Brake pedal was soft. Fixed it unintentionally.

• This may help someone else.

My brake pedal was feeling soft and had quite a bit of travel before it really started grabbing.

I was losing confidence in it and wanted to make sure that if I had to stomp on it in an emergency that the ABS would kick in to bring me to a halt as quickly as possible.

So I made 3 or 4 practice hard stops (in a safe place), and the ABS did kick in when the pedal was just about to the floor.

But after my last stop, I noticed that the brake pedal was suddenly feeling much firmer and was engaging considerably closer to the top. And it stayed that way, long after the brakes would have cooled down.

There's probably some logical explanation related to the ABS purging some air or something??? I was happy that it basically fixed itself!

• Nice work. That is one way while others have bled the breaks themselves and others have forced their servicing dealer to preform it under warranty initally or with the last set of recalls. In any event have good breaks is always a good thing

• You are correct sir. But finding a place to safely lock 'em up, or finding a gravel road isn't always easy or without side effects (kicking up stones or rock and damaging the paint. An easy way to find a road that does not have a guardrail to worry about. Drive at speeds (excess of 40 mph is fine) and put the right front wheel onto the grass and lock up the brakes. That will engage the abs module. Repeat a second time with the left front wheel (and if possible, the rear as well on the grass) You should have a good pedal and a simple bleeding the brakes afterwards will keep that harder feel to the pedal.

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• I felt the brakes had enough power to stop me in time even if the ABS hadn't engaged. I used a quiet stretch of straight paved road and was only travelling at about 30 mph when I stomped on the brake hard. No scary skids or anything. The ABS probably didn't engage on all 3 wheels each time, but something in the last stop did the trick... perhaps the needy wheel finally engaged.

• We were lucky in getting A slingShot which already had pretty good brake feel, (definitely no double pumping required), but our dealer made it even better by doing the secondary bleeding, without even asking), when we took it in for the recall work, no force or coercion required.

Bill

• You will still have air in your system - it just moved somewhere else, and will migrate back to the ABS, as it is the highest point. Polaris has a recall for this issue, and you can get your brakes bled for free. The recall is rock solid, and your brakes will be too.