Phones and driving.....

• Thursday night my wife was driving home from work. After being stopped a few cars back at a red light, she happened to look in the rear view mirror and saw headlights coming up quickly. The next thing she remembers is a jarring impact. Someone had run into the back of her car.
    She gets out of the car to check The damage and The young girl who hit her gets out of her car and says, "I'm so sorry. I was on my phone. I didn't see you"
    I met them at the accident site and asked my wife if she was ok. She said she was ok, but really sore and stiff. She thought she just needed to rest and she'd be ok. So, we went home.
    Well, the next morning, she didn't feel any better, so, we went and got her checked out.
    The xrays showed the results.
    A fracture of the C5 vertebrae.
    So, now she's in a collar until we get her CT scan today and learn the extent of the damage and what had to be done to repair it.
    All this because someone thought that something on their phone was more important than paying attention to the road.
    My wife was lucky that it wasn't worse.
    Please, stay off your phone while driving. It's not worth someone else's life or your own. Nothing on your phone is that important any it can't wait.

Sent from my phone using my big fat fingers to push the buttons

• Sorry to hear that someone's stupidity caused your wife to suffer!!! :00008862::00008862::00008862:
    We are prying for her full & speedy recovery @Joker256!!!

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• I think anyone in an accident using their phone should get at least double the penalties if not more. this phone stuff is just way out of hand. I don't know how many times I saw people crossing the double yellow line yesterday when I was out for a ride. I can see them driving with their phone on talking or looking down and probably texting.

• So sorry for your wife's injuries. Glad she's not feeling worse. From the looks of the X-ray she has had some previous injuries to her neck. Could have been from years ago. The lipping and spurring present on the anterior portion of C4-C6 has been there awhile. There is also a great deal of disc degeneration between those same vertebrae. Not completely sure without seeing the film up close but with the calcification present around the fractured area it may be an old fracture that was re aggravated in the accident. It also looks like the anterior/inferior (beak)portion of C4 was fractured probably from the head being thrown forward. It's amazing she is not in worse pain. Lord was watching over her.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

Dochatley
    Dallas, Texas

• So sorry for your wife's injuries. Glad she's not feeling worse. From the looks of the X-ray she has had some previous injuries to her neck. Could have been from years ago. The lipping and spurring present on the anterior portion of C4-C6 has been there awhile. There is also a great deal of disc degeneration between those same vertebrae. Not completely sure without seeing the film up close but with the calcification present around the fractured area it may be an old fracture that was re aggravated in the accident. It also looks like the anterior/inferior (beak)portion of C4 was fractured probably from the head being thrown forward. It's amazing she is not in worse pain. Lord was watching over her.

I'm not only a doctor... I own a Slingshot... :thumbsup:

• Thats the one thing I've noticed about the SS compared to riding a motorcycle. On a bike I can see into a car if someone is messing around with a phone. In the SS you sit so low you have no way of knowing until they are already in your lane. Here is the crap stay of NY that they pretty strict cell phone laws (5 point violation) but people still are always on them.

• I'm sorry this happened also! Very glad she is not worse, or in more pain than she's dealing with! That is a large part of why my wife and I gravitate to the Slingshot over the Harleys. We still love to ride, but people are just too distracted and most of that is cell phones. If they hit us with 2 tons of rolling steel and plastic, it might damage the vehicle enough to keep them from driving home. On a bike however, a minor fender bender usually equates to broken bones if not much worse than that. About 700 miles have been put on my Harley this season, and 12,000 on the Slingshot. The SS is definitely the "go to" one.....

Thanks for the info! She had her CT yesterday. Won't get the results until Thursday though.
    What would normally by done in a situation like this?

• Thanks for the info! She had her CT yesterday. Won't get the results until Thursday though.
    What would normally by done in a situation like this?

If everything is stable, the neck brace for a few weeks and ibuprofen for the pain and inflammation if she's able to take it. MRI would show if any nerve involvement as well as exam. I'm guessing other than pain and possible weakness she is showing no signs of neurological deficits or they probably would have kept her in the hospital. It may look bad but I have seen a lot worse. She really was lucky even though she may not feel much like it right now. I'd definitely recommend physical therapy when she is able. Without doing exams it's hard to say exactly but from what little I see I think she will recover well. Avoid surgery unless it is absolutely needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

Dochatley
    Dallas, Texas

• If everything is stable, the neck brace for a few weeks and ibuprofen for the pain and inflammation if she's able to take it. MRI would show if any nerve involvement as well as exam. I'm guessing other than pain and possible weakness she is showing no signs of neurological deficits or they probably would have kept her in the hospital. It may look bad but I have seen a lot worse. She really was lucky even though she may not feel much like it right now. I'd definitely recommend physical therapy when she is able. Without doing exams it's hard to say exactly but from what little I see I think she will recover well. Avoid surgery unless it is absolutely needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

Thanks! I appreciate the insight!