Was it all that bad?

• My mom's response was classic, she said, "don't you guys have anything better to do". I'll never forget that

Your MOMS AWESOME! I told a Cop to go home and beat his wife and he threatened to arrest me....

I Have No more toys, just memories.... :/

• Yep, never wanted Dad to bring on the discipline. He would explain why we were about to recieve an education in life. He made sure we understood the reason, what he expected of us in the future, and what would not be tolerated. Any area of the backside from shoulder blade to back of knees was acceptable, but buttocks were most concentrated. If you put your hands up to defend, those were self-inflicted wounds and would always carry an extra whack to the backside. Depending on the offense, it was a belt or a switch (a willow-like limb from a tree). You knew it was gonna be bad if he sent you to the tree to get your own switch. His comment, "Get a good one or I will pick it out." Was never really sure of his reasoning for "picking our own"... if it was to allow us time to think about what we had done or to see what we were willing to accept as discipline... either way, it was always hard to see the limbs for the tears. You always knew when the talking was done when you heard him say, "This is gonna hurt me more than it does you." At the time as a child, that never made sense... then my kids enlightened me. I made my Dad cry and my kids made me cry. My Dad passed away from cancer in 1995, one year after I retired from the military and I had moved back to his home town. My Dad set the path for me, and with the help of friends and family, I have been walking that path since I was seventeen. Thank you Dad for every lesson I had to learn the hard way, love ya!

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Yep, never wanted Dad to bring on the discipline. He would explain why we were about to recieve an education in life. He made sure we understood the reason, what he expected of us in the future, and what would not be tolerated. Any area of the backside from shoulder blade to back of knees was acceptable, but buttocks were most concentrated. If you put your hands up to defend, those were self-inflicted wounds and would always carry an extra whack to the backside. Depending on the offense, it was a belt or a switch (a willow-like limb from a tree). You knew it was gonna be bad if he sent you to the tree to get your own switch. His comment, "Get a good one or I will pick it out." Was never really sure of his reasoning for "picking our own"... if it was to allow us time to think about what we had done or to see what we were willing to accept as discipline... either way, it was always hard to see the limbs for the tears. You always knew when the talking was done when you heard him say, "This is gonna hurt me more than it does you." At the time as a child, that never made sense... then my kids enlightened me. I made my Dad cry and my kids made me cry. My Dad passed away from cancer in 1995, one year after I retired from the military and I had moved back to his home town. My Dad set the path for me, and with the help of friends and family, I have been walking that path since I was seventeen. Thank you Dad for every lesson I had to learn the hard way, love ya!

I can still remember the time I brought my mom and dad to tears at the same time. We had company at the house and they brought their kids with them to keep me company and, hopefully, out of mischief. Of course, that didn't work! I was caught being the "badass child" that I was, and was sent out to fetch my own whipping switch! Balling my eyes out, I knew this was going to be the ass-whoppin' of a lifetime. I had broken the cardinal rule..."Don't act up when we have company!" I proceeded into the backwoods to find my "just due"!! I didn't dare bring back a wimpy switch, because I knew the consequences would be worst. I found, what I thought, would do the trick. This limb was bigger than me, but I knew that I had truly pissed off my parents. So, here I come, out of the woods, across the front lawn, crying my eyes out as only a bad-ass 6-year old can do, dragging a small tree that would make Paul Bunyan smile. On the front porch, stood all of my folk's company with my parents standing in front. I was too busy crying and pleading my case to notice everybody laughing. My dad took one look at the "tree-switch" that I had brought, and turned around to everyone and said..."He may be my youngest, and he might not be the brightest cookie of the bunch, but he still knows how to make his daddy's day!" My parents were laughing so hard, they had tears in their eyes. I'm still here, so I obviously didn't get the beatdown I deserved. He did, however, provide me with enough "motivation" to never "act up when we have company"! I just buried my father in April of last year, and I'm still living the lessons he taught me. My message to everyone...Stay true to your roots and don't be afraid to "share" those lesson we were all taught. What's that old saying??? "Beat what you grow" or is it "You reap what you sow"???? Either way, take care of what you have at home, and you won't have to worry about someone else taking care of it for you.

• Yep, never wanted Dad to bring on the discipline. He would explain why we were about to recieve an education in life. He made sure we understood the reason, what he expected of us in the future, and what would not be tolerated.........

