Update - Aug 2018 -Missouri AutoCycle Law Change

• It will be funny to see if they (Elio) show up at SEMA this year.

I put $100 all in over 3 years ago. I thought it was a decent concept, but was not willing to throw $1000 at it. The reason was two fold. First, I wasn't sure they could build a dependable/reliable vehicle with up to 84 MPG for $6800. Second, I didn't really want one of the first ones built, I hoped to get one that was built better and there would likely be a learning curve of sorts. Not to mention, the other $900 in my pocket allowed me to get one of your tops and still have enough to take the wife out to a nice dinner! ;) They told me 15 months until they started delivering them. That would have been Sept 2015. They are still saying 15 months.... 3 years later. And they have very little operating capital left at this point.

I think it would sell well. I think there's a real need for many people to have something like the Elio. Something reasonably safe, dependable, great gas mileage, and cheap to buy. Even if it comes, I'll likely not get one at this point. My '15 Impala is comfortable, dependable, and I'm doing better than 32 MPG to and from work with it. After having the Slingshot, I don't think I'd ever be happy with an Elio. Too Slooooooooooooooow......

• I put $100 all in over 3 years ago. I thought it was a decent concept, but was not willing to throw $1000 at it. The reason was two fold. First, I wasn't sure they could build a dependable/reliable vehicle with up to 84 MPG for $6800. Second, I didn't really want one of the first ones built, I hoped to get one that was built better and there would likely be a learning curve of sorts. Not to mention, the other $900 in my pocket allowed me to get one of your tops and still have enough to take the wife out to a nice dinner! ;) They told me 15 months until they started delivering them. That would have been Sept 2015. They are still saying 15 months.... 3 years later. And they have very little operating capital left at this point.
    I think it would sell well. I think there's a real need for many people to have something like the Elio. Something reasonably safe, dependable, great gas mileage, and cheap to buy. Even if it comes, I'll likely not get one at this point. My '15 Impala is comfortable, dependable, and I'm doing better than 32 MPG to and from work with it. After having the Slingshot, I don't think I'd ever be happy with an Elio. Too Slooooooooooooooow......

They must be following the lead set by Polaris' now famous 2 WEEKS statement

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• I put $100 all in over 3 years ago. I thought it was a decent concept, but was not willing to throw $1000 at it. The reason was two fold. First, I wasn't sure they could build a dependable/reliable vehicle with up to 84 MPG for $6800. Second, I didn't really want one of the first ones built, I hoped to get one that was built better and there would likely be a learning curve of sorts. Not to mention, the other $900 in my pocket allowed me to get one of your tops and still have enough to take the wife out to a nice dinner! ;) They told me 15 months until they started delivering them. That would have been Sept 2015. They are still saying 15 months.... 3 years later. And they have very little operating capital left at this point.

At least we got a shirt and a bumper sticker out of the deal!

Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing.
    Moderation is for cowards.

• At this point I'm likely all out. I don't think they will make it anyway, but even if they do I doubt I'll have interest by the time they come out with it. I really wanted more power, in a lower price range. When I spoke with them in June of 2014, they were already talking about an SS type model with a larger engine or putting turbo on their power plant (which wasn't built yet). I'd have been a buyer in 2015, when they first said I'd be able to get one. Now they are out of money, and even if they get the one "Green" available money to be switched to include gas vehicles and are able to get it, it will be 2019 or 2020. I'll be in my 60's by then.

I wanted it for a commuter to and from work mostly. Now, I ride the SS when nice, and have a 2015 Impala Limited (the carry over body) that gets me over 32 MPG and I ride in quiet and comfort. We own two cars, a Z71 pickup, a trailer, the Slingshot, and two Harleys. I just don't think I'm in the market now.

