Rear Protection Anyone?

• While the wife was away in London, I thought that I'd finish off the job and did it all by hand, without her help.

I took my time and did things slowly and was very pleased with the result.

It was all very easy and very satisfying, when finished... I'd recommend doing it to anyone, that's considering giving it a go.

Are you talking about wanking??? 8|

• Outstanding @UK_Paul! I have to admit I am proud to be a very small part of your well executed and classy package. I do have a plate out to @philip_mustang in Belgium but I have not heard whether it is installed yet or not. This is truly an international forum!

Oh yeah, that was installed a couple days after it arrived. Didn't I post that :/ ? Just checked my posts and it seems like I didn't :whistling:
    Sorry about that.
    I am really happy with the way it looks and much easier to keep clean.

• I am sorry @UK_Paul I was a bit confused also, is the term torch referring to what we usually call a Flash light. Sorry if I was wrong but just confused.looks great and congrats on good install.

JUST SAYIN

Yes...
    Torch = Flashlight

We, still, call it a torch, as it comes from the idear that a torch was a burning lump, on the end at a stick, in ye-olde days. It still remains a light on a stick, but now with batteries making the light.

Torch - Wikipedia

All the best, from UK_Paul

• I have received a number of enquiries, on various Facebook threads, asking where the rear fender came from.

I installed it, to keep the mud from covering the reversing camara a d son additional sensors, that I mounted, on the rear of the SlingShot. It has been installed for well over a year now and is doing the job fine.

It's an aftermarket item, that only cost, a little over $20USD, deliverd. Making it, possibly the best value fender on the market.

I selected the red option and found that it matches the red of my 16.5 SlingShot, very well indeed.

Rear Seat Fairing Cover Cowl For Honda CBR1000RR 2004-2007 Sale - Banggood Mobile

I used the licence plate support bracket to fix the forwardmost end of the fender, to the underside of the SS and screwed the rear end, through the licence plate.

This was only ever intended to protect the sensors & camara and that is just what it does.

I'm very pleased with the results and now that the rear protection plate is in place, with it the rear of the Sling looks so much better, than standard.

Edited once, last by UK_Paul ().

• How did you mount it?

• I have 3 people who have asked for a rear protection plate in orange madness. I will be powder coating them next week along with some of the new front grills and passenger kick plates. If anyone else is interested, please let me know with a post here or a private message and I'll make sure to make enough for the current interest. There will also be white and, of course, red grills and kick plates available.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• For anyone who may have missed this thread, and the new members here, I am still making these rear protection plates and will be adding orange madness to the lineup.

Prices as follows:

Bare Smooth Aluminum: $55 shipped (ready to paint - will need paint to look finished)
    Bare Diamond Plate: $65 shipped (ready to paint)
    Bare Diamond Plate + Clear Coat: $75 shipped (finished look ready to install)
    Powder Coated Flat(Wrinkle) Black: $75 shipped
    Powder/Clear Coated Gloss Black: $80 shipped
    Powder/Clear Coated Red Pearl: $85 shipped
    Powder/Clear Coated Orange Madness: TBD

All shipped to lower 48. Other locations quoted on request.

These will come pre-drilled for 2 Polaris style push auto-body fasteners (included). They will have 3M tape attached, ready to install. Thanks all!

• How did you mount it?

I moved the Polaris supplied licence plate support back and added 50mm (2") 90' brackets (used to support wooden beams) at the licence plate end.

The black bracket came fitted behind the licence plate. I moved it, as UK platesxarecself supporting. It required a small bend in it to fit, in place. I bolted it the the rear fender and stewed it into the underside, of the bodywork.

The brackets were bolted to both the fender & the licence plate. (We have specially coloured - yellow -nylon bolts in the UK, to use for this as they can not be seen on the yellow licence plates).

The complete assembly has worked well for approximately 18 months now, without any problems.

Edited once, last by UK_Paul ().

• just got an impressive batch of new product today. Luggage racks, rear plates, front grills and passenger kick plates with both my previous logo and the biohazard symbol. My nephew Shawn and his buddy Terry, aka Teabag on the racing circuit, made me this as a bonus. Y'all know you want one. Sorry, for once mine is going to be the biggest!

