Hahn SST TurboSystem Group Buy

• Bill,
    I have been considering whether to go supercharged or Turbo, I’m familiar with both platforms just wondering which one is more usable in the slingshot. Thoughts?

Scott,

For the sake of equal time and an opposing point of view to balance perceptions, I am also working on a version of Turbocharger and Supercharger Pros and Cons. I'll have it ready soon and notify you and...well, everyone!

In the short run, I can touch on a couple of basics.

We prefer turbocharging for two primary reasons: versatility of power options and efficiency. It's for these same reasons that turbocharging has almost completely supplanted supercharging in new OEM applications, as OEM engineers prize the same capabilities our engineers do. I'll elaborate a bit:

Versatility:
    Turbocharging's extensively more adaptable and adjustable range of power levels offers the enthusiast many options, from upgrading to higher power levels later, to using the infinitely variable nature of turbocharging's boost levels to adapt power flow on the fly. With turbocharging, we can build a complete curve of power levels available on the same vehicle, whereas supercharging is limited to one fixed, pre-set power level which requires mechanical changes to alter.

In a turbocharged machine, we can not only enjoy multiple boost/power levels at the flick of a dash switch, we can also automate them to automatically reduce power at lower speeds so as to enhance traction in the quite traction-limited environment of the Slingshot. We can therefore completely manage power to suit available traciton, whcih improves with vehicle speed. Our history of world records and championships in such disciplines has empowered us greatly to authoritatively manage this aspect on Slingshot. Supercharging offers no such capability.

Further to the versatility of tubocharging, the Precision turbo we use is effective all the way out to 520 engine HP. Should one ever need to exceed that, numerous other Precision models exist that will bolt-in and go.

This video link takes you to an on-road comparison of turbocharger boost production at low and midrange RPM.

As the video helps illustrate, a nice side bonus for turbocharging is that compared to the centrifugal superchargers used on Slingshot, we develop more low and midrange torque with turbocharging. As this dyno comparison shows. Incidentally, this comparo uses published information from the companies illustrated, for true objectivity:

Efficiency:
    As opposed to a supercharger, which draws power from the crankshaft to drive the supercharger unit, turbocharging instead recovers otherwise-wasted exhaust heat energy. This is another reason it is preferred by today's OEM engineers, as it enables them to extract more from a gallon of gas. To this end, in order for a supercharger system to match a turbocharger's output, if both make the same power at the crank or wheels, the supercharged engine will actually be forced to create an additional 30HP just to drive the supercharger. Since that additional power required is consumed by the supercharger drive, it doesn't get to the wheels, but it is nonetheless still experienced by the engine.

Today's racing scene is absolutely dominated by turbochargers, for all of the above reasons. In order for superchargers to remain competitive in classes where turbochargers are allowed, numerous concessions must be made by the turbocharged machines, specific limitations incurred so they don't just run away with it and obsoletize the superchargers overnight.

• I'd be interested, but I need to talk to Bill about end state how I want this set up and if this is the wrong direction. Obviously more interested in the 10-unit price as well. I'm more worried about the engine block and not having all the forged parts in place though. If you all are shy on the 10 unit pricing, give me a yell.

Hey, @WrongWheelDrive... I didn't realize where you were. Need to catch up with you. You may be only 45 minutes away from us. We're 20 minutes from Crossgates Mall.

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• I'd be interested, but I need to talk to Bill about end state how I want this set up and if this is the wrong direction. Obviously more interested in the 10-unit price as well. I'm more worried about the engine block and not having all the forged parts in place though. If you all are shy on the 10 unit pricing, give me a yell.

Hey, @WrongWheelDrive... I didn't realize where you were. Need to catch up with you. You may be only 45 minutes away from us. We're 20 minutes from Crossgates Mall.

Yeah we are pretty close, I work in Albany which is even closer to you.

• Yeah we are pretty close, I work in Albany which is even closer to you.

Sent you an email with contact info. Worked in down town for 5 years on State St. We are 25 min. from down town past Delmar out by Thacher Park.

Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

Hi there! Sure, let's set up a communique. You can PM me, or if you'd prefer a phone call, PM me your contact data and I'll ring you up. Thanks for the keen interest!

• Hi there! Sure, let's set up a communique. You can PM me, or if you'd prefer a phone call, PM me your contact data and I'll ring you up. Thanks for the keen interest!

Thanks Bill! Sent you an email and left you two voice mails. I'll wait until you have time. Thanks!

• What is the target date you are looking for this buy? I'm interested in the 10 buy, but still need to talk to Bill at some point.

