Planning a road trip to Sundre, Canada

• So...I just got preliminary permission to plan and execute what could be the most epic road trip I've ever undertaken, and I've had my share.

@SundreSlingQueen has promised there's a Slingfest 2018 in the works. I've been trying to convince @sideseatdriver that we should all go up, with limited success (I'm not quitting yet), but tonight she made the serious suggestion that I take some leave and make the trip. In the Sling.

So I'm starting the preliminary planning. Here's the basic route from Fountain Inn, SC, to Sundre, Alberta, Canada.

The northernmost route, marked in blue, goes through Chicago, so.....NOPE. Probably take the middle route. Anyone else driving to Sundre and want to drive along? :P

I will likely have to drive some significant time on some highways, just so the 23-hundred-odd miles (one way!) don't take me 3 weeks to complete. Not a complete bummer, there's still some gorgeous country to see.

Ok, so, I really want to drive through Montana. I want to see that country. So, I looked at the roads through there, and....

Cool, there's a major road that goes across Montana...wait, does it turn north and just end at the border? What, does it turn into a horse-trail for the Mounties?

Zoom in....

Still nothing. Zoom further....

Hey, cool, they do have roads in Canada! Anyone know if the road from Sweet Grass, MT, through Lethbridge to Calgary is open and passable? @kev, @gooseman, you're from Canada, aren't you? No, I'm just kidding, I know you live, like, at least 4 moose herds away, so I can't expect you to know...

But in all seriousness, I know there have been some other epic Sling road trips undertaken by members of this forum. Anita comes to mind, @adventure4me. And of course, Sundre's very own adventurer, @Slingshot Garage. Any advice or hard lessons learned specific to the Sling? Sunscreen, check. Got that one.

Don't know if I'm gonna be able to pull this one off (especially since we don't have dates yet), but I'm gonna be planning for it, soooooo.....seriously, anyone want to go for a ride? :00008172:

• I'm in and would join you somewhere along the way depending on when this is going to happen. I believe the last get together up there was in August? I think Sweet Grass is where we crossed into Canada the first trip to Alaska. Open and passable by when? We ran into snow the first of part of May. Lake Louise was still frozen! How much leave do you have? :) Could you please just grow up and retire so you don't have to hurry. :00008359: Don't fail me here!!

• That is a hell of a road trip you have planned @KayTwo wish I had the time to take a trip like that but I am way to far from retirement to even think about it.

Mitch, I never would have thought of asking to do this, because I don't like leaving Heather with the kids for that long, but she brought it up. And I get 30 days a year of leave, and if I don't take them after a while, I lose them, soooo......we'll see, maybe this won't even come to fruition. But it sure would be fun.

• I'm in and would join you somewhere along the way depending on when this is going to happen. I believe the last get together up there was in August? I think Sweet Grass is where we crossed into Canada the first trip to Alaska. Open and passable by when? We ran into snow the first of part of May. Lake Louise was still frozen! How much leave do you have? :) Could you please just grow up and retire so you don't have to hurry. :00008359: Don't fail me here!!

Anita, I would be beyond honored. Last year it was the end of July, so I'm guessing that same general timeframe.

• I found a better route for ya. Add Sturgis, SD to the trip. It'll take you though Montana. And you can see Mt Rushmore.

I was actually thinking the same thing, TBH. I'll probably spend some time on a full sized computer instead of my phone and figure out the stops I want to make, and where I want to add miles to see a certain thing.

• Mitch, I never would have thought of asking to do this, because I don't like leaving Heather with the kids for that long, but she brought it up. And I get 30 days a year of leave, and if I don't take them after a while, I lose them, soooo......we'll see, maybe this won't even come to fruition. But it sure would be fun.

Well if this doesn't pan out maybe we can put together a road trip for 5-6 days. I could most likely pull that off.
    The full run of the Blue ridge is a beautiful ride and there are lots of places to stop / detour to along the way.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Take the route through Chicago as we are just outside of Madison WI and our door is open, the spare beds ready, the grill can be fired up and the refrigerator is full if you want to save yourself some hotel money.

I highly encourage that you all go and we have room and food and beds for all

• Sounds epic! I've been looking at this, wondering if we could make this trip. It would be 823 miles for us blowing out the top of Idaho, and 1,124 miles going through Helena, MT. However, the timing may not work for my wife's schedule - she gets the summer off but goes back to work in late July. I'd love to meet up with you along the way but would definitely need permission as well. Would you ask your wife if it's OK for me to go?

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Take the route through Chicago as we are just outside of Madison WI and our door is open, the spare beds ready, the grill can be fired up and the refrigerator is full if you want to save yourself some hotel money.

I highly encourage that you all go and we have room and food and beds for all

@Ross, I'll definitely look into it, maybe figure out a route around Chicago. I'd like the opportunity to break bread with you - may never have the chance again.

If I *can* get heather and the kids up to Sundre, they would be flying. We don't have a passenger vehicle I'd really want to make that drive, and there's no way I'd make her drive 5000 miles alone with those two animals. :D

• Sounds epic! I've been looking at this, wondering if we could make this trip. It would be 823 miles for us blowing out the top of Idaho, and 1,124 miles going through Helena, MT. However, the timing may not work for my wife's schedule - she gets the summer off but goes back to work in late July. I'd love to meet up with you along the way but would definitely need permission as well. Would you ask your wife if it's OK for me to go?

@SlingLow, heather said it's ok if you come, but ask your wife first. :P

I would totally meet up with you in MT if you could make it. You need to do this.

• @KayTwo even though you don't like it and to be honest I would like to be able to go hunting with a handgun around the farm, I really wouldn't want it any other way. If we have a problem with someone on the road or a druggie breaking into the garage or trying to take a vehicle there is a great chance that they won't have a handgun. The big cities it's a greater possibility for sure but in rural Canada it's not really a problem as of yet. I have never felt the need to have to carry for protection or fear of any danger.
    Anyways the trip sounds epic and by the few responses so far I am quite sure you will end up with a convoy heading north

• @KayTwo even though you don't like it and to be honest I would like to be able to go hunting with a handgun around the farm, I really wouldn't want it any other way. If we have a problem with someone on the road or a druggie breaking into the garage or trying to take a vehicle there is a great chance that they won't have a handgun. The big cities it's a greater possibility for sure but in rural Canada it's not really a problem as of yet. I have never felt the need to have to carry for protection or fear of any danger.
    Anyways the trip sounds epic and by the few responses so far I am quite sure you will end up with a convoy heading north

@gooseman, I totally get it - different culture, different country, gotta follow different rules, etc. I just dont like it. That's why I dont go to f&$%in' New Jersey. But this is Slingfest! Might be the only chance I ever get! So I'll suck it up.

How far are you from Sundre?