• just got an impressive batch of new product today. Luggage racks, rear plates, front grills and passenger kick plates with both my previous logo and the biohazard symbol. My nephew Shawn and his buddy Terry, aka Teabag on the racing circuit, made me this as a bonus. Y'all know you want one. Sorry, for once mine is going to be the biggest!

Even though you are standing on a chair - looks awfully unsafe, btw - we all know you're only what, 4'10"? So that makes that new wall hanging, say, 2' across? Not bad, although i don't know if that will qualify you for "biggest" status.
    :00008172:

• Even though you are standing on a chair - looks awfully unsafe, btw - we all know you're only what, 4'10"? So that makes that new wall hanging, say, 2' across? Not bad, although i don't know if that will qualify you for "biggest" status. :00008172:

Really? 1st of all, I'm somewhat over 4' 10 1/2". 2nd, I paid over $17,000 to have that prosthesis surgically attached to my feet. Finally, that bad boy is 42" wide! Show me yours. I'll bet it's MUCH smaller!

The Slingshot logo sign is great!!!! I have to have one of those for the garage!!! How can that happen????

Sent from my SM-N950U using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

Sorry Doug, this looks like the 'before' picture from the OSHA report.

The trouble with bucket seats is not everyone has the same size 'bucket'.

• The Slingshot logo sign is great!!!! I have to have one of those for the garage!!! How can that happen????

This one was made from a large piece of scrap steel from another project. They can be made again but I will have to buy the steel. It can be scaled to any size but will obviously cost more, the larger it is. I plan to powder coat mine and put it on the front of the barn so that would be another cost. Of course, I want red but will settle for black to get the wife's OK (she flat out vetoed the great room wall). It will also have a shipping cost that will increase with size. If you give me the size that would work for your wall, I'll put together the costs. By the way, it is not symmetrical. The one in the pic is 42" wide and 35" tall. As with the other parts I am making, I would need to make them in batches or include them in batches of other parts to get the best price on powder coating so now is the time to get in on this if you are serious. I have 42 pieces going in on Tuesday. I did ask about the cost to reproduce these and my best guesstimate without having the other costs is around $175 all in.

If I was going to scale this for production, I would likely make them 24" wide by 28.8" tall for efficiency of cost and layout on a 4x sheet of steel but I'm not thinking about doing that at this time. Let me know if this is in your ballpark @CDCAMEL6 and I can make it happen!

Sorry Doug, this looks like the 'before' picture from the OSHA report.

Nope. Self-employed and no employees means I have nothing to do with L & I, and keeps my life much simpler. If I go down I'm on my own. :thumbup:

• Can I use self taping screws on each corner plus the 3M tape instead of the push pins. Not sure if I trust the pins compared to a screw which will grip onto the back cover

Ok so who is next. Haters are gonna hate regardless

• Can I use self taping screws on each corner plus the 3M tape instead of the push pins. Not sure if I trust the pins compared to a screw which will grip onto the back cover

I chose the fastener placement based on what I thought would be effective and safe. The plastic gas tank is directly in front of the entire rear panel and I did not feel that any kind of metal fastener protruding through the plastic would be wise. Even though there is a small amount of clearance between the rear panel and the tank, any flex in the panel could cause a fastener to contact and potentially penetrate the tank. This is why I chose to use the plastic push pins, and locate them at the same position as the horizontal metal strap that holds the tank in place. While it is unlikely that the rear panel would flex enough to contact the fuel tank under ordinary use and circumstances, one must consider the effect of a rear impact by another vehicle which has happened to me, hard enough to total my first Slingshot. I don't want to turn your Slingshot into a Ford Pinto. I also believe that the push pins are more secure than a self tapping screw into plastic. A self tapping screw could work loose over time with normal vibration and the impacts from irregularities in the road (potholes, RR tracks, etc.).

That being said, others have adapted the fastening system on these to their taste. I believe @Painter has used a stainless fastener that is similar in function to the plastic push pins. Another added small L brackets at the bottom of the plate for addition security. You can do whatever you feel will work best on your Slingshot, but I sell them as designed and fabricated.

Ours have been on for almost a year and thousands of miles. No issues with the tape or push pins.

Thanks for the input @dangerdarrell. Glad to hear they are holding up. I have not heard of any failures. You know I'm making some orange ones, right?