2019 Slingshot Calendar (official thread)

• WOW @Ross Just got mine inspite of the weather in snowy Canada, and couldn,t be happier, what a professional job!! the best edited professional calenders in the world have nothing on this one man, YOU GUYS NAILED IT !!! That cover is to die for !!

will you be publishing a list of all the featured monthly cars with the names of the owners? I recognize half of them from those Ive met at the rallies and on the forums but cant place names or forum names to the other half. Will we be getting a list ? or do we just wait for guys to post their bragging rights, they are all well, well deserved.

• @Ross The calendar is spectacular. It exceeded my expectations. Can’t thank you enough for the hard work you put into this and the sacrifice of your time. Can’t wait to put mine in my office. Beats the heck out of the UPS calendar we got yesterday.

• @Ross The calendar is spectacular. It exceeded my expectations. Can’t thank you enough for the hard work you put into this and the sacrifice of your time. Can’t wait to put mine in my office. Beats the heck out of the UPS calendar we got yesterday.

awesome - glad to hear you're going to enjoy 365 days of Slingshots

Take that UPS calendar booo yaaaa

• Here is a problem I often run into with friends who want to print from their iPhones ..... they know they have a large resolution and the dimensions (image size) for printing a big photo but those photos look less than desired when they try to print big photos at Walgreens.

Even though your iPhone snaps pictures at pretty decent resolutions (2048x1536 from the 3GS, 1600x1200 on previous iPhone versions), your device automatically resizes photos to a measly 800x600 when you go to email them (with that size anything bigger than a 3x4 photo and you'll probably see the loss in detail and stratch your head wondering why it looked so good on your phone and so bad on paper).

Here's how to fix that.

The resizing only happens when you share photos from your photo library via your iPhone's "Share button" The "Share button" imports the resized pictures into an empty email. Instead of doing that, tap and hold on a single picture and then tap copy or select multiple pictures in album view and tap the Copy button at the bottom of your screen. Then head back to the home screen, fire up Mail, compose a new email, and paste the photos into the new message. Rather than the smaller, resized pictures, you'll get the full resolution versions.

Now, I expect to see more full resolution version iPhone pictures for the 2019 calendar

• Someone asked that I share more of the technical aspects to what I look for when picking photos for the calendar.

Beyond that a lot of folks that submitted photos shared a story which lead to how and where I placed the photo I was looking for photos that could stand up to the requirements needed for the larger printing we were doing this year as compared to last year. Then, of course, I was looking to match themes of the holidays or occasions in the month itself ... red, white, and blue for July - race or movement photos for May for the start of racing season, etc.

Here's some of my knowledge and some stuff from the internet ....

Photos from your phone can often be as good or better than a professional camera (well except maybe flip phones ... LOL). You don't have to have a DSLR/fancy camera to get your photos into the calendar. When I had my own studio I was lucky enough to have a couple of younger kids that loved photography and tagged along on lots of photo shoots - like most kids they wanted the latest and greatest and saw no use in carrying around a pocket camera - but I am here to tell you just as I told them and is an old photography saying .... the best camera to have is the camera you have with you.

Smart phones can be better than a lot of older cameras (for the purpose of grabbing a quick pick) because they capture photos at a higher resolution and at a larger size - those are key if you want to print out that photo and get more important as you move up from a wallet size photo to a 24x36 or even larger.

For printing it is all about DPI (dots per inch) - the more DPI the cleaner the photo looks because there is more detail and sharpness. Printing at 300 DPI is standard. I aim for 320 DPI and use 300 DPI as my low end but some think that 150 is ok. But DPI doesn’t equate to digital because it’s a print measure.

Resolution is how we measure the number of pixels in a display/screen, expressed in measurements of width x height. For example my Samsung S8 has a 2960x1440 resolution which means it is 2960 pixels across and 1440 pixels down. Higher resolution means more detail. Higher DPI also means higher resolution but resolution itself is not “size” (it’s often mistaken with size because higher resolution images are often bigger (but not always)).

An image might look huge on your phone or even your computer but it still may print out quite small - that's because your screen resolution will also dictate how big the picture appears to you when viewing it. For example, a screen set to 1024x768 will show a 1024 pixel wide by 800-pixel tall image as a full-screen image but on a screen that is 1920x1080 the image will only take part of the screen. Long story short, the image will look much smaller on that screen even though the image is the same size because the screen has higher resolution.

Here are a couple of quick examples to show you the difference, no matter what your screen resolution. The standard DPI for many images on the internet is 72 DPI. The first example below on the left has a lot of detail and is at 300 DPI. The example on the right is at 72 DPI but scaled up to the same size so you can see the difference in detail. However, that actual image would be about 1/4 the size when you go from 300 DPI to 72 DPI, but at the same height and width is where you can actually see the difference.

This is why that digital camera with higher megapixels takes better pictures than one with lower megapixels ..... because it gives you more resolution to capture more detail. Here is how megapixels stack up to print size

Megapixels Image Size (pixels) Printed Size (inches) *
    2.0 1224 x 1632 6.1 x 8.2
    3.0 1536 x 2048 7.7 x 10.2
    4.0 1704 x 2272 8.5 x 11.4
    5.0 1944 x 2592 9.7 x 13.0
    6.0 2048 x 3072 10.2 x 15.4
    8.0 2236 x 3504 11.2 x 17.5

If you have spent a lot of time printing photos this is all easy for you and part of what you know and how you go about it. For folks that haven't had to worry about it, it can be a lot to take in - I will try to post more to make it easier for everyone to post high resolution photos that can be used to print larger photos ... like in the calendar

• Or.... Just get an Android that isn't iPhone dumb... :P

Seriously, I had to email Ross 3 or 4 pictures at a time because they were each like 5mb and the email allowed a max of like 20mb... Think I sent him like 8 emails... 8|

Thank you Google Pixel XL... :thumbsup:

• Or.... Just get an Android that isn't iPhone dumb... :P

Seriously, I had to email Ross 3 or 4 pictures at a time because they were each like 5mb and the email allowed a max of like 20mb... Think I sent him like 8 emails... 8|

Thank you Google Pixel XL... :thumbsup:

it's so much easier to have the flexibility to crop and make adjustments when you have a high resolution photo that I would rather have several emails with a few usable photos than one email with lots of photos with low resolution

Makes it easier to remove bugs in the front grill, spoiler, nose cone, windshield, and rocks stuck in tire treads

• When making submissions for the 2019 calendar please be sure to tell me your forum name and if you are submitting a photo of someone else's slingshot or if multiple slingshots are in the photo please tell me who they are so we can give credits out!!!!!

• it's so much easier to have the flexibility to crop and make adjustments when you have a high resolution photo that I would rather have several emails with a few usable photos than one email with lots of photos with low resolution
    Makes it easier to remove bugs in the front grill, spoiler, nose cone, windshield, and rocks stuck in tire treads

I like my "BUGS" shows I've been moving down the road....

• When making submissions for the 2019 calendar please be sure to tell me your forum name and if you are submitting a photo of someone else's slingshot or if multiple slingshots are in the photo please tell me who they are so we can give credits out!!!!!

Thats no fun. I like it better when you have to guess.

• If you have ideas for layout, things you want to see, things you don't want to see - feel free to let me know

I am going to work on getting some different stuff for you this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Big kudos to @MWSlingshot for submitting the first photo for consideration for the 2019 calendar!!!!!

I want to take this opportunity to remind you to submit photos to 2019slingshotcalendar@gmail

I also want to challenge you to only submit photos taken in December 2017 or in 2018 - it's not a hard and fast rule