Rear Protection Anyone?

• I'm already rich, Joey. I just don't have a lot of money...

Just got to move somewhere that allows your money to go further. Texas seems right!

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• A quick post here for those having difficulty with payments. My Paypal account is under Sara Neal and my email is dsneal357 @ gmail dot com without spaces and with a . She has promised to buy me food with any proceeds! I will be off the computer for the next few hours so I won't be able to respond again until this afternoon. Thanks to all!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Here are a few pics of each of the 3 colors installed on my Slingshot. I tried to get decent lighting in the garage since we had a mist outside (missed Oregon and hit here), but got so-so results. I am finalizing instructions and packaging today and will ship to those who've paid this afternoon.

One thing I plan on is to paint the plastic fasteners red on my red panel to reduce the bolt-on look that I think they create. The gloss and flat black panels look fantastic.

Flat/Wrinkle Black:

Gloss Black (I guess I just got one pic - Gloss Black (I guess I just got one pic - they look much better than this):

Red:

Looks orange-ish in the pics but it (the Slingshot) is pearl red.

• Damn that looks great. What is the total on the red again?

RNJ12

• @SlingLow...you really knocked this out of the park my friend!!! They ALL look awesome!!!! :00000436:
    I don't think I could have went wrong no matter what color I chose!!!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• Damn that looks great. What is the total on the red again?

For now, $75 shipped. My first batch has defined my price and the red came in higher than expected as the powder cost considerably more than the others. I'm going to announce a small price increase later, after everyone here on this forum has a chance to respond to my offer.

Installation for anyone is free in my driveway. Not kidding.

Edited once, last by SlingLow ().

• The flat and gloss black plates went out yesterday to all who paid. I will send PMs with tracking info tonight but they all went USPS 2 day priority so they should be there quickly. The red plates are packaged and waiting for the red paint on the fasteners to dry. They should get sent today. There are still several of you out there who have expressed interest and I have plates in each color ready to send. Send a PM anytime to order one up! Hopefully some members will post up pics in the daily mod thread for others to see.

This 1st batch has defined my costs which were based on estimates. Accordingly I will increase the price of the flat black and gloss red plates by $5 after everyone gets a chance to respond here on this forum. The gloss black will remain the same. I'm also looking at shipping charge as the cost for most of the packages I just sent exceeded my $15 charge. This was because the packages sent exceeded a weight break by a fraction of an ounce while the one I used for estimate did not. My bad. I either need to reduce weight or charge more. I will keep it at $15 for anyone responding before an 'official' announcement.

Thank you all for your patience.

Payment sent. Prefer the larger diameter fasteners.

All plates were sent with the larger 3/4" fasteners as that is what I had on hand. If anyone wants the smaller 1/2" diameter fasteners, let me know. They just showed up today and I'd be happy to send you a couple, or include them with new orders if preferred.

• @SlingLow you shouldn't be sending these along with some $. If you are that close... well you need to at least get something for your effort! I'll give more, and I suspect many here will also pony up! You came up with the idea, and tried to help us out. Commendable, but shouldn't have a cost that you cover. We all all family (even if dysfunctional at times) and we help each other in way that we can. Let me know if you need more, $5, $10, $20.... more? I'm in if you are short!

• @SlingLow you shouldn't be sending these along with some $. If you are that close... well you need to at least get something for your effort! I'll give more, and I suspect many here will also pony up! You came up with the idea, and tried to help us out. Commendable, but shouldn't have a cost that you cover. We all all family (even if dysfunctional at times) and we help each other in way that we can. Let me know if you need more, $5, $10, $20.... more? I'm in if you are short!

Yeah, I'd rather cover your cost now than find out in 6 months that you want to charge my kids a $1 each just to come look at it installed on the back of my Sling....just tell us, man!

You're killin' me man! I'm working out the kinks and I already have your cash paypal. I'm good and am just explaining why the price will change when I post them up for sale on TDS. I just found out tonight that UPS is a better shipping option for the plates and it will stay at $15.. Seriously, we're talking a buck or two apiece. No matter what I'm going to be Rich!

Thanks for caring!

Yeah, I'd rather cover your cost now than find out in 6 months that you want to charge my kids a $1 each just to come look at it installed on the back of my Sling....just tell us, man!

Can I do that? Hmm,royalties...

• No doubt. More than happy to pay my fair share. You are going to alot of extra effort to be a good guy. It isn't like you doing this to get rich. Besides, I am getting a quality looking product that would have been mega more on a commercial site!!! I am in for whatever more you need!!! Let me know!!! Thank you for the the "team" play and expertise!!

CDCAMEL6

• I did send out the red plates today via UPS. They have a 7 day shipping estimate and should be there early next week. I will send tracking info as soon as I land.

