Rear tire

• On both our slings we are running Anerican Racing Torque Thrust 18 x 10 with a 45 degree offset all the way around. This really opens up tire choices, allows us to run a taller tire in the back, and the extra width up front is awesome in the turns. Don't
    limit yourselves by trying to stay with a stock configuration.

• When I first started looking for low-cost wheels that would accommodate wider tires on the SLingshot, I tried a wheel from JEGS, IRC, but ended up returning it when I carefully mounted it and realized it only had about 1/16" clearance between the wheel and the brake caliper. Just check on the firm's return policy before you order and be prepared to pay more than a few Dollars to ship the wheel back if you need to return it.
    I was originally going to have a stock Base wheel widened, but realized that can add its own complications and added costs such as a spacer to handle the changed Offset.

• I put my rear wheel up front! Took the 20x9 and purchased another, so I have two 27OD Nitto 555 G2 255 on the front. Purchased an 18x10 for the back and been using a ~28OD tires there. Been messing with different tires. Had the MT on the back and just got another Nitto G2 295 come in to give that a try. Just trying to keep with the 1 inch larger in the rear.

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• When I first started looking for low-cost wheels that would accommodate wider tires on the SLingshot, I tried a wheel from JEGS, IRC, but ended up returning it when I carefully mounted it and realized it only had about 1/16" clearance between the wheel and the brake caliper. Just check on the firm's return policy before you order and be prepared to pay more than a few Dollars to ship the wheel back if you need to return it.
    I was originally going to have a stock Base wheel widened, but realized that can add its own complications and added costs such as a spacer to handle the changed Offset.

Yes, widening the stock sl rim to 12 inch is about $300
    The spacer to offset the widened rim is about$200

John
    2017 SL LE Midnight Cherry
    :COILOVERSS::TURBOSS::MOTOROILSS::FILTERSS::COLDAIRSS::DONKEYSS:

• I put my rear wheel up front! Took the 20x9 and purchased another, so I have two 27OD Nitto 555 G2 255 on the front. Purchased an 18x10 for the back and been using a ~28OD tires there. Been messing with different tires. Had the MT on the back and just got another Nitto G2 295 come in to give that a try. Just trying to keep with the 1 inch larger in the rear.

I originally tried a 295/30R18 Sumitomo HTR Z III on my stock base rear wheel to be as close as possible to the stock diameter. Guess I'll need to try a 555 G2 295/45R18 when I free up another stock rear Base wheel.

• Looks very nice! How close is the rear wheel to the swingarm?

On both our slings we are running Anerican Racing Torque Thrust 18 x 10 with a 45 degree offset all the way around. This really opens up tire choices, allows us to run a taller tire in the back, and the extra width up front is awesome in the turns. Don't
    limit yourselves by trying to stay with a stock configuration.

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

Edited once, last by SoCal ().

The shipper will skin you alive on return shipping.

• The shipper will skin you alive on return shipping.

Don't remember the exact cost to UPS the wheel back, but I think it was in the $30-50 range. I felt it was smarter to do that than just keeping a wheel I didn't want/couldn't use. Fortunately, I only had to do it once as the AM wheel I bought had a SH..load of clearance around the caliper.

• Don't remember the exact cost to UPS the wheel back, but I think it was in the $30-50 range. I felt it was smarter to do that than just keeping a wheel I didn't want/couldn't use. Fortunately, I only had to do it once as the AM wheel I bought had a SH..load of clearance around the caliper.

I ordered two seats from speedway, cost was 160 including shipping. Return shipping was going to be 100.00 buck so I said screw it and kept them.

• I just had a similar experience. Ordered some motorcycle mirrors to replace the Slingshot mirrors, but didn't measure the Slingshot mirror studs and ordered 10mm threaded mirrors when I need 8mm. Just going to donate the mirrors rather than shipping them back.

• Thank you however can you tell me the distance from the Forward edge of the rear wheel to the trailing edge of the swingarm? Just asking because it looks like a tight fit.

With the AR Torque Thrust you will have to use a 5 mil spacer on each wheel to clear the calipers.

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• I just had a similar experience. Ordered some motorcycle mirrors to replace the Slingshot mirrors, but didn't measure the Slingshot mirror studs and ordered 10mm threaded mirrors when I need 8mm. Just going to donate the mirrors rather than shipping them back.

Why not run a die on the stems and rethread them to 8mm?

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Why not run a die on the stems and rethread them to 8mm?

Uh...because it just never occurred to me? :huh:?( I wasn't aware I could just use a die to reduce 10 mm thread to 8 mm thread w/o otherwise reducing the diameter first.
    Just installed a different mirrors set this evening but rain/wet roads kept me from a test drive.

Update - 7.8.18 - Got a short test ride this afternoon. The mirrors didn't vibrate up to 75 mph. With my Twist Dynamics Top, since these mirrors have threaded stalks, I needed a mirror with a relatively straight stalk to clear the Top's frame arms and the windshield and these fit w/o problem. After threading the stalks in place, I then tightened the nut at the base of the mirror stalk to secure the mirror stalks in position. The mirrors adjusted w/o problem and didn't seem to lose positioning during the ride. These are the mirrors I tried - B00KM9139Q. Due to the short mirror stalks, I need to look between the Top frame's downtubes and my MadStad windshield as shown in the pics.

So far, I feel these are decent mirror given their cost of less than $15. If I keep them, I plan on adding some 2" rotating blind spot mirrors to make it easier to see the road surface near my rear tire when reversing. I'm also considering some mirror to attach to the dash trim pieces, but I haven't yet committed myself to drilling thru the trim and dash pieces, so i guess I'll give these an extended tryout first.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• My second Kenda rear tire is just about to the wear bars. It should be dead in another 1000 miles. That will be 2 in less than 13,000 miles. Ordered a nitto 555 G2 today.

I got around 10K miles for each of my Kenda original and replacement rear tires and 35K miles from the fronts. If you're getting around 6.5K per tire fort he Kendas, I'd expect the 555 G2 to do about the same, maybe a little longer. I have around 7K miles on my 555G2 rear tire and hope to get at least 4K miles more out of it.