• Bill,
    I would be interested in seeing this chart with stock HP and Torque on there as well.

Thanksk
    John

John
    2017 SL LE Midnight Cherry
    :COILOVERSS::TURBOSS::MOTOROILSS::FILTERSS::COLDAIRSS::DONKEYSS:

• What is the target date you are looking for this buy? I'm interested in the 10 buy, but still need to talk to Bill at some point.

We're pulling the trigger today. So let's hit all the bases!

Thanks to popular demand, we've decided to add our Turbo Exhaust Systems and TurboSystem Options to the Group Buy as well. The Group Buy discount code will apply across all of these items, as well as the turbosystems themselves. That discount code is "SSTgroupbuy", and can save as much as one thousand dollars or more on a fully optioned system!

Of course, all the Stage 2/2X TurboSystems will include our new Gen2 Intercooler as standard equipment.

Additionally, some new excitement...our StreetRace Billet Intake Manifold and PortFueler EMS are also now in the bidding, at the same discount levels of 10% and 20%. These impressive new products can be supplied as standard equipment on these GroupBuy TurboSystems, and I'll have more pricing data on this shortly....it's surprisingly not as much as one might imagine! More to come.

So, we have thirty days, until February 19th, to gather up between five and ten participants, the total of which will determine the discount as shown below. Joining the group consists of visiting our website and placing your order. We will keep Group members apprised as the count increases. When we hit ten members, we'll rebate the additional 10% to the first nine members. You'll note I say when, not if. There is no "if"...IF we all bust our tails to fill the ten member target. The way I see it, what better carrot to dangle in front of the first nine members than to get them in on spreading the word, in heady anticipation of their rebate$ of hundred$ of dollar$ each?

March 21st is the end of the 30-day window for shipping, so all SST Group Buy TurboSystems will have shipped by then.

So, away we go...interested and prospective members, you can get on board anytime starting at this link. I'm here on this thread to answer questions; shy types are invited to PM me if they prefer ;)

I'm also available, ready and willing for telephone consultation. Just PM me know your number, and a good time window to call and we'll get together.

And so the Die is Cast...Let the boosted times roll, and save some serious cheese, in our first-ever Group Buy for SST TurboSystems!

Here's the pricing and links:

For five orders in the Group Buy (click the links below to learn more):

Stage 1 SST SlingShot TurboSystem: regularly $2699, Group Buy 5-unit price: $2429.10!

Stage 2/2X SlingShot TurboSystem: regularly $3399, Group Buy 5-unit price: $3059.10!

Should we attain TEN orders, here's the pricing:

Stage 1 SST SlingShot TurboSystem: regularly $2699, Group Buy 10-unit price: $2159.20!

Stage 2/2X SlingShot TurboSystem: regularly $3399, Group Buy 10-unit price: $2719.20!

All Stage 2/2X TurboSystems include our brand-new Gen 2 Upgraded Intercooler, as seen at this link. You can also view it at this video.

• Because this is a pay first type of thing it looks like...is it you pay full price then hope others order behind you, and you refund the difference? The price point (especially the 10 order) is a super deal and id be 100% in, but having to pay up front and maybe getting stuck with the full non sale cost is like rolling the dice. Maybe I read it wrong just looking for clarification.

For me anyway the money saved Id use to order all the extra options available in the kit lol. Do you have any sound clips of the 3 different exhausts? I see the side exit one in a lot of videos but the other 2 I was curious? Is the race louder then the 1320 header/exhaust combo?

• Bill,

Some questions about your kits:

1. What would be needed to boost my 2016.5 SL LE to 250+- 300 WHP with your kits? (Not sure if SS's distributed in Canada are different than the US models?)
    2. Should i be adding your kits to a built engine only or can a stock one be used?
    3. Is the sidepipe dual exhaust the best STREET pipes to buy (for street use only) for your kits to keep the noise down. (Speed and performance is what i want, i get the attention already when people see the car, i don't need enforcement people finding me by noise)
    4. If #3 is selected above should i consider getting the baffle kit as well? Happy wife happy life (Yup the wife hangs with me when we cruise, so if excessive noise is on her side i will be hearing it) I know there will be more noise but trying to avoid intense excessive noise.
    5. Speed boost? Does that do what the failsafe feature would do as well? Or should i get both the Speed boost and #9 below.

