Whine/Squeak while accelerating

• Have searched the forum and cannot find info anywhere. While accelerating in 1st and 2nd gear there is a loud whine or squeak coming from the rear end. Easiest way to explain I️t is a constant belt squeak. I️ did not notice I️t but at first. My wife texted me and told me that my slingshot sounded sick... not real sure where to start. The great dealer told me I️t would be a few weeks before I️ can get in to get I️t looked at and also to have warranty work done.

The noise is kinda one of those embarrassing ones. Any thought or ideas.

Keep the dirty side down.

• If it’s constant, belt is probably misaligned & the edge is rubbing against the side of the pulley.

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

Edited once, last by Tripod ().

• Post a picture of your belt resting on the rear pulley and clean it really good with some mild soap and a bunch of water.

Drive on any dirt roads lately?

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• Sometimes, all you need is a good bottle of water. Roll the machine forward and spray a bunch of water. I had to do this a couple of times on long road trips. I HATE belt squeal!

• @arosejr search for angle drive noise and you should get a few hits. Very common problem.

How many miles do you have on yours? There is a "break in" period then it should get better if it is the angle drive.

Best of luck..

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

• Post a picture of your belt resting on the rear pulley and clean it really good with some mild soap and a bunch of water.

Drive on any dirt roads lately?

Hasn’t been on dirt roads but has seen gravel roads. And may have been airborne at one point too...

Keep the dirty side down.

• Oh crap. OK, break in period is long over. Sounds like the belt or angle drive. test the tension.. you should get a good 1/4 flex in the belt when you push down on it.

I would do the cleaning suggested and see if it helps. Sounds like belt is too tight.

Dealer should be able to adjust quickly.

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

• Hasn’t been on dirt roads but has seen gravel roads. And may have been airborne at one point too...

Dirt and gravel roads are the same thing in my book. Driving on these type of roads makes the belt dirty and will squeal much earlier and louder than normal asphalt/paved driving.

Sounds like a cleaning should help.