Busy day today - check the luggage rack thread if you're interested.

• I did send out the red plates today via UPS. They have a 7 day shipping estimate and should be there early next week. I will send tracking info as soon as I land.

Busy day today - check the luggage rack thread if you're interested.

No doubt. More than happy to pay my fair share. You are going to alot of extra effort to be a good guy. It isn't like you doing this to get rich. Besides, I am getting a quality looking product that would have been mega more on a commercial site!!! I am in for whatever more you need!!! Let me know!!! Thank you for the the "team" play and expertise!!

CDCAMEL6

Fu€k it send me PayPal information as I want red. I'm confident I won't mess this up. If I do I will just buy a new back plastic plate.

RNJ12

• For those who are wondering what the installation procedure is for the rear plates, here are the complete instructions. While it may seem lengthy, each step is fairly simple and quick:

Rear Plate Installation – Polaris Slingshot – 2015/2016/2017

The rear protection plate can be installed and removed without removing the rear panel, however, it will be necessary to remove the panel in order to apply adequate pressure to adhere the 3M tape. It is also much easier to properly locate and drill the holes with the rear panel removed. Please note that the gas tank is located immediately in front of the rear panel. While the fastener holes are located behind a metal strap holding the gas tank, any attempt to drill the holes in place will risk penetration of the tank.

To install rear plate:

1.Remove two push fasteners from lower left edge and one push fastener from lower right edge of rear panel.
    2.Remove four T25 screws from left edge and four T25 screws from right edge of rear panel.
    3.Remove three T40 bolts from center of bottom edge of rear panel.
    4.Remove four T40 bolts from the top edge of the rear panel.
    5.Loosen the panel by working the top edge out from under the lower deck panel above it while keeping the lower edge of the panel in the forward position. If you pull the lower edge back towards the rear tire, it will make it more difficult to clear the top.
    6.Use a 15mm socket to remove the lower rear shock mount nut from the shock mount bolt.
    7.Place a jack under the right rear lift point and lift the Slingshot slowly until the shock mount bolt is finger loose and remove the bolt by hand. Secure the vehicle with a jack stand for safety.
    8.Raise the bottom end of the rear shock to remove the rear panel over the top of the rear tire. Replace the rear shock bolt temporarily for safety.
    9.Place the rear panel on a flat surface then place the rear plate in place on the rear panel. Carefully position it snugly in place left to right while using the radius cut for the shock hole to align it up and down.
    10.Mark the center of the two holes with a fine tip sharpie. Remove the rear plate.
    11.For increased accuracy, use an exacto knife or similar sharp point to mark the center of each hole location.
    12.Use a 1/8” drill bit to drill two pilot holes.
    13.Use a 5/16” drill bit to drill the two fastener holes through the pilot holes.
    14.Replace rear plate on rear panel to ensure alignment of the holes.
    15.Thoroughly clean rear panel of all dirt, grime and residue. Use a degreaser if necessary.
    16.Clean all areas of rear panel where 3M tape will be attached with Isopropyl alcohol.
    17.Release the tape backing.
    18.For increased adhesion, use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat the plastic in the areas where tape will attach as well as the rear plate itself. 3M recommends an installation temperature of 50-100 degrees with 70-100 degrees being ideal.
    19.Place the rear panel on the floor and carefully lay the plate in place on the panel, making sure that the radius cut and fastener holes align.
    20.Per 3M specs, apply a minimum of 15 lbs pressure per square inch for a minimum of 60 seconds. One person can do this by placing hands and knees on the corners and center of plate for the desired time. 50% of ultimate bond strength will be achieved after 20 minutes, 90% after 24 hours and 100% after 72 hours.
    21.Install the base of each fastener through the fastener holes then install the center pin in the fastener and depress fully.
    22.Make sure the shock bolt is finger loose and remove the bolt.
    23.Raise the shock and replace the rear panel over the top of the rear tire.
    24.Replace the shock bolt and nut. Use a 15mm socket and 17mm wrench to snug the nut.
    25.Lower the Slingshot to the floor and torque the shock mount bolt to 50 lbs +/- 4 lbs/sq in.
    26.Work the top edge of the rear panel back up over the lower deck panel above it.
    27.Replace four T40 bolts on the top edge of the rear panel.
    28.Replace four T25 screws on left edge and four T25 screws on right edge of rear panel.
    29.Replace three T40 bolts in center of bottom edge of rear panel.
    30.Replace two push fasteners on lower left edge and one push fastener on lower right edge of rear panel.
    31.Ride baby, ride!

For touch up or repair of the clear coat on the gloss black or red, use Cardinal Clear Gloss A-4178-CL01 (spray can) or other clear gloss equivalent.