To Manage and "control" things should some of the other options be considered as well such as:

6. New Streetrace manifold, can i assume that this would replace the one in your 2X kit?
    7. New portfueler EMS does this avoid the Stock PCM tune requirement?
    8. Kinda a strong question but i need to ask, when you say you have a "new" product what does that mean? Can i assume you have tested it quite a bit?
    9. Forced induction gauge console to visually look at things and support the failsafe feature?

I tried the turbo kit group buy coupon over the weekend and it didn't work? Perhaps it's something at my end?

Eager to get my recent group buy of the QA1's installed...

Thanks in advance,

Todd from BC, Canada just North of Seattle.

• Because this is a pay first type of thing it looks like...is it you pay full price then hope others order behind you, and you refund the difference? The price point (especially the 10 order) is a super deal and id be 100% in, but having to pay up front and maybe getting stuck with the full non sale cost is like rolling the dice. Maybe I read it wrong just looking for clarification.

For me anyway the money saved Id use to order all the extra options available in the kit lol. Do you have any sound clips of the 3 different exhausts? I see the side exit one in a lot of videos but the other 2 I was curious? Is the race louder then the 1320 header/exhaust combo?

I'm in the same boat... waiting to see how many he has. I could probably lesson the yelling I'm going to endure from the wife by saying I saved 20% LOL. Just need to know we are going to get there.

I had some of the same questions and spoke to Bill by phone this past weekend. Thanks Bill! I did email back about exhaust as I see you are building a new option (or looks like you are) on the web site. I like the Walter exhaust, but need to see what Bill is doing with these new products.

@soluga, I don't want to answer for Bill, but I did have the same questions and from my talks with him you are covered from all angles. I'll let him give all the details.

• @soluga: Answers to your questions below...and a handy link to a page which describes the Hahn SST TurboSystem Options and Upgrades in more detail

1. What would be needed to boost my 2016.5 SL LE to 250+- 300 WHP with your kits? (Not sure if SS's distributed in Canada are different than the US models?)

To the best of our knowledge, Canada-spec Slings do not differ in the engine region. You'd want our Stage 2/2X SST TurboSystem.

2. Should i be adding your kits to a built engine only or can a stock one be used?

At the Stage 1 and Stage 2/2X standard power levels, a stock engine is suitable. For what it's worth, a Stage 2/2X will also handily support considerably more power on a built engine.

3. Is the sidepipe dual exhaust the best STREET pipes to buy (for street use only) for your kits to keep the noise down. (Speed and performance is what i want, i get the attention already when people see the car, i don't need enforcement people finding me by noise)

4. If #3 is selected above should i consider getting the baffle kit as well? Happy wife happy life (Yup the wife hangs with me when we cruise, so if excessive noise is on her side i will be hearing it) I know there will be more noise but trying to avoid intense excessive noise.

Yes, the SidePipes are the quietest option, even quieter with the baffle kit. Exiting the exhaust to the side is very effective in that it eliminates the reflected sound off the pavement which bottom-exit exhausts cause.

5. Speed boost? Does that do what the failsafe feature would do as well? Or should i get both the Speed boost and #9 below.

You can view an explanation of SpeedBoost GPS here. Yes, we can incorporate its function into FailSafe Gauge operation.

To Manage and "control" things should some of the other options be considered as well such as:

6. New Streetrace manifold, can i assume that this would replace the one in your 2X kit?

The StreetRace Intake Manifold is effectively an option on our TurboSystems, and also available separately. What it replaces when added to a TurboSystem is the exquisite throttle body plenum. On the plus side, this swap does help defray the cost of the manifold to a degree.

7. New portfueler EMS does this avoid the Stock PCM tune requirement?

Yes, in that it eliminates the need to re-flash the stock PCM. When PortFueler EMS is utilized, the stock PCM tune, stock injectors and stock one-bar MAP sensor all stay in place.

8. Kinda a strong question but i need to ask, when you say you have a "new" product what does that mean? Can i assume you have tested it quite a bit?

Absolutely. We take great pride in the fact that forced induction performance is and has been our mainstay for the whole of our 30 years of operation, and we take great care in assuring that our products are thoroughly validated and highly developed. Street, track and dyno testing occur year-round for us here in Florida, and I won't put my family name on anything that isn't up to the high standard.

9. Forced induction gauge console to visually look at things and support the failsafe feature?

Always a great idea, and with all the info the console packs, monitoring not only boost and air/fuel ratio but also coolant temp and oil pressure, it's got basically all one needs. We can integrate the FailSafe function nicely into the SST TurboSystem and its SpeedBoost GPS (if so equipped).

I tried the turbo kit group buy coupon over the weekend and it didn't work? Perhaps it's something at my end?

