Smoking issue when using oil pan as return location for turbo oil drain.

• I do not smoke anymore. I ended up just install a Tilton oil scavenge pump. And I'm using the factory oil return bung. Dave has all the hose specs and I think he may have a pump. It worked like a champ on mine. I even took the opportunity to go with a bigger turbo when I was working in that tight exhaust area.

I even got all fancy and ran the pump on one of my Nutrino Black Box circuits. And I let it run for 15 seconds after I shut off the engine. It get the hot oil on out of the turbo so it doesn't get all gummy.

• rabtech, I've been running an Alpha Turbo kit for years and I'm now getting constant exhaust smoke. I noticed the turbo is leaking oil as well now. Just removed it and sent it to Precision to get it repaired.

Before I found this thread, I was already looking at installing a scavenge pump as I figured it was a drain issue that finally took my turbo oil seals out. It's helpful you posted pics of the pump location you used as I was wondering where I could mount it. So thanks for that.

Question I have is do you have any pics to show how you ran the hoses? And just that pump in between turbo drain and the pan return was all you needed?

• rabtech, I've been running an Alpha Turbo kit for years and I'm now getting constant exhaust smoke. I noticed the turbo is leaking oil as well now. Just removed it and sent it to Precision to get it repaired.

Before I found this thread, I was already looking at installing a scavenge pump as I figured it was a drain issue that finally took my turbo oil seals out. It's helpful you posted pics of the pump location you used as I was wondering where I could mount it. So thanks for that.

Question I have is do you have any pics to show how you ran the hoses? And just that pump in between turbo drain and the pan return was all you needed?

rabtech will send Rab a note to respond....

• This is how my drain and feed are situated. I cut the hose shorter when I originally installed it, so it always has a decline and only slightly level in the middle.

MACAWS The front oil pan return is situated higher than where I have it? Would that really be required to eliminate the smoke? I figured the pump and a check valve would eliminate the backing up entirely.

• I was told by other riders that I'd always put out a small bit of smoke after idling. Other than that, no issues. I know it's another thing to maintain, but think about the hundred of things I'm already maintaining in a way that could go wrong as well lol. If that was the mentality, we'd all be riding around on unicycles. :-P

I can easily wire in a relay off the fuel pump to power the scavenge pump. I only got 10k miles off this turbo, that's doesn't seem all that great. If a pump would make it last longer, it would pay for itself.