helmets - do you use one? and if yes what do you use?

• Perhaps but on the flip side, what can you buy for less than $100 that you would actually want to put on a Harley? :D
    BTW, I looked up the helmet and the the H-D list price is about $16 higher. Not totally ridiculous and I like the H-D's slotted mask better than the Scorpion's.

Hey, some hookers are less than a hundred dollars & would look good put on a Harley.... uh, wait... never mind... nothing to see here folks, move along...

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• Perhaps but on the flip side, what can you buy for less than $100 that you would actually want to put on a Harley? :D
    BTW, I looked up the helmet and the the H-D list price is about $16 higher. Not totally ridiculous and I like the H-D's slotted mask better than the Scorpion's.

You can def tell Scorpion is making it and HD is stamping their name on it. Like I said it cost me nothing so thats why I ordered from HD. Having 2 Harleys in the garage it will get duel use between the SS and them.

• You can def tell Scorpion is making it and HD is stamping their name on it. Like I said it cost me nothing so thats why I ordered from HD. Having 2 Harleys in the garage it will get duel use between the SS and them.

Yeah, most of my gear has the HD logo on it too but it hasn't been getting much dual use since I got the SS. After collecting dust for two years, I finally faced the hard truth last summer and returned the plates on my 03' Fatboy to the DMV so I could cancel the insurance. I miss the 2-wheeled experience from time to time but have no regrets about getting the SS. The Fatboy accrued 13k miles between Aug. 2004 and Aug.2015. My previous SS (wrecked) accrued 9k between August 2015 and May 2016 and my current SS has accrued 19k miles since May 2016. So, averaging ~1100 miles/yr with the HD vs. ~10,000 miles/yr. with the SS; the choice was pretty clear. :D

Harley- Davidson makes motorcycles, not apparel, so of course Scorpion is making it for them. However, HD doesn't put it's name on something and sell it through the dealerships unless it's of good (or better) quality. Therefore, the Scorpion model is probably a great buy but when the time comes, I'll probably pay the extra few bucks and get the HD version too. I like their mask design better and I'm still a proud Harley Owner.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams

• Hey, some hookers are less than a hundred dollars & would look good put on a Harley.... uh, wait... never mind... nothing to see here folks, move along...

I had the same thought but figured I would let you have it. As always, you never disappoint. :thumbsup:

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    ― Douglas Adams

• Yeah, most of my gear has the HD logo on it too but it hasn't been getting much dual use since I got the SS. After collecting dust for two years, I finally faced the hard truth last summer and returned the plates on my 03' Fatboy to the DMV so I could cancel the insurance. I miss the 2-wheeled experience from time to time but have no regrets about getting the SS. The Fatboy accrued 13k miles between Aug. 2004 and Aug.2015. My previous SS (wrecked) accrued 9k between August 2015 and May 2016 and my current SS has accrued 19k miles since May 2016. So, averaging ~1100 miles/yr with the HD vs. ~10,000 miles/yr. with the SS; the choice was pretty clear. :D
    Harley- Davidson makes motorcycles, not apparel, so of course Scorpion is making it for them. However, HD doesn't put it's name on something and sell it through the dealerships unless it's of good (or better) quality. Therefore, the Scorpion model is probably a great buy but when the time comes, I'll probably pay the extra few bucks and get the HD version too. I like their mask design better and I'm still a proud Harley Owner.

I'm in the same boat...sadly the bikes have taken the back seat to the SS.

• I was thinking of picking up a Scorpion Exo GT920 modular for highway cruising and bug nights down here in FLA. Pretty cool looking and about 210$

As an alternative, you might consider a 3/4 or 1/2 (full coverage shield for either) or a modular with removable chinbar (like my Nolan N44) instead. A full face is going to be so hot (in FL) that you'll have a hard time keeping faceshield closed, which would defeat the purpose. The nice thing about the N44 is the chinbar sits behind the full coverage shield. When the chinbar is removed, you have a 3/4 shell with plenty of airflow, but enough coverage to keep rain from running down the neck of your rain suit. Perfect when you have to drive in a summer storm. When I go to the track, I remove the face shield and attach the chinbar with the sun visor (like a dirt bike helmet) for better visibility and protection, but still plenty of airflow. In colder weather (not much of a problem in FL, I know) I use a Freeze-out insulated balaclava and 3/4 setup and keep the chinbar nearby incase it gets too cold. Using the chinbar is usually my last option, for reasons I will explain below.

BTW, the N44 also has a pin-lock anti-fog shield which is awesome. I can fog up a regular face shield while holding my breath, even while using anti-fog treatments. However, the pin-lock system basically turns your visor into an insulated double-pane window. No matter how hot or cold it is, my pin-lock shield does not fog. I highly recommend it for any full or modular helmet you are considering.

My only complaint with the N44 is that the shell traps a lot of low-frequency noise that bounces around inside the helmet when in full face configuration (chinbar and faceshield installed). However, I think that may be a problem with full face helmets in general, but more so for the plastic shells. It gets so loud that it drowns out the radio and just pounds on my eardrums. The only way to combat the low-freq droning is to open the face shield, remove chinbar, or pump music into a headset. Music from the external speakers will only make things worse. Unfortunately, at sustained highway speeds, the extra buffeting and vibration with the faceshield raised is not much better than the droning. Personally, the wind and vibration with the face shield only cracked open at >50mph will rattle my head enough to blur my vision, so it's face shield fully down and either ditch the chinbar or switch to headset mode.

If you have an old full face or can borrow one from a friend, give it a try in the Slingshot before you spend your money on a new full face and find out you can't bear to wear it.

Just my 2 cents. :thumbup:

― Douglas Adams

• Normally just a baseball cap or nothing on my head. I do carry helmets in case some LEO says I need one or due to a downpour

I started doing the same last summer, mostly running around town and without incident, but I'll probably go back to my half-shell soon. The Locals have seen me enough with both that they probably let me slide, but others are getting wise. The last three LEOs I chatted with (WV Trooper, VA Trooper, and a neighboring Local here in MD), all asked the dreaded question, "Helmet's are required, right?" Of course, I'm not the kind of person to lie, especially to a cop. I learned a long time ago that when someone asks you a question you want to avoid, it's usually because they already know the answer. Fortunately, each time I was wearing a helmet or put it on before turning the ignition key. :whistling:

― Douglas Adams

• I too decided to go with the Scorpion Covert for the wife and I. Pretty comfortable and removeable chin and neck are sweet.

Lookin' good! I think I'll be adding one (or two) to my b-day wish list!

― Douglas Adams