I took a look, and I noted that the powder coating options had not been added to the discount parameters...perhaps that was what held you back. In any case, please give it another go, and if you have any more issues, let me know. Thanks for calling this to my attention, and thanks for not only your interest but also your incisive questions, which I'm sure will help all gain a greater understanding.

A valid concern, no one wants to wait and still pay full price! What I can offer is this...in the unlikely instance that we don't even get five (much less ten) participants, I'll still extend the 10% discount to all who have ante-ed up. So if we sell one, two, three or four on this Group Buy, I'm not going to disappoint anyone when that 30 days has transpired. If one joins, one is locked into a minimum 10% discount, and has a chance at 20% if the group fills completely.

We don't have sound clips per se of the various options, but here's a link to our Slingshot Video Playlist.

To put the exhausts in perspective, the SidePipes are the quietest, the StreetRace the medium, and the FullRace the loudest. StreetRace with the baffle kit is pretty decent if one's looking to go economical but still wishes to walk softly with their big boost stick :D

• I'm in the same boat... waiting to see how many he has. I could probably lesson the yelling I'm going to endure from the wife by saying I saved 20% LOL. Just need to know we are going to get there.
    I had some of the same questions and spoke to Bill by phone this past weekend. Thanks Bill! I did email back about exhaust as I see you are building a new option (or looks like you are) on the web site. I like the Walter exhaust, but need to see what Bill is doing with these new products.

Thanks! While we are about to release a new exhaust system for standard Slingshots (sans turbos), we're pretty content with the three options we offer currently for the SST TurboSystem. Via our many options, we try to make every SST purchase an opportunity to personalize the system to meet one's own mission objectives, and it's been a really effective approach for our customers to date. Some get the base setup, some go hog-wild with extras, still more find a balance point somewhere in between.

I should add that Welter does offer an iteration of their popular rear-exit exhaust that is compatible with Hahn SST TurboSystems, so that's an option to consider as well. So there's even more of that versatility: a total of FOUR different choices in exhaust for Hahn SST TurboSystems!

• Thanks! While we are about to release a new exhaust system for standard Slingshots (sans turbos), we're pretty content with the three options we offer currently for the SST TurboSystem. Via our many options, we try to make every SST purchase an opportunity to personalize the system to meet one's own mission objectives, and it's been a really effective approach for our customers to date. Some get the base setup, some go hog-wild with extras, still more find a balance point somewhere in between.
    I should add that Welter does offer an iteration of their popular rear-exit exhaust that is compatible with Hahn SST TurboSystems, so that's an option to consider as well. So there's even more of that versatility: a total of FOUR different choices in exhaust for Hahn SST TurboSystems!

Thanks Bill. And according to your and my call, any CAN be put on the stock engine and tuned "down". I'd like to go with a forged engine, but don't have it yet, so wanted the options to tune it up when that comes in. And I think your port filler is what... $1K, but you end up saving the $400 from the chip flash as that isn't needed then, so it's more so a $600 option, no?

@WrongWheelDrive... can always have a rebuild weekend LOL. You aren't that far from me.

Edited once, last by SaltyClownNY ().

• Thanks Bill. And according to your and my call, any CAN be put on the stock engine and tuned "down". I'd like to go with a forged engine, but don't have it yet, so wanted to options to tune it up when that comes in. And I think your port filler is what... $1K, but you end up saving the $400 from the chip flash as that isn't needed then, so it's more so a $600 option, no?
    @WrongWheelDrive... can always have a rebuild weekend LOL. You aren't that far from me.

You're most welcome! And yes, you make a very valid point about how since PortFueler EMS precludes the need for a $400 PCM flash, so yes...it's basically a $600 option insofar as overall costs. I should also point out that in order to use PortFueler EMS, the StreetRace Manifold must be utilized...but as mentioned above, since it replaces the TurboRam plenum that is conventionally included in an SST TurboSystem, a similar offsetting savings is realized.

That said, adding PortFueler EMS and StreetRace Intake Manifold to a new TurboSystem purchase will add a total of $1800 at MSRP, or $1620 at the 5-unit price, or $1440 at the ten-unit price. With the fact that the reflash is not required, that saves an additional $400...so adding PortFueler/StreetRace has a true end-cost of adding $1400 at the 5-unit price, or $1040 at the ten-unit price.

A fair additional investment, but when offsetting costs are factored in, actually a pretty damn good deal...more power, more bling, way more features, better driveability...and the ability to support more power already in place should one ever move up to a built engine in the future.