Sneak Peek: Hahn RaceCraft's new Slingshot Exhaust System

• Click here for the Sneak Peek Video

After exhaustive research (sorry, just had to!), we are proud to present our brand-new, but two-years in the making, Slingshot Exhaust System!

This innovative exhaust system is the result of considerable development time, wherein we experimented with a variety of approaches in long-term validation comprising thousands of road miles. Some of you may have seen various versions of these prototype efforts at Slingshot meets. While they sounded and looked great, it became apparent along the way that rigid-mounting the exhaust system to the engine was producing less-than-optimal results. The significant additional vibration and resonance which this presented to the assembly proved troublesome to just about everything: mounting brackets, the mufflers themselves, tube welds...the gamut. As such, we were careful to not bring any such systems to market, and kept seeking our ultimate result. Another of our competitors (apparently now defunct) did introduce such a rigid engine-mounted exhaust...to less than spectacular results.

We've built complete automotive exhaust systems for many years, and know well that the best way to protect an exhaust system from such destructive vibration is to suspend it from rubber or urethane mounts. Such mounts properly isolate the system components from vibration, and this is what we've done here.

The first challenge was to create a versatile yet strong way to add such isolative exhaust mounts to the Slingshot, which unlike the automobiles we've developed systems for, enjoys no such mounting features. What we've developed are billet aluminum frame clamp mounts, as seen in the video and the pic below. These provide mounting points for the high-performance urethane mounts we've chosen. The brackets combine stainless steel fasteners with a dual-isolation system, as not only is the muffler assembly isolated from the mounting brackets via the urethane inserts, but the brackets themselves also ride on rubber isolation from the chassis. This mounting system is also inherently adjustable, as the mounting clamps can be positioned as needed on the chassis so as to properly align the exhaust on any Slingshot.

Once the mounting system was developed, we used one of our already-proven Magnaflow mufflers (as used to date in our turbocharged SidePipes system), but in a unique new fashion: we dual-passed the muffler. This enabled us to gain a total of 22" of muffling capability, as each sector of the muffler is 11" long. For maximum durability, we engineered the crossover passage using brutally-strong schedule 10 304 stainless steel elbows. This crossover feature is visible at the top of the muffler.

At the engine, we start with a thick stainless-steel flange and a triple-wall interlock liner flex section, which allows engine movement on its mounts without transferring that movement to the exhaust system itself. Our in-house mandrel tube bending capability is showcased in the strong 304 SS 16-gauge tubing sections.

The exhaust will be available in two versions: conventional bottom-exit (as seen in the video), or side-exit. In the side-exit model, we added what we feel is a clever feature: we routed the pipe through the body in precisely the same location as the Alpha side-exit exhaust, giving those owners who would wish to replace that exhaust the advantage of not having to also replace their side body panel. Like our Turbo SidePipes exhaust, we include an aluminum trim plate which uses stainless steel flathead bolts and nylock nuts to attach, rather than the pedestrian sheetmetal screws as used in the Alpha setup.

In testing to date, the new system has performed flawlessly, hitting all the mission objectives with ease: great looks, superb durability, and excellent sound. To that end, both the bottom- and side-exit version also will include an easily-installed baffle for a quieter tone, allowing the owner to choose their own preferred sound. Even without the baffle, the systems are not raspy or raucous; with the baffle, they are as civilized as can be.

What I personally enjoy tremendously is the tone characteristics. The dual-pass muffler design presents a wonderfully subdued note at idle and cruise, saving its louder personality for when we are deep in the throttle. The resonance of the system, its essential aural fingerprint, is dead-on perfect. You can play it like a fine woodwind, in that it will develop a variety of pleasing tones depending on RPM and throttle/load. The effect is not unlike a well-tuned motorcycle exhaust: musical in nature, and very fun to experience in all of its different flavors.

That said, what comes next are sound clip videos, which I will complete for each version this weekend. We've yet to determine pricing, but we do expect to come in a bit more expensive than the Alpha system, as there is more content here...and a much better assurance of long-term satisfaction, since we are not torturing the system with direct engine vibration.

The photo below is a development shot which shows the system sans tailpipe. The videos I'll present next will show both bottom- and side-exit versions in all their glory!

• That looks clean Bill. I cant really tell how loud it is. However I really like my exhaust that has been modified several times. It's as quiet as stock. Maybe even quieter. At 5psi I have a boost operated dump valve. So it opens up and has no back pressure. So I can sneak around and run over someone heals. And it does not hurt performance.