• Here's something official from MSHP

Long story short, a person is still required to wear a helmet in an autocycle that does not have a roof. I confirmed this with our training division. The change in the law from “completely enclosed” to “partially enclosed” is interpreted as a roof, but no doors. Whereas prior to the change, you were required to have the passenger area of an autocycle entirely enclosed to be exempt from the helmet requirement. Currently, the law now requires only a roof that meets or exceeds the standards established for protective headgear. This leads to the question of “But what about a car with a convertible top? Why are they not required to wear helmets?” The most likely answer to that would be that the car has a forth wheel.
    My apologies about the confusion on this topic.
    Thank you,
    Scott
    The new law reads:
    304.005. Autocycle—defined—protective headgear not required, whenvalid driver's license required to operate. — 1. As used in this section, the term “autocycle” means a three-wheeled motor vehicle which the drivers and passengers ride in a partially or completely enclosed non-straddle seating area, that is designed to be controlled with a steering wheel and pedals, and that has met applicable Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration requirements or Federal Motorcycle Safety Standards.
    2. Notwithstanding subsection 2 of section 302.020, a person operating or riding in an autocycle shall not be required to wear protective headgear if the vehicle is equipped with a roof that meets or exceeds the standards established for protective headgear.
    3. No person shall operate an autocycle on any highway or street in this state unless the person has a valid driver’s license. The operator of an autocycle, however, shall not be required to obtain a motorcycle or motor-tricycle license or endorsement pursuant to sections 302.010 to 302.340.
    Sergeant Scott White
    Public Information and Education Officer
    Troop F, Jefferson City
    Missouri State Highway Patrol

• The difference between a convertible and a Slingshot is ....auto....cycle. They are defining it more as a motorcycle than an auto...and none of the roofs out right now are approved as a roof to meet the head gear standards...that I know of.

• Here's something official from MSHP

Long story short, a person is still required to wear a helmet in an autocycle that does not have a roof. Currently, the law now requires only a roof that meets or exceeds the standards established for protective headgear.

So basically, you still must wear a helmet in Missouri in a Slingshot. While I do believe that many of the tops would give a good deal of protection, all of the manufacturers use some disclaimer stating (in whatever wording their lawyers come up with) that it is not a roll over bar.

• The difference between a convertible and a Slingshot is ....auto....cycle. They are defining it more as a motorcycle than an auto...and none of the roofs out right now are approved as a roof to meet the head gear standards...that I know of.

A convertible is manufactured and crash tested to automotive standards, the sling is manufactured to motorcycle standards and not crash tested.

• Prior to the changes you needed a helmet (no helmet fine $25, no points).
    Now you still need a helmet (fine not restricted to $25 and points my be taken).
    Prior to the change seatbelts were optional. (Motorcycles are exempt)
    Now seatbelts are required.
    Prior to the change you needed a motorcycle endorsement.
    Now you only need a driver's license.

I'm so glad it's an autocycle now.

• @Red
    Great info and thank Office White for the information. I still don't agree based on the way it is written and your response is timely as:

I was pulled over this morning on my way to work on I-29 by an office on a motorcycle. He asked where my helmet was, I stated that the law changed in Aug. and I no longer needed one.
    After a few words back and forth I presented him with a copy of the law change in Aug. - he said, wait here.
    After several other officers arrived and more discussion was had it all turned out very cordial and none of the officers knew of any law change, they thanked me for the information. They all also threw there hands up and handed me my license and said get out here we have no idea if you need a helmet or not.

Whoever wrote this law really screwed the pouch on this one. Before it was very clear, helmet was required, now it is very subjective and everyone has a different option. Thanks for that MO.

DDM Stage 2 SuperCharger
    1320 Manifold
    WP Dual Exhaust
    Custom Blue /w ghosting

• @Red
    Great info and thank Office White for the information. I still don't agree based on the way it is written and your response is timely as:

I was pulled over this morning on my way to work on I-29 by an office on a motorcycle. He asked where my helmet was, I stated that the law changed in Aug. and I no longer needed one.
    After a few words back and forth I presented him with a copy of the law change in Aug. - he said, wait here.
    After several other officers arrived and more discussion was had it all turned out very cordial and none of the officers knew of any law change, they thanked me for the information. They all also threw there hands up and handed me my license and said get out here we have no idea if you need a helmet or not.

Whoever wrote this law really screwed the pouch on this one. Before it was very clear, helmet was required, now it is very subjective and everyone has a different option. Thanks for that MO.

Thanks for this write up I will make sure my job does t transfer me to MO.

RNJ12

• So at this point I just got off the phone a friend of mine at KCPD north patrol(same division that pulled me over this morning). They have been running the traps on this all day. Literally the whole department has been talking about this today. They have been talking to the MOHP as well. Still at this time no one knows the correct answer to helmet or no helmet.

This is the craziest thing I have ever seen. The law makers of MO deserve a medal for this one.

DDM Stage 2 SuperCharger
    1320 Manifold
    WP Dual Exhaust
    Custom Blue /w ghosting