Planning a road trip to Sundre, Canada

• add another 12 hrs each way and you will be good. That doesn't include weather

• add another 12 hrs each way and you will be good. That doesn't include weather

Oh, I have no doubt...pictures and stretching my legs, food & beer, mishaps...All I can go by right now is what the map says. I'll be sure to record all legs and times when I do it.

I've done some pretty awesome road trips, including Maine to MN in two 16 hr days with my dad when I was a kid, and a couple of N -> S or S -> N trips up and down the east coast that were pretty excessive lengths of time in the car, and a cool CO -> NY trip right after I joined the Navy....but this will definitely push the limits!

• Day 1 of return trip (1122 miles) looks a little ambitious... Not saying it can’t be done but it sure won’t be any fun...

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• Day 1 of return trip (1122 miles) looks a little ambitious... Not saying it can’t be done but it sure won’t be any fun...

No, it won't be, but I don't have any desire to stop before then and spend another day away from home by that point. Plus I want a day with my family in MN, who I haven't seen in years, and definitely not seen since my dad died. His brother, and some others.

• It looks like the dates are July 27-29. I have a family reunion in Sunriver, OR from July 19-29 but will not attend all 10 days. I also have a good buddy that moved to Idaho Falls last year I'd like to go visit. So, if I can schedule it in and get my better half to go, I could meet you in Helena for the rest of the journey and the Slingfest. I'm guessing you would be in Helena on the 25th or 26th? I'll run this up the flagpole and see what she thinks. If I fly her up for the Slingfest, is Calgary the closest international airport? She may enjoy the road trip more if she only does it one way.

@BryanL have you thought any more about making this trip?

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• It looks like the dates are July 27-29. I have a family reunion in Sunriver, OR from July 19-29 but will not attend all 10 days. I also have a good buddy that moved to Idaho Falls last year I'd like to go visit. So, if I can schedule it in and get my better half to go, I could meet you in Helena for the rest of the journey and the Slingfest. I'm guessing you would be in Helena on the 25th or 26th? I'll run this up the flagpole and see what she thinks. If I fly her up for the Slingfest, is Calgary the closest international airport? She may enjoy the road trip more if she only does it one way.

@BryanL have you thought any more about making this trip?

Calgary is about an hour and a half away, apparently, but there is also a regional airport literally across the street from Mark & Shawna's house.

As far as my dates for travel, I don't have anything locked down yet. I was thinking about going out a few days early and helping Mark around the campground, just another set of hands for him, but I don't know how that will work out. If I don't do that, I would assume Helena on the 24th or 25th. Ish.

• I don't know if I will make it this year but this morning I was working on a few trips and this was one file. I didn't include the Drumheller Dinosaur Museum with a visit to Wayne. The transportation Museum in
    Wetaskiwin is a really good place to spend a day. I have never been to the Rimbey Truck museum but it was on a bikers road map. It would be a great way to spend a day even before or after the Slingfest.

• Have your annual physical before you leave because you wont like the the numbers if you wait until you get back. once you're in Wisconsin I'm going fill you with enough food that you won't be hungry for 10,000 miles, enough drink that you'll wanna stay, and enough cheese that you won't need to make any dump stops for a month

• @KayTwo you might want to try shortening the legs to around 600 miles. 800 + miles is pretty ambitious especially since you’ll require stops every 150-160 miles or so. For example, I travel El Paso to Colorado Springs on a regular basis, 576 miles 9 hours according to google. That’s in a car with a couple stops. On the bike (slingshot) it’s typically a 10-11 hour ride because of the stops for fuel, cool off, weather, etc.

• @KayTwo you might want to try shortening the legs to around 600 miles. 800 + miles is pretty ambitious especially since you’ll require stops every 150-160 miles or so. For example, I travel El Paso to Colorado Springs on a regular basis, 576 miles 9 hours according to google. That’s in a car with a couple stops. On the bike (slingshot) it’s typically a 10-11 hour ride because of the stops for fuel, cool off, weather, etc.

@jorgebri60 - I thought about that. Might have to revise a couple of those legs, but I feel like I could do 12 hours behind the wheel pretty easy. Only issue with a couple legs is that they have a definitive stopping goal (because otherwise I'm sleeping under a bridge), but some of them I could definitely get creative.

@KayTwo you might want to try shortening the legs to around 600 miles. 800 + miles is pretty ambitious especially since you’ll require stops every 150-160 miles or so. For example, I travel El Paso to Colorado Springs on a regular basis, 576 miles 9 hours according to google. That’s in a car with a couple stops. On the bike (slingshot) it’s typically a 10-11 hour ride because of the stops for fuel, cool off, weather, etc.