My Dad passed away from cancer in 1995, one year after I retired from the military and I had moved back to his home town. My Dad set the path for me, and with the help of friends and family, I have been walking that path since I was seventeen. Thank you Dad for every lesson I had to learn the hard way, love ya!

Unfortunately, I did not get to meet my father in law... have never heard an ill word spoken of him. Steve and his brothers are all good men, with good morals and hearts. They ALL followed in their dads footsteps and made military their careers. He was obviously a strong role model, and parent... and they all chose that path on their own, to create the same life as their dad. 65 years of combined service between the 4 of them. I can say without hesitation, my father in law is extremely proud of all his sons.

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• As for my parents... they were strict. My dad gave us what he called "old fashioned whippings" where we were told to "assume the position" and that meant bend over grab your knees and dont let go... today he wouldve been put in jail. Not angry at all about it, and I appreciate what they tried to accomplish with the tiny humans they were responsible for. My sister and I worked on our farm, doing the same work as the adults, me at 6 and her at 12. 2 layer houses, cows, was also chow dog breeders, garden, and regular yard and housework. We always worked alongside the adults, and didnt get an "allowance", we got toys, clothes, and big Christmases... I never got the pony i requested but... i did get a pet goat. 8o

Mother walked around the corner of the chicken house one day while my sister and i were squabbling... and i called her a "butthole".. not knowing my mother was behind me, I heard "what did you just say? " my punishment was CHEWING half a bar of soap... yes, i had to Chew. It. Up. Then I got to spit it out... i had soap in my teeth for the longest time and everything i ate was soap flavored... <X never said another ugly word without looking over my shoulder again!

Alot has changed just since the gen x'ers... i consider myself the last of the best generations. (Looking over my shoulder)I'm damn grateful not be apart of the shamelessly entitled millenial generation.... :!:

• and I thought m mother was the only "Queen of the Soap Bar". BTW- my flavor was the soap called "Sweetheart" soap. oval bar, made by the Manhattan soap co. (bought out by Purex, and soap is no longer available)

lol... mine was the used bar out of the shower... she certainly wasnt going to waste a new one. It was irish spring... i did get to sample one of those "Home Decor" soap on a rope once... it was pink... but definitely still soap. :|

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• mine was the used bar out of the shower... she certainly wasnt going to waste a new one

seems I remember that a lot of of soap bars at our bathroom sink had teeth marks in them.......
    I guess I haven't changed much- still have a sharp tongue.
    BTW- my son, who is 29 now, had his fair share of soap as a child. In my opinion, he has turned out to be an outstanding Young man, and actually-a far better person than I was at his age

• seems I remember that a lot of of soap bars at our bathroom sink had teeth marks in them.......I guess I haven't changed much- still have a sharp tongue.
    BTW- my son, who is 29 now, had his fair share of soap as a child. In my opinion, he has turned out to be an outstanding Young man, and actually-a far better person than I was at his age

good job moms! Not every youngin is the stereotypic millenial...

• Not every youngin is the stereotypic millenial

It's kind of funny, when I think back to my son's early childhood. He wanted to be a Cub Scout-naturally, there were no Cub Scout groups in our area. We all came to a recruiting meeting. There were many parents there, but when the speaker said "with no leaders, there can be no pack", almost no one raised their hand and volunteered. (well almost no one-I'll try anything once.) So we had a new Cub Scout pack, and I was one of the den leaders. My son was in second grade, and we were well on our way-happy kids, happy parents, and lots of new adventures. School was slightly more challenging. My son was struggling with math. ( this was long before the new math that I can't do.) His teacher gave these "3 minute math tests"- 60 problems, three minutes timed. My son was not passing them. Being what I thought was a good parent, we started practicing at home, trying to make a game out of it. Although Clay hated them, he improved greatly. What I did not know- he had practiced them so much- he had not learned the mathematical skills, but had simply memorized the answers. One day at school, they had another three minutes math test. Clay totally flunked it- he disintegrated into tears-saying "these aren't the right problems". (that's when I found out he was very good at memorization, but not so great at math.) During a subsequent phone call from the teacher- she decided that my parenting skills were way too strict, and threatened to call CPS. I think I threatened to report her to the Board of Education for stupidity. As I look back, I think this was the pivotal point of my involvement in ensuring my kid got a good education.
    At any rate, Clay and I continued to work on the math, and he got much better. Never liked the subject, but ended up taking AP Calculus in high school, so I guess he finally got it! He ended up being a high school teacher, and is head of the foreign language department, and is as responsible as the day is long!
    (okay mama brag over)