Polaris updated ecu for EPAS issues

• I have my original unflashed ECU in my 2015 SL. I get a little hang but it's not all that bad and I can live with it. Always scared to mess with something that works, I have no steering issues or dead spots. If the flash will cure the hang maybe I'll flash it when I bring it in for the headlight wire recall.

I agree with you, mine has never been flashed either, i also have a little hang time on the rev sometime. It is not something that I worry about.

• I've read about the rev hang issue but never experienced it with my SS yet. What I have going on is that sometimes when I come to a stop and push the clutch in, the motor drops below 500 rpms and it feels like the engine is going to stall. Does not happen everytime but I just wonder once it starts to get some age on it if it is going to stall out on me? Is this something that can be corrected with a reflash?

• I've read about the rev hang issue but never experienced it with my SS yet. What I have going on is that sometimes when I come to a stop and push the clutch in, the motor drops below 500 rpms and it feels like the engine is going to stall. Does not happen everytime but I just wonder once it starts to get some age on it if it is going to stall out on me? Is this something that can be corrected with a reflash?

Probably not. What year is yours and do you know when it was manufactured? If it's a 2016, there is no updated software that will do anything for engine tuning. Bob from MEFIburn in CA does ecu tuning that raises the base idle rpm as well as other mods to the fuel tables that will get you better performance. It's well worth the investment

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• I posted this in the other steering sticking thread, but had my EPAS update done this morning and I'll be damned if it didn't work :thumbsup: . The steering not only stopped sticking on center, but they increased the power assist slightly making it easier and more of a pleasant drive. Put about 60 miles on it and all still good. Very happy and they didn't need to change out my steering.

• interesting... I don't think I want extra boost to my steering. Like it the way is is...

Guess I need to make sure they don't do the update on mine when it goes in. No flare and no steering issues so no reason.

Great info non the less

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

just an update on my issue. Dealer originally thought my check engine light was a bad speed sensor but come to find out it was a bad clutch switch. They replaced that and the problem I had with the near stall when I pushed the clutch in went completely away. RPMs fall smoothly to 750 every time now. Bike runs great now.

• just an update on my issue. Dealer originally thought my check engine light was a bad speed sensor but come to find out it was a bad clutch switch. They replaced that and the problem I had with the near stall when I pushed the clutch in went completely away. RPMs fall smoothly to 750 every time now. Bike runs great now.

Kevin is easy to deal with on what you need. I listened today as he offered to pull the front splitter off of a new SS to satisify a customer. Was that you in the white SS today? I turned around to catch the white SS but it disappeared on business 17.

• Recently started to experience the "sticking" in my steering and didn't realize it could be resolved with ecu. Heading to the dealer next Tuesday to double nut the rear axle so I'll ask about the steering then. Thanks for the info. :)

• Recently started to experience the "sticking" in my steering and didn't realize it could be resolved with ecu. Heading to the dealer next Tuesday to double nut the rear axle so I'll ask about the steering then. Thanks for the info. :)

Paul, sometimes, depends on the dealer, they're a little behind the 8-ball on Digital Wrench updates. The latest update for Digital Wrench 3.7 which takes care of the EPAS issue is dated 4/26/16. If they're not aware of it, they can download the latest version from their Polaris website - may cause a little delay while they download. Hopefully your dealers' software is already up to date. Just so you know...

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• Thanks a lot Tripod. I appreciate that and will call before I get there to find out which version they have. Daniel is a pretty sharp tech and likes staying on top of things so if he's not current, he'll get that update quick. Save me some time as I'm leaving for California the next day for the So Cal Spring Sling and don't want to get hung up waiting. :thumbup:

• Jason is easy to deal with on what you need. I listened today as he offered to pull the front splitter off of a new SS to satisify a customer.

Yep they are good peeps. Kevin has taken care of what I needed so far. Bike is running way better than it did before. Much smoother.

• update:
    I got my ECM back from Bob.
    The rev hangs are completely gone. :thumbsup:

• Thanks a lot Tripod. I appreciate that and will call before I get there to find out which version they have. Daniel is a pretty sharp tech and likes staying on top of things so if he's not current, he'll get that update quick. Save me some time as I'm leaving for California the next day for the So Cal Spring Sling and don't want to get hung up waiting. :thumbup:

@Tripod knows everything!

I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.

I have the 2016.5 model - three weeks old - and I experience the same rev drop at times - typically when I am decelerating and shifting down.

I have not experienced the other issues discussed in this thread - either rev hang or the steering issue described.

The steering related item I notice (and this could be me needing to adjust to steering sensitivity) but at highway speeds, any slight (I mean very light, 1/4" changes in steering) movement of the wheel and the steering responds.

I find myself correcting what seems like over steer and end up waggling the back end. It is unsettling on the highway and I can't get comfortable at higher speeds.

• I have the 2016.5 model - three weeks old - and I experience the same rev drop at times - typically when I am decelerating and shifting down.
    I have not experienced the other issues discussed in this thread - either rev hang or the steering issue described.

The steering related item I notice (and this could be me needing to adjust to steering sensitivity) but at highway speeds, any slight (I mean very light, 1/4" changes in steering) movement of the wheel and the steering responds.

I find myself correcting what seems like over steer and end up waggling the back end. It is unsettling on the highway and I can't get comfortable at higher speeds.

I'm thinking you might need a Laser alignment.

All the oil might be in Alberta but the dipsticks are in Ottawa!

• I have the 2016.5 model - three weeks old - and I experience the same rev drop at times - typically when I am decelerating and shifting down.

If not already done, I'd have the update done regardless. Especially if you don't have custom ECU mods yet. The steering issue you describe sounds suspiciously like what some of us that did have the sticking issue were experiencing. We just hadn't isolated it at the beginning. Mine felt the same at first (really squirrely at higher speeds) and I too chased the alignment issue until I read about the sticking and figured that's what was causing me to drive like I was drunk when having to make small corrections. The EPAS fixed mine and pretty much everyone else's steering issues....without the laser alignment!. I still plan on having the alignment done sometime in the future regardless, just to see what it does to the handling characteristics, but in your case, I'd have that done before anything else....Can't hurt. :thumbup:

• Jorge - makes sense and you described the sensation fairly well - squirrely at higher speeds with the smallest of corrections affecting the steering.

(I would read how some owners would get their rides up to 80 mph or more and couldn't image doing that for fear getting out of control and the rear whiplashing)

No custom ECU mods yet - will ask that the dealer do the update at the 500 mile service.