DIY proposal to allow extended-range hood opening

• I had originally posted this in a different thread, but felt I should create a dedicated thread for this idea.

Original post - ...I haven't bought any extended hood opening hinges, but when I was removing my hood for my turbo install, I wondered if it was possible to remove the long bolt that engages the front latch and use the remaining front hinge bolt to function as a hinge allowing the hood to beopened further forward. Some solid props would be needed to ensure the hood doesn't move or flex and cause damage to the hood. I have attached a PDF file trying to show what would need to be done.
    CheapieHoodHingeMod.pdf

I added a second PDF that tries to further explain the inexpensive mods that might allow the hood to open more for additional clearance.
    DIY-ExtendedHoodOpening.pdf

Additional comments - I must emphasize I have not checked clearances for the hood where it attaches to the hinge bracket using the short hinge bolts. This approach may place extra stress on the hood at the short bolt attachment points. Firm hood supports that will NOT come loose will be needed to help protect the hood at the short bolt attachment points. Because of the potential stresses at the short bolt attachment points, I definitely would not recommend anyone drive or move their Slingshot unless all 4 hood hinge bolts are properly tightened.

A possibly better alternative to unthreading and removing the extended bolts/sleeves and washers every time you want additional under-hood space might be the creation of a quick-disconnect bolt/piece to replace that bolt. Vendors?

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I have a question about something I see in the #1 pictures in both links....unrelated to the topic.

Top left of the picture. What is the extension looking nut attached to the end of the hood assist shock? I need that on mine to keep the shock from rubbing on my frame...

• I have a question about something I see in the #1 pictures in both links....unrelated to the topic.

Top left of the picture. What is the extension looking nut attached to the end of the hood assist shock? I need that on mine to keep the shock from rubbing on my frame...

This thread from the Dark Side was the original thread on using gas cylinders to assist opening the hood. Post # 1 has some excellent pics and post # 8 has some descriptive info and a link to a source. Putting shocks on Hood really helps opening. Just finished | Polaris Slingshot Forum

• @BKL do you know if anyone has applied this gas cylinder approach with the extended hinges for the hood?

I followed that thread to install my gas-assist cartridges last year, but I don't have the extended-opening hood hinges.
    I located 2 different extended-opening hood hinges (from DDMWorks and MadStad) and both come with a gas-assist cartridge, so I'm afraid I don't quite understand your question. Both kits appear to offer gas cartridges for one side, but I prefer having cartridges on each side since I think that balances things with force on both sides instead of just one.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I should have been more clear. Yes, they come with one, was curious about adding one to drivers side. Sorry about the lack of info.