I posted this because I think most people don't want to hear the power till they really get into the gas. They are looking for a very quiet experience. That way they can talk whoever is riding with them. And you can keep your sanity when your just trying to find an open space in a parking deck. 4 cylinders just sound terrible at low rpm no matter what they are.

While your in the design phase you may want to see if you can muzzle it down to stock sound levels. And then provide a way to uncork it by using dump valves.

There is one catch though with my design. I believe it would have to be fabricated on each bike because of the differences in mounts and frame tolerances... maybe not... but it will be tight.

• Liking what I am reading here... I have my eyes on this as a possible replacment for my current Alpha side exhauast. Looking forward to the sound clip. Thanks!!

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• Thanks Rab! I can say with confidence that this system hits the mark on quiet at idle and cruise, and louder under load. The sound vids we are about to do will help solidify this critical aspect. With respect to dump valves, we're adamant about keeping the cost reasonable on this, as well as keeping it simple. The dual-pass muffler design has done an excellent job of controlling sound. For those who wish the quietest possible output, the included baffle tones it down nicely.

Relative to variations in frames, we've addressed this by the adjustable nature of the versatile isolation mounting system. We've test mounted it on several Slings, and been able to hit all the bases on proper clearances on each, so we're quite confident about fitment.

More to come!

• What about heat? Will this set up produce more or less heat to the passenger area? I like the look of it and hopefully the sound. Will it provide any performance enhancement? A Maggie Valley install would also be awesome!

4 Wheels move the body, 3 Wheels move the soul!

• What about heat? Will this set up produce more or less heat to the passenger area? I like the look of it and hopefully the sound. Will it provide any performance enhancement? A Maggie Valley install would also be awesome!

Thanks for the positivity! We've seen great results regarding heat control so far. The setup is very compact, and leaves considerable open space in the exhaust bay region for excellent cooling airflow. Performance enhancement is its raison d'etre (primary reason for being), but excellent sound runs a close second! Yes, we will be on board @ MV for installs :)

• @Bill from Hahn RaceCraft did I read it correctly about MV installs? Are you looking to do turbo installs!

Yes...in terms of PortFueler EMS-equipped SST TurboSystems, as these don't require a PCM reflash, installs will be occurring. As to reflash-style installs, this will depend upon if Bob from OBD is attending, as he'd be able to reflash on-site. We should know more details very soon, and will begin a new thread(s) to discuss possibilities. Thanks for your interest!

• Yes...in terms of PortFueler EMS-equipped SST TurboSystems, as these don't require a PCM reflash, installs will be occurring. As to reflash-style installs, this will depend upon if Bob from OBD is attending, as he'd be able to reflash on-site. We should know more details very soon, and will begin a new thread(s) to discuss possibilities. Thanks for your interest!

Bill, let’s connect PM me please. You got my interest with the group buy and MV installs.

• Bill good to hear that you are always looking at enhancing/extending your product line. I wonder if you can share what the primary differences would be between this one and your current SidePipe Dual Exhaust system?

• Bill good to hear that you are always looking at enhancing/extending your product line. I wonder if you can share what the primary differences would be between this one and your current SidePipe Dual Exhaust system?

Thanks, we are enjoying these recent new product intros very much!

The SidePipes is a turbo-specific exhaust...and specific to Hahn SST TurboSystems at that. This new line is for...well, basically everyone else, whether they be normally aspirated or supercharged.

• Thanks!

I'm looking forward to the side exhaust so I can replace the current one that is installed. I hope it's available sooner than later.

Thanks! At this point, we are about 30 days out from first deliveries. Design is done and validated, fixtures and documentation complete for production, have to lay in materials and off we go a-building :)

• Have i missed something here Bill $$$$?

Haha, no...I'm just being coy, that's all! I'm actually in the final stages of determining pricing. It's the age-old challenge of covering costs for development, production labor, all the expensive content (and there's a bit here!) and determining a reasonable margin...VERSUS what people can and will pay for it! A tricky balance, for sure.

To all: how much would YOU pay? I know, that's kind of silly to ask, especially until you've seen and/or heard more. In all seriousness, I welcome any input/feedback into pricing expectations and desires, as well as any data on competing products' features and pricing. To start the bidding - I seem to recall the Alpha side exhaust sold for $599?