200 mile stops would still leave me 60 miles to empty. but I agree 8 to 9 hours max for the day. Even at 80 MPH on the Inter state that will be a long day. In all of my years in planning drive time I still figured 50 miles per hour of driving time, about the only time you will beat that is lots of inter state.

• On two wheels I've done 1000 miles in 24 hours. Trust me, staying within the limits where the PoPo won't nail you that is a difficult thing to do along with gas stops, grub, and coffee relate issues (think both filling and emptying). 1122 miles is really aggressive. Not only weather can affect it, but also unknowns, like road construction (lots of it in the north from the salt and winter) and accidents that can leave you stranded on the interstate for literally hours without moving. Most I've done back to back on two wheels was 750 miles two days in a row. I've done 600 mile days 4 days in a row, but even that takes some doing.

When you wrote Lynn on the itinerary, were you talking about my home front? Looks like most likely you would be coming thru mid week. Depending on work demands at that time, I might take off and ride part way the following day if that's the case.

• I have ridden the SS from Rogers to Maggie Valley in 11 hours (822 miles), rode around for three days, then rode back in 11 hours twice. Second time was with @HeRSling. I love long road drives. We are both riding to Kerrville in April so will be a little different in two Slings but apx. 630 miles each way. We are 63 and @KayTwo is still a kid.
    My first ride to MV I hit road construction on the way (delayed over an hour) and a storm on the way home that slowed me down to 55 for a couple hours. Second trip only had rain for about 15 min.
    It will be a tiring ride Jared but one you will glad you did.

• 200 mile stops would still leave me 60 miles to empty. but I agree 8 to 9 hours max for the day. Even at 80 MPH on the Inter state that will be a long day. In all of my years in planning drive time I still figured 50 miles per hour of driving time, about the only time you will beat that is lots of inter state.

On two wheels I've done 1000 miles in 24 hours. Trust me, staying within the limits where the PoPo won't nail you that is a difficult thing to do along with gas stops, grub, and coffee relate issues (think both filling and emptying). 1122 miles is really aggressive. Not only weather can affect it, but also unknowns, like road construction (lots of it in the north from the salt and winter) and accidents that can leave you stranded on the interstate for literally hours without moving. Most I've done back to back on two wheels was 750 miles two days in a row. I've done 600 mile days 4 days in a row, but even that takes some doing.

Last summer I made the trip from Charleston< SC to La Porte, IN --- 870 miles in 15 hours. Riding by myself and no weather problems along to trip. I have always been able to do long days driving/riding ---600 to 700 is more realistic day after day.

I have ridden the SS from Rogers to Maggie Valley in 11 hours (822 miles), ridden around for three days, then rode back in 11 hours twice. Second time was with my @HeRSling. I love long road drives. We are both riding to Kerrville in April so will be a little different in two Slings but app. 630 miles each way. We are 63 and @KayTwo is still a kid.

I am reading every word you guys write, believe me. One thing I did this morning was go back to the map and do some calculations, and I realized that the map program is calculating time-distance with an average of 63-65 mph. Used to be, they used around 55-57 mph. I agree, on the long road trips, at least the ones I am familiar with in the eastern half of the U.S., the best you can generally hope to do is 60 mph average. So I will have to recalculate based on that alone.

However, I also like to start my road trips very early in the morning, or in the overnight. I think a couple of the legs, like the first day when I leave home and head to Ross's house, I would definitely be on the road at like 4 AM or so. So maybe that will make a difference for a couple of those.

I think Tripod was right, that first leg coming back from Sundre, 1100+ miles in 18 hours, is too aggressive. I'll have to look at a different breakdown of the miles. Maybe instead of the direct shortest route in one day, break it into two, add a few miles, and drop down into MT to experience more of the Big Sky country. We'll have to take a look.

I appreciate the input and thoughtful comments from everyone, especially since there is definitely some high-mileage experience in this crowd. I have a lot of miles in my life, but the vast majority of them are in a cage, and I recognize that this is a different beast.

• When you wrote Lynn on the itinerary, were you talking about my home front? Looks like most likely you would be coming thru mid week. Depending on work demands at that time, I might take off and ride part way the following day if that's the case.

That was the general idea for driving through Lynn, yes. I figured you might have a beer in the fridge and a spot on the driveway for a sleeping bag. And I would love to do some riding, whether you meet me the day before and we loop towards your place, or you pick up and move out with me the day after.

• Last summer I made the trip from Charleston< SC to La Porte, IN --- 870 miles in 15 hours. Riding by myself and no weather problems along to trip. I have always been able to do long days driving/riding ---600 to 700 is more realistic day after day.

The most mlles in one day for me was from Georgetown, S.C. to Indy, Ind. in the Hot Rod. That was also at least 10mph over the posted speed limit. 14 Hours for 761 miles, gas stops only