend at the gym has one, a red one, So then I tell him I am keep getting stupid high quotes and I think it is because I don't have a class M1 licence. I point out to him that the Class M1 is specifically states that it is for 2 wheel motorcycles and that I am not required to have it and He knows this we then have a good laugh at the idea of someone pulling up to take the driving test around the cones in a slingshot.

Anyway to get to the point Kenneth got me a new policy 100,000/300000 liability and full collision everything I wanted for just over $500 a year which is much much less than I paid last year and much much less than what I was getting from places that only knew that their computer said it was a "motorcycle"

When I printed off my new policy I saw how Kenneth had gotten around around those two standard questions for motorcycle insurance. In the vehicle identification section at the top of the policy there it was:

Make: Polaris, Model: Slingshot, VIN: XXYY12345678910FME and finally the kicker and way I believe he got around those dumb questions and having them count as a bad thing against me TYPE: "SPECIALTY AUTO"

The reason why I am sharing this is to hopefully help anyone who might be having the same problem of having insurance companies that dont understand that in some states the motorcycle endorsement/license is not required for the slingshot

find an agent that understands what it it, one that knows the endorsement isnt needed and one that knows it isnt really a motorcycle and you cant fall of or over. They have ways they can help if they really understand what it is.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• @edwardaneal
    Would you be kind enough to share name, & number of with another Californian who is getting shafted by Insurance. Mine is written 100/300, driving just 1000 miles a year. Clean record. That was the only way they could write it and keep it under $1000 per year, and it is just barely under.........
    (This is my second SS- since about june or july, 2015- combined mileage of over 38,000 miles.) thanks!

• That is some good info @edwardaneal for people paying a bunch for full coverage.

I think the the average cost most people pay is around 600.00 to 700.00 a year for good full coverage. You did really well at right above 500..

I pay somewhere around 690.00 a year for 100,000/300,000 . Collision deductible is 500 and my comp deductible is 1000.00. It is with NationWide

• @edwardaneal
    Would you be kind enough to share name, & number of with another Californian who is getting shafted by Insurance. Mine is written 100/300, driving just 1000 miles a year. Clean record. That was the only way they could write it and keep it under $1000 per year, and it is just barely under.........
    (This is my second SS- since about june or july, 2015- combined mileage of over 38,000 miles.) thanks!

shoot me an e-mail and when I get home I will send you the info

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• @edwardaneal
    done! (just saw your reply)

got it :)

and I have to make a correction to my OP - the quote I received said specialty auto, but I have now received the actual policy and it does say motorcycle - doesnt really matter how he didt it whatever it was it worked

• Unfortunately I let my M1 expire years ago hadnt ridden in years and at the time was living up in the Los Angeles area and didnt foresee riding again do to all the idiots on the road. Having the Slingshot classified as a motorcycle but allso having it exempt from the need for an M1 seems to confuse the insurance companies. Fact is in California the M1 is ONLY for 2 wheeled motorcycles all trikes are exempt.