Carbon Fiber Side View Mirrors

• I posted this elsewhere, but it hasn't gotten much traction. I am reposting because I don't want anyone who may be interested, missing out just because they didn't see it.

I have a Carbon Fiber guy that says these would be no problem to make. To make one pair, he said it would cost $750. Two sets would be $1000 for both, or $500 a set. And the price continues to go down with each set made. So with that in mind, the more folks we can get to commit the lower we all pay. So let's say $300 a set, and that could possibly get even lower depending on the number of orders. So if you're seriously interested, send me a PM and I'll look at starting to take pre-orders.

To clarify, the intent will be to use your stock mirror parts, simply switching out the plastic housing for the carbon fiber housing. The carbon fiber housing will look very similar to the stock housing. For those who are unsure about switching the housings out, I may be able to set something up where I switch out the housings for you so all you have to do is simply bolt them up. I'm looking to have a final number sooner than later. With that in mind, I will say I need serious commitments by the end of the month.

One more thing, these may take a while. By a while I mean a few months. I have to organize getting everybody's order together that is serious about wanting a set of these and this guy is extremely busy so it could take some time. If you can't be patient this deal won't be for you.

• Okay folks, first I want to give a huge thank you to @lrobbi for volunteering his set of factory mirrors. I have sent them to my guy to start working with and seeing what he can come up with as far as using the stock mirror housings to form molds off of.

@kev hit me up with a question via PM regarding snagging, burring and uneven thread patterns in the carbon fiber pieces. I don't want anyone to jump in on this with unrealistic expectations. I have never seen a "perfect" piece made of carbon fiber. If you look hard enough, you will almost always find an "imperfection" somewhere. To me, this is a signature mark of genuine carbon fiber pieces. I don't want it to be everywhere and excessive, but I understand it happens when laying carbon fiber. I talked to the guy doing the work and he explained that their are two ways to layup carbon fiber.

The infusion method and the wet layup method.

Infusion Method - layup is done with dry carbon fiber and the resin is infused through the carbon fiber. He says this greatly reduces weave distortion and he can typically avoid distortion unless their are extremely tight corners. He seems to be pretty confident he can do these well, but says he'll know better when he has the stock parts I sent him in hand.

Wet layup method is pretty much what it sounds like and is much more likely to stretch and distort.

@jluna317 also asked about a warranty. Most likely there will be at least a 1 year warranty on them, possibly longer. The intent is for the mirrors to be clear coated with a quality automotive clear coat which will reduce fading and yellowing. That is part of the higher cost on these.

Right now I am tracking the following as being in for a set of these:

@av8ingtom
    @Jdin
    @lrobbi
    @TheRock
    @jluna317 x2
    @Rob the Slob
    @Andy Hatch
    @Ice9812
    @Tango

Am I missing anyone?

@Cameron Roberts
    @STYLN
    @Tango

Any of you guys interested?

• Thanks again brother for doing this... your all over this!

WE WERE ALL HUMANS UNTIL
    RACE DISCONNECTED US,
    RELIGION SEPERATED US,
    POLITICS DIVIDED US,
    AND WEALTH CLASSIFIED US.

• @TheRock is there a chance that you could figure out milestones for pricing, it could possibly motivate someone to join the list if let's say just 1 more is needed to meet a goal.
    Example
    10 people = $300
    15 = $275
    20 = $250

Prices are made up so don't anyone get their panties in a bunch over them.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Hey @Neosolidus while I understand where you are coming from, I don't have a break down of how exactly the pricing will fall out. I don't want to keep pinging the guy either. He is super swamped right now as he is in high demand for the upcoming SEMA event. I'm hoping to get down to about $250 a set, but I think $300 may be more realistic. There is a point where the price per set won't go any lower as the labor that goes into each set wouldn't be worth the time or effort. The mold making process is what is so expensive up front and is what is getting divided up amongst everyone. This is expected to be a one time run and much better priced than some of the other options I've seen. I also have faith that these will be a better option as well.

• Lame Bro!!

Well, you have to understand that his play money has also taken a hit lately. His big venture to sell pools to the North Koreans via the Chinese has kind of taken a hit lately, since the general plan seems to be to turn them into one giant parking lot and no room for pools.