Slingshot tie down in enclosed trailer

• I did the E track system because when I tow behind my fifth wheel I need less than 500 pounds tongue weight, hence the back in. When towing behind the truck I can handle all the tongue weight the trailer can give me. It makes a difference in trailer tracking true to tow vehicle. Towed over 4000 miles last year when I went out to Oregon last year without issues. Only bug in the system was Oregon does not allow double towing. I dropped SS trailer in Parma Idaho at cousin house then pull fiver to Portland, then dead headed back to Parma to tow SS trailer out to Portland. Had to reverse process when I left for home 6 weeks later. Due to Oregon's law it added a full 24 hours of driving and 1600 miles to my trip. Kind of pissed me off so i made sure to fill all tanks in Parma coming and going, just trying to beat Oregon out of all the fuel taxes i could. I can pull triples on my CDL in Oregon in a commercial truck but only one trailer when in a recreational vehicle. And according to my correspondence with several agencies in Oregon they dont really care about all the money the state is loosing from RVers that tow a small boat, ski doos, bikes, or any tag trailer.

Dang, guess I vented, sorry

LC

• That is the same set up I went with...

• Alright need some help with designing my trailer. Here is the drawing I received today to verify my order. I am having a couple of issues that I hope someone here with more of an engineering degree can help with. I am not sure exactly where the sling will sit in the trailer for COG and tongue weight parameters. Since that is the case, I'm also not sure if i should place a strip of track for the rear of just do the D-rings for the rear. I also am not sure if the placement of the D-rings will suit me if I need to place a car in there. I believe that I am going to switch the door to the curbside because of where I will be parking my trailer. Thank you in advance for any help.

Just a small town farmboy, handy with my hands and originally trained as a automotive technician. Lives in Swayzee Indiana.

• I put a single track in the back under the rear tires. If I remember right, it was centered right at 10-1/2 feet pretty much exactly where you have it. Weight ratio is like 63% front and 37% back (or pretty close). Let me get to my home computer and see if I can find the pics and drawing I did that looks just exactly like yours.

EDIT:

Found pics, but not a lay-out. I let the trailer tell me where to put the slingshot by driving in and seeing where it settled, but it was just exactly like yours - front wheels just ahead of wheel well and rear behind.

I ended up laying the EZTrack on the stock floor (1st pic) and then laying another layer of 3/8" plywood over it so that it came up flush with the top of the EZTrack. I've painted it with just patio paint for now, but the eventual plan is cover the floor in carpet tiles, including removable tiles over the track so that I can uncover when towing, and cover when I get the slingshot out.

I've towed with this layout a couple times and everything works perfect. Not even very much weight on the truck.

• If you've got an 8-1/2' wide trailer, you can strap it down from the front (that's what I do). Bigger pain is actually getting out of the slingshot over the wheel well once you pull it in. I put the eztrack strap in location where I want it then just pull in till the front tires hit it.

• It is an 8.5x20'. Chavey2 how long is your trailer? I was trying to not have full runs of Etrack but it will be recessed and welded to the frame if I have the manufacturer do it.

Macaws, I wasn't sure if it would be better to have the D-rings more toward the outside or inside if the trailer, I get 4 installed with the price of the trailer. The trailer might get used more for moving people than hauling the Sling.

Just a small town farmboy, handy with my hands and originally trained as a automotive technician. Lives in Swayzee Indiana.

• It is an 8.5x20'. Chavey2 how long is your trailer? I was trying to not have full runs of Etrack but it will be recessed and welded to the frame if I have the manufacturer do it.

Macaws, I wasn't sure if it would be better to have the D-rings more toward the outside or inside if the trailer, I get 4 installed with the price of the trailer. The trailer might get used more more moving people than hauling the Sling.

Mine are in the stock mounting points for most trailers - I have hauled cars and Slings with no problem but I don't see any reason why you couldn't move them further out towards the walls.

forgot to answer the size it is an 8.5' x 18' V nose (20' overall)

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Alright need some help with designing my trailer. Here is the drawing I received today to verify my order. I am having a couple of issues that I hope someone here with more of an engineering degree can help with. I am not sure exactly where the sling will sit in the trailer for COG and tongue weight parameters. Since that is the case, I'm also not sure if i should place a strip of track for the rear of just do the D-rings for the rear. I also am not sure if the placement of the D-rings will suit me if I need to place a car in there. I believe that I am going to switch the door to the curbside because of where I will be parking my trailer. Thank you in advance for any help.

av8ingtom can you weigh in here? Or Ghost ?

• SlingByron this is just my .02$. I have 8.5 x 20. I have etrac for each front wheel and have etrac for rear. The straps have the rubber blocks on them and I placed the trac center of wheel, extending trac forwards to have easy access for ratchets. The rear same way with trac extended rear of wheel. Make sure you locate trac center line of wheels. I took some pretty curvy roads going to ES and SS did not move at all. I love this system. My trac is about 1 1/2 inches inside wheel fender. I will get pics if you want. For tie downs put them in like you would for a car hauler still works , I am just partial to etrac. U s cargo has best prices.

JUST SAYIN

Keep Three Wheels Down

• My 8.5 X 20 enclosed had the E-Trac all the way down each wall including the top of the fender wells and all the way down the center. It also has the 4 standard "D" rings. It has the side door on the curb side. I would not advise having the side door on the other side. To easy to step out of the trailer right in front of some fool driving to close. Having the E-Trac set up this way makes the trailer much more versatile. My tie down location changes some what depending out what I'm using to pull the trailer. If it happens to be the dually then the SS gets pulled further toward the front because tongue weight isn't an issue and the more I can put on the truck the easier it is on the trailer tires. If I'm pulling with a smaller truck then it gets tied down further back.

One of the biggest improvements I made was taking rabtech 's advice and purchasing some retractable ratchet straps. Hopefully he will chime in with the type and where you can get them.

I mentioned the trailer tires above. My trailer had the smaller 15" tires on it . That is a HUGE mistake. DO NOT buy a trailer with small 15" tires unless you want to drive 55mph every where you go. Anything above 65 and these things pop like popcorn. And yes I have bought the heaviest duty tires that I can find for it. Make sure you get the tires like rabtech got on his newest trailer or larger and you'll be good to go.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• I believe that I am going to switch the door to the curbside because of where I will be parking my trailer

It has the side door on the curb side. I would not advise having the side door on the other side. To easy to step out of the trailer right in front of some fool driving to close.

Bigger pain is actually getting out of the slingshot over the wheel well once you pull it in.

What about a hatch sized door (3 ft tall or so) on the opposite side of the man door for outside access to attach the strap?

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I absolutely have fell in love with the LOADALL brand straps. I have had probably every brand and style of strap and these by far are the best I have used.

They work, and they keep working... They retract like a seat belt in a car. So if something moves the strap automatically takes up that slack. And they have quality guts in them. Walmart had a knock-off of this style strap not long ago. The strap worked one time and then was junk. It literally bent up the gears and the release portion of the Walmart strap. These LOADALL straps seem to just have a good feel to them

Like Ghost said. Once you use them you will be a LOADALL believer. They always have a trailer down at Panama City during bike week. That is where I first noticed them years ago. And when Ghost was down there with me during the spring rally I talked him into getting 4 of them

I always get them with a S hook on both ends but the way they are designed you can get E-track on one end and S on the other. I will find some pictures and the link and add them to my post.

I also talked MACAWS into a set of them. I just noticed he had them in his picture above. I will be that he likes them also . You cant beat them for durability and ease of use.

https://loadall.com/collections/tie-downs

DON'T BELIEVE THAT THESE ARE AS GOOD.... THEY ARE TERRIBLE..

Here is a picture of the website your looking for. They are a bit expensive but worth it. At the rallies and events they usually have a show special and its usually 10% lower than these prices.